Java Extracted a Jar file, now I'm stuck with .cmp files

polynerph

Apr 30, 2017
I decompiled a jar file from a game to get the CGs, I managed to find the content but the problem is that they are all saved in a format that I've never seen before.
the files have cmp extentions.
a sample file is attached.

Name of the game: Lewd Maze

W65

May 31, 2018
I decompiled a jar file from a game to get the CGs, I managed to find the content but the problem is that they are all saved in a format that I've never seen before.
the files have cmp extentions.
a sample file is attached.

Name of the game: Lewd Maze
My uneducated guess is that it's due to an implementation of some kind of compression/encryption on the part of the devs, possibly to keep people from using their assets, or possibly just a custom compression scheme. This is based on a few minutes of looking into what a cmp file means to Java on Google and no actual knowledge.

7Zip seems to think it's a broken LZMA-compressed container, which it probably isn't actually.

A better Java coder than I am might be able to get something more by examining the code, but my wild and probably wrong guess is that you'd need to have an applet whipped up specifically to convert them to pngs or bmps or whatever they actually are. I'm guessing from the file size (and the fact that "cmp" could be "bmp" with the first letter frobbed or meaning "compressed bitmap") that they're uncompressed-probably-bitmaps, which I guess isn't a problem since I think jars end up compressed.

You might consider looking through the Lewd Maze thread on this site, which I think one of the devs of the game posts in. Dunno at the end of the day if it's an IP protection thing or just some weird new compression or image format I don't know anything about. Hell, you might even ask the devs themselves, although I don't know how they feel about making gallery mods for their games or whatever you'd end up needing to do.

Reactions: polynerph