VN - Ren'Py - Extra Credit [v0.8b] [Doc5252]

1. 3.00 star(s)

ubira

I must say, I started playing this game with no expectations, I started just for the girls and stayed for the jokes and humor, right away I already saw that this game is not one to be taken seriously in terms of the story.. but with the Over time you see that the game has a story that is a little more elaborate than it was at the beginning, but what bothers me a little about this game is that it makes you feel at ease and doesn't reward you later, you know? For example, the half demon who is your daughter's "sister" keeps teasing you, you really want to be with her, but you never stay because your daughter doesn't let you, but you also don't stay with your daughter because your character doesn't like incest, and the older demon who is supposed to be your main girlfriend can't have you because of a contract that sounds more like a gamble in my opinion.. and every time you finally get to be with someone, it's just a dream.. I don't see the point in getting so many girls into a guy if he can't really be with any of them.
  2. 2.00 star(s)

Hedylogos

I started off really liking the games put out by Doc5252, but it really has become tedious to play them now. Beyond the heavy dose of exposition, the characters are all so similar in their mannerisms. It just becomes a bore and lacks any real depth, which says a lot because of the forementioned exposition.

The graphics are decent enough as is the animation, but the characters are just not that good.

Would rather see a bit clearer storylines with less wall of texts.
  3. 3.00 star(s)

shrubby2

Man, I really want to like this dev's games, but... I feel generous giving it three stars, it seems like it should be good but after a while you realize it's just tons and tons of pointless exposition,

I appreciate their sense of humor, but there's just no payout with this game. It's just dull. Funny once in a while.
  4. 5.00 star(s)

Smarmint

Extra Credit is really fun. I am not sure what some people are referring to about the game having romantic scenes, in any way, with anyone else besides the MC. It doesn't. All the female characters are hot for the MC, and the MC only, if you are on the fence about trying it out. Those that are confused, play until the end of the last update, and all will be revealed.

What really makes this game very good is the humor. Practically every other line in the game gets at least a chuckle, and some are laugh out loud hilarious. Extra Credit jokes around quite a bit about AVN themes and tropes, among other things. If you've played a ton of AVNs like many of us, you'll most likely get a lot of the humor in Extra Credit.

It's a pretty good evolution compared to Doc's other game. It's still a crazy story, ultimately, but it has a more semi-serious tone that I enjoy. In this game, the characters seem more like actual people, only slightly exaggerated, compared to the over the top characters in the other game. Plus, you spend more time as the MC getting to know them, so there is that character relationship evolution that I enjoy as a player.

The only minor quibble I have is that in many of the scenes, the same couple of renders per character are used for tens of lines of dialog. I don't expect every line of dialog to have a new pose or facial expression, but it would be a big improvement, I think, to have more than two renders per character for a 50 line scene. It's not a deal breaker, by any means, which is why I rate this game highly, but it is a little distracting as a player, and takes one out of the immersion a bit.

But the renders are great, and a big improvement over some of the dev's earlier work.

All in all, its a lot of fun, and you owe it to yourself to at least give it a try. Most likely, you will find it quite funny, as I do.
  5. 4.00 star(s)

_tewi

Great renders and exceptionally cute girls (especially as they receive improved looks/hairstyles as the game goes on), slightly brought down by being over the top ridiculous and randomly introducing sex scenes with girls you don't care about (why do so many games do this?) that don't really get enough time, angles or buildup to feel worth the time spent to get to them... Beyond that, there's a huge disconnect felt between the player and the game, perhaps intended, but a negative for me all the same. One part of being too over the top and not having any stable base of perspective (an actually present protagonist, for example, which this game lacks) is that the reader is just kind of thrust into an unrelatable world with no real motivation to make sense of it like they would if they had a protagonist to latch onto and perhaps find some relation in said protagonists shared inability to make sense of what the actual fuck is happening at any given time. If that makes sense... essentially the game should be as crazy as it is, and that's fine, but being a floating camera on top of that just makes it all feel too disjointed. So, these are pretty meaningful negatives, yet 4 stars... well, cute as fuck girls do a lot for me tbh, but also the dialogue does grow on you over time -- while you never truly feel apart of it, it does still manage to follow some consistency in its insanity, and what starts off as a train wreck...well, it remains one, but overtime you kinda realize you have a fetish for mangled corpses and steel.
  6. 1.00 star(s)

Gojin20

So, you've got the adopted daughter and her half-sister. The half-sister wants to build you a harem. There are devil children, ghosts, and angel children, sure got it. interesting... until you find out that the half-sister is telling the story to some different guy who she is now in his harem. They basically tell you right at the beginning of the story that 1 of the 2 main characters doesn't end up with you and is sleeping with someone else. I am sorry, I can't get interested in the story anymore. I've already lost interest in a major part of the story. What is the point of continuing to play the game?
  7. 5.00 star(s)

JinxDefusing

Doc's games aren't for everyone. The same can be said about any dev, really. But there is something very fucking weird and exceptional about Doc's style. To appreciate his games, you have to either be completely depraved/ fucked in the head, be infatuated with lolis , pregnancy, and/orr incest, enjoy absurdist humor, appreciate satire regarding the current state of AVNs, be OK with the occasional fucked up looking 3d model, and you have to like character that are just plain fucking weird and quirky, and on some occasions, seemingly autistic.

I haven't played through the entirety of every one of Doc's games. However, I will probably eventually get around to it. These aren't necessarily the kinds of games that I feel compelled to get through right away. However, they are great whenever I am bored with what else is available or whenever I am just tired of playing games that are way too serious when I would rather just have a few good chuckles followed by a solid wank or two.

However, Extra Credit already stands above the rest of Doc's games. Yes, that includes 23 sisters, IMHO. Don't get the wrong idea- this game is still infused with Doc's signature style. But there is growth here. Or at least a change that I happen to like so far.

First of all, let me address something that is a potential deal breaker for a lot of you fucking nerds and neckbeards who have decided to read this far into this poorly written, drug-fueled tangent that I am hammering out while completely nude and sprawled out on the cold tiles of my kitchen floor, even though I was supposed to report to work like 5 hours ago.

There is a pretty huge leap in the quality of the art. Every now and then, there will be an awkward angle that makes a character look like a retarded mongoloid from Neptune. But I'm talking maybe like 3 or 4 renders rather than everyone looking like a fucking mutant throughout most of the game.

It's hard for me to refer to the player's character as MC. Because I would argue that the main characters are the ladies in this game. They dominate most of the scenes and dialogue. I'm not saying MC is a bitch ass submissive pussy. I just mean that he is not a fucking demi- god who shoots his cum off from the center of the universe throughout the entire game, which is basically the only goddamn character forumla that you will find in most AVNs lately.

MCs role is still essential- he is the reason the other characters even come together. I mean, we are clearly headed towards a harem-style game, and it is definitely MC's harem. But he doesn't seem to be making any deliberate effort to ceating a harem for himself. It's probably more accurate to say that the perverted females in this game are working towards building a harem for him. ANd so the game is more focused on their desires and efforts to make that happen.

Also, the player is not really looking through MCs eyes. Rather it is like you are an audience member/ seeing things from a 3rd person perspective, since MC is not even present during most of the scenes. This is not totally unique- there are a decent handful of popular devs who present their games in this manner. You will appreciate this perspective if you don't care much for the egocentricity that is rampant in so many AVNs. It does feel a bit passive sometimes, but that's fine by me.

The female characters are some of the cutest I've seen in a while and they are FUCKING HILARIOUS. And yes, many of them are little sluts. And I suspect that they will all become slutty sooner or later. But they are the kind of sluts that you still enjoy having around long after you have finished making your last deposit of the day at the cum dump.

Anyways, it's still very early. This 5-star rating could change. It's hard to say exactly where the plot is headed. But I'm excited to find out. And that's more than I can say for the majority of new games I've played over the last couple of months.
  8. 3.00 star(s)

Kreblin12

Girls are cute, but pretty much look all the same except for different haistyle. There is some nudity, but no sexual tension. It's essentialy just pictures of cute girls, all very harmless. Story and dialog is very boring.
    Rating based on V0.3 Alpha
  9. 5.00 star(s)

DigDug69

This dev has other games that he is still working on (One almost finished) that are absolutely hilarious. He has very quickly gained a reputation for having a completely warped sense of humor, and a mind that could make Kinko the Clown envious. This game is still brand new, so it still needs time for a decent amount of content, but it is well worth keeping an eye on.
  10. 3.00 star(s)

Rannell

Everything about this AVN is average except the dialogue/story. It couldn't be more boring. The same arguments between two of the NPC's are so repetitious that it becomes annoying very fast. The creator obviously needed a break from his other AVN and so made this.
  11. 2.00 star(s)

Dudlbert

0.1c

If you get a fresh IP and you get dumber by the second playing it, its kinda scary.

With one of the shortest and weirdest synopsis i saw here its more than strange that the game tells you absolutely nothing about why anything is the way it is... You just get thrown into the wonky story which btw seems to be just a story told from the past.

Maybe this game will get better but for it to happen, there is an extreme need for backround and explanations for literally everything happening...
  12. 5.00 star(s)

Mr Smut

Good demo, sweet and to the point. I enjoy Doc5252's humor so I might be a bit biased. Still hoping that there will be more in the future.

Just a bit of nudity, no sex yet, some tie-ins to his other games to give you an idea of the universe you are entering.

Seems a bit safer than some of his other works which I am a devout follower of, but than again it is just a small demo so only time will tell. If it goes beyond demo I will be back to update my review on the regular. Cheers Doc, love your work and regular updates on your supporter pages!