Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

GrammerCop

Donor
Mar 15, 2020
WillyJL - I had a thought. (retreat to a safe distance, I know because it is dangerous for me to have those).

What about creating a label at the beginning (before all the loading - to allow you to basically reboot the the app. (first line should be the label. This way, you can reboot (restart the app) by executing at the label. I think this would work. Updating color selection, version, GUI vs BG, anything that would application to re-load / (reboot) recall the settings.

Like I said it was dangerous.

Reactions: WillyJL

abada25

Sep 30, 2019
you, sir, deserve more medals than i can possibly award you. about the collab, i'd love to but as i probably already said somewhere i am quite new to programming and never used git and never worked on a team so idk how that would work but yeah for sure :D

• Haha

SmurfyBlue

Ex Patch Maker
Aug 6, 2016
Found this tool earlier and I'm loving it so far!
Had a couple hiccups however.

1: It can't find 'Big Bad Principal' (which can be found here: https://f95zone.to/threads/big-bad-principal-2-0b-unstable-givu.47185/) And I don't know why.

2: Because of how you're handling the saving of the game names (Saw on page 1 it used to be with a ',' and now with a '/') it doesn't know how to handle 'Sistersitting / Housesitting' (which can be found here: https://f95zone.to/threads/sistersitting-housesitting-v0-7-1-i107760.61206/). It worked the first time I added it to my games list, but on starting the tool a second time it suddenly split it into two games 'Sistersitting ' and ' Housesitting'. I don't have any real experience programming in Python, but from my web development experience I would say a fix for this is saving the game names as Strings, that way it can ignore any '/' or ',' that is IN any of the strings.

3: Eventhough Opera is my default browser, the program doesn't seem to recognize it and it's not selectable. Temporarily using Chrome instead, but really hope that it'll be able to see Opera instead.

Other than that, big fan!

Last edited:

GrammerCop

Donor
Mar 15, 2020
The following games show the developer names and not the version numbers:
  • Dreams of Desire: The Lost Memories
  • Life is Good
  • Meralin and Princess Kinara
  • Milfy City Xmas 2018 Episode
  • My Girlfriend's Amnesia
  • Sister, Sister, Sister

Fasder

Open bob
Game Developer
Dec 5, 2017
raf about Life... yeah... not much i can do here... you can see for yourself that if you make a quicksearch for Life in the games forum the actual game doesn't come up... guess theres too many other games with life in the title... but yeah i cant do anything about it, as the only possible way would be to completely change how the script works... sorry ;-;

EDIT: tell ya what... i could make an exception just for this game that instead of searching for "Life" it searches for "Fasder" as that way Life comes up
The next update the name of the game will change to "Making a Mark" since it's more searchable.
So, tell your friends and family. :giggle:

Probably going to be something like "Making a Mark aka Life" in the title though, but Idk if there's a policy on that.

GrammerCop

Donor
Mar 15, 2020
WillyJL
  • Life is Good
  • Sister, Sister, Sister
Besides the above, I have a couple more ideas for you.
  • After refresh, if there are any updates, pop up a message box saying there are x new updates available. Since I play so many games, this would be a very helpful addition.
  • The checker can't find this tool.

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Sorry for being inactive these past few days, its probably gonna stay like that for another week or so, kinda busy with school stuff

GrammerCop SmurfyBlue when i have time i will look into those games not being found
2: Because of how you're handling the saving of the game names (Saw on page 1 it used to be with a ',' and now with a '/') it doesn't know how to handle 'Sistersitting / Housesitting' (which can be found here: https://f95zone.to/threads/sistersitting-housesitting-v0-7-1-i107760.61206/). It worked the first time I added it to my games list, but on starting the tool a second time it suddenly split it into two games 'Sistersitting ' and ' Housesitting'. I don't have any real experience programming in Python, but from my web development experience I would say a fix for this is saving the game names as Strings, that way it can ignore any '/' or ',' that is IN any of the strings.
will look into a better solution
3: Eventhough Opera is my default browser, the program doesn't seem to recognize it and it's not selectable. Temporarily using Chrome instead, but really hope that it'll be able to see Opera instead.
i have no idea what might be causing this... could you maybe try reinstalling opera? (that *shouldnt* reset your configuration but dont quote me on that)
After refresh, if there are any updates, pop up a message box saying there are x new updates available. Since I play so many games, this would be a very helpful addition.
for sure
The checker can't find this tool.
thats normal, because the tool checks the games forum to avoid finding mods instead of the actual games, while this thread is in the tools forum, but theres no need to check anyway as this tool has a self update checker and auto updater :D

Reactions: SmurfyBlue

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
  • Life is Good
  • Sister, Sister, Sister
cant do anything about those, its because OP decided to not include the version number in the title when it should be there... all you can do is ask the op to include it in the title or put up with it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

also for milfy city christmas episode i personally doubt that will ever get updates... milfy city itself doesnt have much hope imo and the christmas episode was standalone so even less likely to get updated... if icstor made a new chirstmas episode it would probably be another standalone but hey what do i know xD

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Reactions: SmurfyBlue

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
WillyJL - Found a problem with the GUI loading a game. it can't find the game:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
the problem is that there is no space between the name and the first "["... fix is easy, will be in the next update

ps: btw sorry for pinging you so much

EDIT: also for what you said about the label: labels and goto or jump calls are not supported in python, as its a very structured language, but i have in mind another way to do just about the same (and probably also merge background and gui into the same file ;) )

GrammerCop

Donor
Mar 15, 2020
theres no need to check anyway as this tool has a self update checker and auto updater :D
That's what I was wondering about...good to know.
will look into a better solution
Perhaps save the game id and load the game with the save id only, then work on the completed URL after load?
cant do anything about those, its because OP decided to not include the version number in the title when it should be there... all you can do is ask the op to include it in the title or put up with it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
How will checker tell an update is ready for those games?
also for milfy city christmas episode i personally doubt that will ever get updates
Same here. Included only because there was issue (minor for me)
the problem is that there is no space between the name and the first "["... fix is easy, will be in the next update
Cool.
ps: btw sorry for pinging you so much
Don't worry about it. I'd rather have an answer to a question than to fall into a black hole.
EDIT: also for what you said about the label: labels and goto or jump calls are not supported in python, as its a very structured language, but i have in mind another way to do just about the same (and probably also merge background and gui into the same file ;) )
Cool.

SmurfyBlue

Ex Patch Maker
Aug 6, 2016
not a problem with the tool, but a problem with either f95's search or the thread title containing a strange space character... you can see for yourself that using the quick search (https://f95zone.to/forums/games.2/) it cant find it after you start typing principal
Yeah, weird. Looks like if I do 2 spaces before the P it DOES find it. I'll test to see if that works with the tool.
EDIT/UPDATE: Adding a second space to the name IN the tool doesn't help.

I do have a follow up question however.
I manually added the thread url to my config.ini, thinking that the tool would use that instead of trying to search for it again. But it doesn't, which kinda surprised me actually. If it KNOWS the link (i.e. the link is in the config.ini) shouldn't the tool try utilising that instead of trying to search and failing?
Maybe something to look into for a future update?

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
How will checker tell an update is ready for those games?
sadly it wont at all... if you get the op to add the version number in the title like every other game on this website then it will start working
Looks like if I do 2 spaces before the P it DOES find it.
Adding a second space to the name IN the tool doesn't help.
might make an exception for it to search with 2 spaces but check with 1 space so that it finds it in the next update
UPDATE: just tried this and it works wonderfully
I manually added the thread url to my config.ini, thinking that the tool would use that instead of trying to search for it again. But it doesn't, which kinda surprised me actually. If it KNOWS the link (i.e. the link is in the config.ini) shouldn't the tool try utilising that instead of trying to search and failing?
Maybe something to look into for a future update?
to keep the refresh time down this tool makes a quick search request, because that uses significantly less data... if checking had to load up the full game webpage it would take A LOT longer to refresh, making it unreasonably slow... so what happens is that when you put a link in the add field it loads up that link just once to get the name of the game so that when refreshing it can use that... if only the quicksearch worked with thread ids the tool would be much more reliable... also the link section for saved games in the config is just to make the open buttons work, just wanted to clear that up

SmurfyBlue

Ex Patch Maker
Aug 6, 2016
might make an exception for it to search with 2 spaces but check with 1 space so that it finds it in the next update
UPDATE: just tried this and it works wonderfully
Nice!

to keep the refresh time down this tool makes a quick search request, because that uses significantly less data... if checking had to load up the full game webpage it would take A LOT longer to refresh, making it unreasonably slow... so what happens is that when you put a link in the add field it loads up that link just once to get the name of the game so that when refreshing it can use that... if only the quicksearch worked with thread ids the tool would be much more reliable... also the link section for saved games in the config is just to make the open buttons work, just wanted to clear that up
Ah, that makes sense.

SmurfyBlue

Ex Patch Maker
Aug 6, 2016
Got another little "problem child" for you Willy!

The game "Dessert Bakery" ALWAYS gets set as having a new version. Even when it doesn't. Currently we have version v9.2 and I checked it as installed, but if I refresh it just gets marked as being new again. Whether it is by manually clicking refresh or during the refresh on start up.

Link to the game

SmurfyBlue

Ex Patch Maker
Aug 6, 2016
Something something Opera.
i have no idea what might be causing this... could you maybe try reinstalling opera? (that *shouldnt* reset your configuration but dont quote me on that)
I figured it out. Had to puzzle a little with Python as I've never used it before but.
You currently use the following to check:
Python:
try:
    opera_path = winreg.QueryValue(HKEY_CURRENT_USER, f'{StartMenuInternet}OperaStable{open_command}')
    opera = True
except FileNotFoundError:
    pass
Which I edited into the following:
Python:
try:
    opera_path = winreg.QueryValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, f'{StartMenuInternet}OperaStable{open_command}')
    opera = True
except FileNotFoundError:
    pass
For some reason you were testing in HKEY_CURRENT_USER instead of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE which is the one you check for all other browsers other than Opera and OperaGX.
I understand it's a little confusing as Opera saves data in BOTH locations. But the one in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE is the one that you need to check for.

Does beg the question why you were using current_user instead of local_machine in the first place, but I'm assuming you had a good reason for it.

xaxa9551

Jun 9, 2019
This thing is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G !
WillyJL , thank you!

Also there is few things i would love to see implemented so i'll just throw them here and hope for the best.
  1. Slightly different shade of gray on every odd row for better readability OR border for us people with reading problems (especially when you have "checker" on fullscreen and there is 50% screen space in between Game title and version)
  2. { [ ] Finished + version installed on check } next to version. I would love to have a way to track which games i've finished and on what version so i would know if it's worth updating (sorry that i don't care about 0.0.0a->0.0.0b update with 0-5 min. of content when i have to re-download 2,5gigs). Than when you get new version, and check [ ] Installed, it would uncheck Finished but still show last finished version. -- Also, easier way would be to just add [ ] Finished that i can check/uncheck finished games.

Other than that, I can just thank and everybody else who helped for making this thing.

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 21 Votes