Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

abada25

Sep 30, 2019
its already supposed to a be a fixed size so i can't do much about it, youll just have to expand it that little bit
The quick fix you can do is instead of prioritizing game names prioritize "version Installed Open" (right side) so if a game's name is too long it will turn to "..." after certain characters (maybe you can calculate how many character according to the GUI's width? Fixed number can be enough as well tho)

Reactions: WillyJL

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
The quick fix you can do is instead of prioritizing game names prioritize "version Installed Open" (right side) so if a game's name is too long it will turn to "..." after certain characters (maybe you can calculate how many character according to the GUI's width? Fixed number can be enough as well tho)
will see what i can do in a few days, am really busy today and tomorrow... huge thanks for the kind words in the review tho <3

• Red Heart
Reactions: abada25

GrammerCop

Donor
Mar 15, 2020
WillyJL I have downloaded and run the background. Switched to GUI (F95Checker). Added 1 game using the link.

But now, it won't run at all. Not sure why not. I have deleted it and re-extracted the downloaded file. 845085_F95CheckerV6.9h1.zip
Still won't run.
Nothing in eventvwr, no log files created.
Windows 10 Pro 1909
Chrome automatically updates

Also would like to know how app knows if the game is installed.

Last edited:

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
WillyJL I have downloaded and run the background. Switched to GUI (F95Checker). Added 1 game using the link.

But now, it won't run at all. Not sure why not. I have deleted it and re-extracted the downloaded file. 845085_F95CheckerV6.9h1.zip
Still won't run.
Nothing in eventvwr, no log files created.
Windows 10 Pro 1909
Chrome automatically updates

Also would like to know how app knows if the game is installed.
Can you try to rename “F95Checker.pyw” to “F95Checker.py”, run it from a cmd (using “python F95Checker.py”) and post the error log please?

Also it doesn’t... I wanted to keep stuff simple as I’m really new to coding and I wanted to make this as lightweight as possible, so how the installed checkboxes work is that you tick it when you have it installed and if a game gets updated the checkbox automatically gets unchecked. That’s about it

GrammerCop

Donor
Mar 15, 2020
Can you try to rename “F95Checker.pyw” to “F95Checker.py”, run it from a cmd (using “python F95Checker.py”) and post the error log please?
Done. There is no error message or log in the folder.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
GrammerCop in the meantime can you post here or in a conversation with me the contents of your config.ini? (C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\f95checker\) (that is removing your user and password of course, but do check for yourself that they are saved correctly in the file)

GrammerCop

Donor
Mar 15, 2020
GrammerCop in the meantime can you post here or in a conversation with me the contents of your config.ini? (C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\f95checker\) (that is removing your user and password of course, but do check for yourself that they are saved correctly in the file)
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

GrammerCop

Donor
Mar 15, 2020
That’s really strange, never seen or heard of it... I’ll make a test build later today that should state the error log
Speaking as a RL programmer, I recommend that if this is the first time you are doing a sort of a debug version you make it use a command line switch like -d so it can be reused in the future. f95Checker.pyc -d

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
I can already see the issue... somehow the config file fucked itself up... try with this and launch GUI first so that it sets up the config properly... launching background first wouldn’t be an issue but use GUI first to be sure

I will for sure add an exception popup if the config is invalid so that you get an option to reset it in case it gets corrupted or messed up

Reactions: GrammerCop

GrammerCop

Donor
Mar 15, 2020
I can already see the issue... somehow the config file fucked itself up... try with this and launch GUI first so that it sets up the config properly... launching background first wouldn’t be an issue but use GUI first to be sure
<snip>
That did the trick. Glad the issue was so easy for you to fix.
I'm going to be adding all my games. Is there a way to import game names, such as from excel xlsx or csv?

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Is there a way to import game names, such as from excel xlsx or csv?
as of right now, no... but since games already get saved in a format like "this is a game/this is another game" i could make it so that if you paste the names with slashes in between them it adds them all

Reactions: abada25

GrammerCop

Donor
Mar 15, 2020
as of right now, no... but since games already get saved in a format like "this is a game/this is another game" i could make it so that if you paste the names with slashes in between them it adds them all
That's OK. Don't worry about it. Maybe keep in mind for future enhancement

SaintYoungMan

Apr 11, 2020
Hey WillyJL, you had an awesome idea and good job on getting it done.
I checked out your code and updated the GUI version a bit to make it more readable and easier to understand.
I made it into a git project so you can check the changes I made.
I also moved some code into a separate module to reduce the amount of code inside the main file, I think you should continue in this direction if you want to keep the codebase more maintainable.
If you want I Would love to help you more with the project.

GrammerCop

Donor
Mar 15, 2020
WillyJL Seems to be working - a small bug on colors. Perhaps a couple enhancements I could recommend.

Changing color:
  • Small bug. Causes the program to end. Need to restart.
  • Another small bug, changing color breaks appearance, links / version # no longer colored.
  • Should have option to change each color of
    • Background
    • Screen / borders
    • Checked (Installed) Lines
    • Unchecked (Installed not checked) lines
    • Links
    • Or something along these lines.
    • Add option to restore to default colors.
Might want to have option to edit game name (i.e., in the event of not found)
Put Add textbox / button at top with list scroll beneath
Button to go to bottom / top of list
Links abc...z to jump to first item in list that starts with letter.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Small bug. Causes the program to end. Need to restart.
how are you starting the script? because if it's from commandline with something along the lines of "python F95Checker.pyw" then its normal for it to behave that way, its supposed to be opened by double clicking on it so that way the command looks more like "pyton X:\path\to\folder\F95Checker.pyw" and that way the program knows where it is located to open again after changing the color... this is the only way i could do it because the colors are embedded into the images for the ui elements... yeah tcl/tk is 30 years old now, its understandable for it to be a little lacking
Might want to have option to edit game name (i.e., in the event of not found)
Put Add textbox / button at top with list scroll beneath
both great ideas, will make them a reality at some point ;)
Button to go to bottom / top of list
we'll see
Links abc...z to jump to first item in list that starts with letter.
will see what i can do but am definitely interested in getting this to happen and work
Should have option to change each color of...
meh, as the colors are hard coded in the images changing them does become a real struggle... idk

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Hey WillyJL, you had an awesome idea and good job on getting it done.
I checked out your code and updated the GUI version a bit to make it more readable and easier to understand.
I made it into a git project so you can check the changes I made.
I also moved some code into a separate module to reduce the amount of code inside the main file, I think you should continue in this direction if you want to keep the codebase more maintainable.
If you want I Would love to help you more with the project.
you, sir, deserve more medals than i can possibly award you. about the collab, i'd love to but as i probably already said somewhere i am quite new to programming and never used git and never worked on a team so idk how that would work but yeah for sure :D

SaintYoungMan

Apr 11, 2020
you, sir, deserve more medals than i can possibly award you. about the collab, i'd love to but as i probably already said somewhere i am quite new to programming and never used git and never worked on a team so idk how that would work but yeah for sure :D
The easiest way would be to have the project on github so who wants to contribute can easily do it plus all the other feaetures that it offers. I would suggest a private repository where you can invite people who want to help or a public one if you want all the world to see it :).
If you never used github you should look into it, also because if you want to be a developer is a must know.

GrammerCop

Donor
Mar 15, 2020
how are you starting the script? because if it's from commandline with something along the lines of "python F95Checker.pyw" then its normal for it to behave that way, its supposed to be opened by double clicking on it so that way the command looks more like "pyton X:\path\to\folder\F95Checker.pyw" and that way the program knows where it is located to open again after changing the color... this is the only way i could do it because the colors are embedded into the images for the ui elements... yeah tcl/tk is 30 years old now, its understandable for it to be a little lacking
I double-click from Windows File Explorer. Not really an issue, but the color seems to be all or nothing. I restored the default value from a previous ini and got it working right again. Not going to change the color again. Not really worth the loss of functionality you get from using the defaults, IMO.
both great ideas, will make them a reality at some point ;)
Thanks...and I hope so, at least for moving the Add box. I have ~160 games and it would be nice because I have to go all the way to the bottom to add a new game, and can't use Page Down/Up or End...have to scroll mouse wheel to get to it. Maybe that would help...Making [Page Down] / [Page Up] / [Home] / [End] keys work
we'll see
will see what i can do but am definitely interested in getting this to happen and work
Maybe press a letter instead of links...same concept. If you can make it work...?
meh, as the colors are hard coded in the images changing them does become a real struggle... idk
It's simple enough to change hard coded colors to variables. Again, not really an issue after restoring the default.

(I hate how the quotes don't include the quotes.) Anyway, allow editing of the game name would be nice, but we can delete and add again, so not a big deal.

But moving the add box to the top and the list to it's own space beneath it I think would be really the one thing that will help the most. Everything else is a nice to have kinda thingy.

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes