Tutorial Others Extracting Games That Use NW.js (node-webkit)

SlLePER

Dec 30, 2017
Such games that are uploaded here are for example Summer In Springtime or TyranoBuilder games such as The Fate of Irnia, My Lovely Sara or most of Ethan's Legacy games.

There are several options that can be tried:
  • The program unpacks the game files into a temporary location(%temp% on Windows in a folder prefixed with "nw") that exists as long as the game is running. You can simply copy the files somewhere else.
  • There can be a renamed zip file containing the game. On Windows/Linux it is package.nw on Mac it is app.nw in nwjs.app/Contents.
  • On Windows and Linux the game can be in a zip file contained in the nw.exe/nw file. You can get it by a parser that recognizes zip archives. For example the one contained in the 7zip program(context menu on the file: "7-Zip > Open Archive > #" )

As a bonus, you can now run the game in browser. To do it you can either allow file access in your browser or use a local web server such as miniweb. The name of the file to run is included in the package.json as "main" (usually it is "index.html").

TyranoBuilder:
By default you won't be able to save or load the game, so you need to open "..\data\system\Config.tjs" file which is a normal text file and change "configSave" entry form "file" to something else such as "webstorage"

wrarar

Dec 19, 2017
this was really helpfull!!!
about the "NW" archives the second option work for me (i cannot find the "NW"folder in temp of the first option. though)

about the tyranobuilder archives: can you please explain step by step and without shortcuts? i dont know how to find this "..\data\system\Config.tjs"

thanks for the data.

SlLePER

Dec 30, 2017
this was really helpfull!!!
about the "NW" archives the second option work for me (i cannot find the "NW"folder in temp of the first option. though)
The folder exists only as long as the game is running and will be located in some temporary location. On Windows it should be the value of temp enviroment variable (for example press "windows key + r" type "%temp%" and click ok). The folder name will be prefixed by "nw" followed by numbers for example "nw1234_5678". You can also search for "package.json" file which will always be present.

The folder also won't be created if the game files are not packaged(they can either be in the root folder or in "package.nw" folder).

about the tyranobuilder archives: can you please explain step by step and without shortcuts? i dont know how to find this "..\data\system\Config.tjs"

thanks for the data.
The file will be located in the directory where you extracted the game to. In folder "data" there will be folder "system" which will contain the file "Config.tjs".

Reactions: Daveck and wrarar

peiteen

Oct 11, 2018
thank you
i was almost going crazy trying to figure out how to extract the images from a Tyranobuilder game

zifix

Nov 18, 2016
Hi,
some newer games don't seem to unpack their content anymore to %temp%. Instead I have a recources folder with seemingly encrypted picture files. Does anyone know how to decode them?
Regards
Zifix

SlLePER

Dec 30, 2017
Hi,
some newer games don't seem to unpack their content anymore to %temp%. Instead I have a recources folder with seemingly encrypted picture files. Does anyone know how to decode them?
Regards
Zifix
Do you have a name of the game or link to it? I can take a look and see what it is.

SlLePER

Dec 30, 2017
The game is made in VN Maker and the encryption doesn't have anything to do with the node-webkit. I casually tried to decrypt the files for a while but had no success, but it turns out someone already made a decrypter which can be found in thread.

Reactions: GuyInDogSuit

Doodadad

Oct 10, 2018
Bumping this thread a good stretch, but I have a case that falls outside of the above three scenarios. I recently bought an RPG Maker MV game ( ), and can't hook a translator due to the use of nwjs. Coming through the game files netted my neither any hidden archives, nor any archives that could be parsed out of other files (the game.exe was a renamed nw.exe, but working with that netted no success). An "nw_xxxxx" folder is created in the temp files, but going inside it reveals an empty directory.

What I suspect is happening is that the instant the temp files are created and the game is run, a secondary script runs that deletes the files immediately afterwards. This is just a guess, but if RPG Maker games load all their game files up front rather than as the game is played, I'd imagine that's feasible. And if that is the case, I have no idea how to grab the directory in the instant between it's creation and deletion.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nerus Nexus

SlLePER

Dec 30, 2017
Bumping this thread a good stretch, but I have a case that falls outside of the above three scenarios. I recently bought an RPG Maker MV game ( ), and can't hook a translator due to the use of nwjs. Coming through the game files netted my neither any hidden archives, nor any archives that could be parsed out of other files (the game.exe was a renamed nw.exe, but working with that netted no success). An "nw_xxxxx" folder is created in the temp files, but going inside it reveals an empty directory.

What I suspect is happening is that the instant the temp files are created and the game is run, a secondary script runs that deletes the files immediately afterwards. This is just a guess, but if RPG Maker games load all their game files up front rather than as the game is played, I'd imagine that's feasible. And if that is the case, I have no idea how to grab the directory in the instant between it's creation and deletion.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Even if the temporary folder is created and then instantly deleted, the files have to be in the game folder somewhere. You could try to check for any files that are suspiciously large. It could also be the case that the files are encrypted in which case it is not really nw.js (this was the case with the VN Maker). But you also could check what files are being created by the game with the ProcessMonitor and if they are there try to back them by for example the file history in Windows(Control Panel->File History) though I did not use this feature so I do not know how useful it would be.