Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I haven't tried the beta yet but from your signature i see it does a popup can i disable it?
my signuature shows a very ancient ersion, like maybe 6.x, current is 8.5 and beta is 9.0. there are 2 kinds of popups: if you are using the app (the window is focused, you dont have another program currently focused) you get a normal popup inside the window telling you that a game has been updated, or that you have unread notifications. if the window is not focused (maybe you are using the browser or another app) it will send a notificaton in the bottom right of the screen (depends on your operating system) letting you know that the interface needs your attention, but these kinds of notifications can be disabled in the settings of your operating system generally speaking. i know for a fact you can do it on windows and on most linux desktops, and im sure on mac there is some way to do it.
the notification inside the app you cannot disable (it would defeat the purpose of this program...), the notifications while unfocused are not togglable from f95checker but from your system settings
this is what it looks like:
(keepp im mind that i am on linux with kde plasma, the notification in my top right is on bottom right on windows and it looks a little different)
View attachment Record_select-area_20220625215322-00.00.00.000-00.00.58.333.mp4

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Well now that we have the right-click delete feature wouldn't it make sense to make that "Show Remove Button" permanent for people like me that want it there the whole time? Just a thought.
i was hesitant to add new settings after starting the beta builds because usually a database structure is not easy to change when it has already been created, so adding new settings would make supporting older versions complicated, but i just came up with a way to future proof and make the database backwards compatible by automatically adding missing columns, so i will make that option persistent now!

EDIT: aaand now its persistent, next build will come soon

• Red Heart
Reactions: CCrusader

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
ChickenForSupper Jarulf ArchmageFil so i feel like ive come full circle and dont care anymore... i had made it so builds get stripped of some unused files but as we have seen they are not really unused since they break the tool on your systems, and i feel like the inconvenience of troubleshooting all this shit far outweighs the 15 mb out of a 203 mb download that it would save. so im removing the build stripping code and builds will be slightly bigger but not have issues. i am very aware that 203mb for linux, 165mb for windows and 265mb for macos is a lot but i couldnt care less as long as it works, and that 15mb was such a small difference that just no im not gonna deal with that.

(sorry if this comes off rude, i really dont mean it im just mad at qt web engine for using chromium and therefore adding 80 - 140 mb to the download size)

new working build should be ready in maybe 20 minutes!

EDIT: btw also attempted something different, i made all dependencies zipped apart from ones that didnt like it on my system, i am yet to test on windows

Last edited:

Jarulf

Aug 9, 2020
I'm just happy to get a version that works without problems, a slightly larger file is fine.
Thanks, again, for doing this.

Reactions: WillyJL

harmonic

Aug 23, 2018
I was using this for a while, and then my wife opened it by accident and then closed it, which somehow saved the f95checker.json file as an empty file, deleting everything. It might be a good idea to automatically save a backup of that file when it's in a known good state, so if the file is ever corrupted on load you can fall back to a recent backup instead of just starting all over.

Also when I try to add a game now it tells me to log in again, and then just opens a blank window, maybe something else broke as well?

I think I'm gonna move on to something else though, this seems surprisingly fragile and I'm really sad I just lost my whole game list...

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I was using this for a while, and then my wife opened it by accident and then closed it, which somehow saved the f95checker.json file as an empty file, deleting everything. It might be a good idea to automatically save a backup of that file when it's in a known good state, so if the file is ever corrupted on load you can fall back to a recent backup instead of just starting all over.

Also when I try to add a game now it tells me to log in again, and then just opens a blank window, maybe something else broke as well?

I think I'm gonna move on to something else though, this seems surprisingly fragile and I'm really sad I just lost my whole game list...
im sorry you had to go though all that, and i am aware the current release is problematic and fragile, i hate it myself. i have been rewriting it from scratch over the last 3 months and it is really close to a full release, you can use the betas for now and i promise you wont regret it. the new version doesnt use a flimsy .json file but a proper industry standard database that will not just die on you (at most it will forget the changes in the last 30 seconds if the tool crashes, but it will not wipe itself for no reason). latest builds are available here just find the latest entry with a green tickmark and download the appropriate artifact for your system. you will need a github account to download the artifacts though, if you dont want to create one you can wait about a week for the full release. already maybe a dozen people are using the beta and all the issues that were pointed out so far have been fixed so it should be a smooth experience as far as i know, i myself use only the beta now.

Last edited:

noty2

Jan 6, 2020
my signuature shows a very ancient ersion, like maybe 6.x, current is 8.5 and beta is 9.0. there are 2 kinds of popups: if you are using the app (the window is focused, you dont have another program currently focused) you get a normal popup inside the window telling you that a game has been updated, or that you have unread notifications. if the window is not focused (maybe you are using the browser or another app) it will send a notificaton in the bottom right of the screen (depends on your operating system) letting you know that the interface needs your attention, but these kinds of notifications can be disabled in the settings of your operating system generally speaking. i know for a fact you can do it on windows and on most linux desktops, and im sure on mac there is some way to do it.
the notification inside the app you cannot disable (it would defeat the purpose of this program...), the notifications while unfocused are not togglable from f95checker but from your system settings
this is what it looks like:
(keepp im mind that i am on linux with kde plasma, the notification in my top right is on bottom right on windows and it looks a little different)
View attachment 1890313
Alright yea i got it love tinkering with my pc but i only take shots at linux through a vm i play too many regular games that do not work on linux and i rather not run a vm for them

got an ETA for the update?

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Alright yea i got it love tinkering with my pc but i only take shots at linux through a vm i play too many regular games that do not work on linux and i rather not run a vm for them

got an ETA for the update?
About a week

batblue

Sep 6, 2021
Hey, I just tried the latest build (270) on Mac, after not trying the new version in a while (and maybe I never logged in, originally?). When I hit Refresh, the app tries to log me in, and I get an exception. This is what shows up in the log:

Code:
Could not find QtWebEngineProcess
QObject::startTimer: Timers cannot be started from another thread
Is this maybe the same login subprocess issue referenced earlier in the thread? Let me know if I can help debug.

batblue

Sep 6, 2021
Is this maybe the same login subprocess issue referenced earlier in the thread? Let me know if I can help debug.
A little more info: the system log shows me that this is a crash when calling QtWebEngineCore.QWebEngineProfile. So maybe not the same issue. I'll see what else I can find.

CCrusader

Nov 29, 2020
WillyJL Why do I get this? I got this like 5 times today and the games that did pop up were never on that engine.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Edit: Most games have completely wrong engines

Last edited:

GAB

Salty Montrealer
Donor
May 10, 2017
WillyJL Why do I get this? I got this like 5 times today and the games that did pop up were never on that engine.
Right click on update and do full refresh (or similar wording) that fixed it for me

Oh and use latest beta build

Honestly i have stopped looking for updates just waiting for you to finish the rework
That's probly for the best. I use beta checker atm for knowing general whereabouts of game in case my fav is in the list but you can this thread (referring to the checker thread) to know when new public build is out).

Last edited:

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
i added a new type (misc) and renamed one (collection -> media, because it contains also manga, video, gif and so on). since the types are handled internally as numbers (they are called enums, you use enum members, which have names, in the code but those names represent numbers for the computer, therefore being easier to handle and compute) when i changed them up the numbers changed, so basically all types were off by 1 or 2 numbers. in the future i will add new enums by adding 1 to the max existing enum value, but since this is just a beta i felt like changing existing enums was fine for sake of code tidiness. as gab said just right click on the refresh button and do a full refresh. (you are getting them randomly right now because a quick rrefresh will not get all game information, so i made it so that at 7 days interrvals it will run a full check for each game (each game has its own 7 days timer sp they often wont line up perfectly) and when it does a full refresh it will realize that the type tag was wrong (or well in its eyes it changed))

Reactions: CCrusader

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Hey, I just tried the latest build (270) on Mac, after not trying the new version in a while (and maybe I never logged in, originally?). When I hit Refresh, the app tries to log me in, and I get an exception. This is what shows up in the log:

Code:
Could not find QtWebEngineProcess
QObject::startTimer: Timers cannot be started from another thread
thats ppeculiar, and i hae no idea what it might be... i think ill download a macos virtual machine soon so i can tinker with it without bothering you too much :D but if you find anything ofc let me know

Reactions: batblue

batblue

Sep 6, 2021
thats ppeculiar, and i hae no idea what it might be... i think ill download a macos virtual machine soon so i can tinker with it without bothering you too much :D but if you find anything ofc let me know
Sure, happy to help!

I did get a local build going, with Qt6 (and all other dependencies) installed via Homebrew and Pip. That worked fine, though it took a while for the initial login window to pop up. So maybe it has something to do with the bundled libraries? That's my best guess at the moment.

ArchmageFil

Aug 19, 2017
WillyJL tested build 270 everything works fine. There is a small issue on the game info page, but nothing major. (Wrote about it in issues on github)

Also probably not in the current release, but it would be great to see the possibility of folding under the spoilers of the game description. IMO the user is usually interested in the changelog and their own notes. A description is only needed if he forgot what the game is about.
Oh and notes. So far, a few words are fine, but if, for example, you copy the walkthrough and / or FAQ there, it becomes difficult to use this window. Maybe add a forced wrapping of the text that goes beyond the border and the ability to increase the size in height?

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes