Ren'Py - Abandoned - Extra Classes Resurgam [v0.12.0] [Lew3Dy]

1. 2.00 star(s)

Zippity

The following review is based off my personal experience with playing this Game/Visual Novel... I try to be as brutally honest and detailed as I can, and these are my own opinions and thoughts, from one or more play throughs... The version this review is based on is v0.10.0...

This is a pretty yet completely far fetched and confusing game with some issues/bugs to work out... This is yet another game that will include the over used Family Sex stuff...

The visuals of the characters are pretty decent... The backdrops are decent as well... The user interface needs some work... The buttons for moving around the house would be better if they constantly showed, rather then hiding after every room click, plus they are not labeled at all (either when hovering over them or not)... There is no tutorial or walk through to go over the UI's overall use, so you have to best guess and experiment to figure them all out... There are mini-games for all skill ups as well as making money... The one for making money is a major pain in the butt, and bugs out sometimes... When it bugs out, the bars start on the right and not all of them are moveable... So you end up getting stuck not being able to make more money, since the reset button does nothing to fix it...

The script is not the best, as it is a mix of broken English, good English, spelling/grammar errors, and sometimes overall confusion... The plot revolves around a male protagonist who's father recently died, and a woman takes him to his fathers house to read the last will... From going through all that non-sense you get a choice to Accept the knowledge or Reject it... Now, the whole reading of the will sequence feels so haphazardly thrown together that it is a bit confusing... And you get the feeling that the game will play one of two ways, but that is all a misconception... If you Reject the knowledge and just take the money/house then the game just ends back to the main menu, the end (player punishment and waste of time)... If you Accept the knowledge then the woman takes over as legal guardian of the money/house for the protagonist while he gains some sort of strange abilities from some drug he is given...

The whole play out and concept for giving the protagonist the ability to literally see his skills and stats in number format, as well as having a quest to seduce lots of women, have sex with them, and so forth is both ludicrous in how the story tells you about it and confusing at the same time based on how the text explains it all... From there you go out into the world and have to work on skills, relationship information (likes and dislikes), make money, etc... Some of the mini-games, albeit somewhat unique for a Ren'py game, are such a major pain in the buttocks (i.e. the bar movement game)... Plus the conversations the protagonist has with his mom feel so artificial and over the top, not so much with the sister... The game visually looks clean and crisp, but the text and game play, all make this whole thing give off a bad vibe...

Overall, the story concept is not portrayed very well to the reader/player, and it all feels so artificial with barely any immersion into the plot or game play... The bug with making money makes it impossible to work on some of the skills, and the character interaction with other characters doesn't feel fluid and meaningful... The game play mechanics are ok, but all the backing story text and dialogue doesn't live up to the same standards as the visuals, even when it's in decent English... Now, this game is very early in it's development, from what I can tell, so perhaps it will improve with time... Will I retry this game at some point? Probably not, and that is mostly due to that one pain the butt mini-game as well as over the top plot concept... Only time will tell...