Tool Others F95Checker [WillyJL]

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
F95Checker.png

Tired of checking dozens of threads for game updates?
May I introduce you to F95Checker, an update checker and library tool that keeps you up to speed with your favorite games.

Features:
  • Blazing fast™ and reliable
  • Very easy to setup and use
  • Cross platform (windows, linux, macos)
  • Beautiful and customizable interface
  • Compact list, comfy grid and kanban columns view modes
  • 2FA accounts supported
  • Alert and inbox checker
  • Track what versions you installed and played
  • Launch games straight from the tool
  • Custom labels, organize your library how you want to
  • Archive games to temporarily mute updates
  • Supported game details:
    • Name, Version, Developer
    • Type (game engine / type of thread)
    • Status (completed / on hold / abandoned)
    • Last update, last played and added on dates
    • Description / overview and changelog
    • Header images (including gifs)
    • Download links and RPDL.net support
    • Forum tags and personal labels
    • Forum score (value out of 5) and personal rating (5 stars)
    • Personal notes (textbox you can use however you want)
  • Sorting and filtering by most of above details, with multisort and multifilter support
  • Also supports media (animations, collections...) and normal threads
  • Custom games to manually add games from other platforms
  • Auto updating (the tool, NOT the games)
  • Background mode (periodically refresh in background and receive desktop notifications)
  • Many ways to add games, including a companion web browser extension

Download:

Compatibility:
Built with Python 3.10+ for Windows, Linux and MacOS.
Binaries are available for all 3 platforms, requiring no setup at all. If instead you want to run from source note that Python 3.11+ is required and you'll need to install the requirements with pip.

Installation:
  • Windows: Extract and run F95Checker.exe
  • Linux: Extract and run F95Checker
  • MacOS: Extract, right click F95Checker.app, select "Open" in the menu and click "Open" in the next popup *
  • Source: Make sure you have Python 3.11+, install requirements with pip3 install -U -r requirements.txt and run with python3 main.py (this file is marked executable and has a shebang, you might be able to just double click it!)
* If you get a message saying that the application is damaged and should be moved to the trash you need to: close the popup, open a terminal, navigate to the location of the F95Checker.app, type in xattr -d com.apple.quarantine F95Checker.app and press enter; after this the method above to open the app should work fine.

Browser extension:
The F95Checker browser addon allows you to easily add games to you desktop F95Checker library while browsing the forum in 3 ways:
  • Clicking the extension icon while viewing a thread
  • Right clicking a link to a thread
  • Right clicking anywhere on the background of a thread page
The extension is available for both major browser families (for example Brave counts as Chrome, LibreWolf counts as Firefox):
  • Chrome: Open chrome://extensions/ in browser, enable "Developer mode", reload the page and drag extension/chrome.zip (from the tool folder) into the page
  • Firefox: Install from
Please note that this extension is solely to aid the usage of the desktop tool, you still need the desktop application installed and running.

FAQ:
  • Crashes on start with GLError 'invalid operation'?

Update Windows, update GPU drivers, and if you have them update MSI AfterBurner and RTSS or just disable / remove them.

• How do I use this tool? and How do the versions and checkboxes work?

After you have installed it using the instructions above, the day-to-day usage is quite simple. You need to add the games you want to track (more on this below) and every once in a while you hit the big "Refresh!" button to check for updates of your games. Each game has 2 main checkboxes, the "Installed / Downloaded" box and the "Played / Finished" box; this should be quite intuitive: if you have a game installed / downloaded on your system, mark it as installed, and once you have finished playing the content for that version mark it as played / finished. When a game receives an update you will get a popup about it at the end of the refresh. If the name changes (the game has been renamed by the developer) or its status changed (e.g. from normal to abandoned) you will get a popup about it. If a version number change is detected, however, along with the update popup you will have a few other changes: the played checkbox will be deselected (a new version usually means more content is available) and (if you had marked it as installed) the installed checkbox will be half selected. This is because the tool remembers what version you had marked as installed, so if a new version is available it will show you that you still have it installed, just not on the latest version. There will also be an "Update Available" marker next to the game's name. The version number text will also reflect this, showing both the installed version and the latest version with the appropriate icons. In this state you can then click the installed checkbox to mark the latest version as installed.

• How do I add games to the tool?

There are quite a few ways:

- Open the thread in a browser, copy the URL, paste it in the tool's bottom textbox and click "Add!"
    - Type a name in the bottombar, press enter and select from the options (this uses F95Zone's quicksearch)
    - Using the browser extension (more info above)
    - Using the "Manage > Import" section in the settings sidebar:
    - - Thread links to paste multiple links at once
    - - F95 bookmarks and watched threads to add the pages you saved on your F95Zone account
    - - Browser bookmarks to import the bookmarks you saved in your browser
    - - URL shortcut file for Windows web shortcut files
    - - (For the last 2 you can drag the files into the tool window)

After adding the games make sure to refresh atleast once to fetch all the game information!

• Can you make it download game updates? and Can you make it detect my game folders?

The main reason I decided to make this tool is because all the other alternatives were, in my opinion, too complicated to setup and did way more than what I wanted / needed. Most of this overhead I believe comes from trying to manage your game folders and files on disk, which introduces SO much complexity and room for error. That is what brought me to making my own program, which will NEVER download updates, manage your folders and so on. F95Checker is not a tool that manages your games, it is a tool that helps you manage your games yourself.

• Where is my data stored?

F95Checker stores all it's data at:
    - %APPDATA%\f95checker\ on Windows
    (usually C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\f95checker\)
    - ~/.config/f95checker/ on Linux
    (usually /home/username/.config/f95checker/)
    - ~/Library/Application Support/f95checker/ on MacOS
    (usually /Users/username/Library/Application Support/f95checker/)
    in a file named db.sqlite3, while images are saved in the images folder as thread-id.ext. The imgui.ini file stores some interface preferences, like window size and position, enabled columns and so on. Files named f95checker.json and config.ini are remainders from previous versions (pre v9.0 and pre v7.0 respectively). When opening v9.0+ it will attempt to migrate these old configs to the new database system, once that is done these old files will be ignored.

• How do I customize the interface, the columns and the sorting?

Everything to do with columns and sorting can only be changed from list view but also applies to grid and kanban view. Each column has a header bar at the top, you can use those to customize the interface. You can drag the headers around to reorder the columns, you can drag the edge of some select columns to change their width (only works if other variable size columns are enabled). Left clicking on a header will sort the list by that column, holding shift while clicking a header will add a secondary sort (multisort). Right clicking on any header will allow you to enable or disable some columns and also gives you access to manual sort. When manual sort is enabled you can drag games (in list and grid mode, not in kanban view) to reorder them. Manual sort remembers the order if you disable and enable it again, but you will not be able to reorder the games if you have any filters enabled.

• How can I try new features early?

When I implement new features or work on fixing bugs I submit directly to the , so running directly from the source code there could prove unstable at times, and also requires a development environment with an updated Python install and all the requirements up to date. To make testing new versions easier, I sometimes issue beta builds. This usually happens when I make some significant change, or an important bugfix, and want to have some binaries that everyone can try easily and give me feedback. You can see the beta builds in the ; here you should look for entries with a green tick or a red cross icon. When you open one, scroll down to the "Artifacts" section, look for your platform and click on it to download. Keep in mind you will need to be logged into GitHub to download. If the entry had a red icon, that means that the build has failed for some platforms, but yours might be fine so check anyway.

About the speed™:
F95Zone does not yet have a proper API serving the information needed by this tool, so the only way to gather them is by requesting the full game threads like a normal browser would. However this is not practical because it consumes a lot of network and computing resources, takes way too long and puts unnecessary stress on the forum servers. This tool makes a compromise: it makes small chunked requests to a dedicated API to check for new version numbers, and when an update is found it then fetches the full thread and scans it for all the game details. This is what allows F95Checker to quickly check thousands of games in a matter of seconds. However this will not detect many other changes, like status and description, so the tool will run periodic full rechecks once a week. When a full recheck happens you will see the status text in the bottom right corner saying "Running x full rechecks".

Progress and plans tracker:
Upcoming features and fixes are tracked on the .
You can pitch your feature requests and bug reports either in the or on the F95Zone thread.

Milestones:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Old versions:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Disclaimer:
Due to the lack of a proper F95Zone API, this tool needs to grab the threads just like a browser would, and this entails requiring an account to read spoiler content. I know you might be skeptical about inserting your account credentials into some random dude's program, and I totally agree with you if you are, but you can read through the code and you will see that this doesn't do anything harmful. If you still aren't sure you can create a second account just for this program.

Contributing:
Please do! I poured my heart and soul into this tool and hearing suggestions or getting help with the code really helps!

You can help out in many ways, from simply suggesting features or reporting bugs (you can do those in the or on the F95Zone thread), to adding to the codebase (through or by posting patches in the F95Zone thread).

Developer note:
This software is licensed under the 3rd revision of the GNU General Public License (GPLv3) and is provided to you for free. Furthermore, due to its license, it is also free as in freedom: you are free to use, study, modify and share this software in whatever way you wish as long as you keep the same license.

However, F95Checker is actively developed by one person only, WillyJL, and not with the aim of profit but out of personal interest and benefit for the whole F95Zone community. Donations are although greatly appreciated and aid the development of this software. You can find donation links .

If you find bugs or have some feedback, don't be afraid to let me know either on GitHub (using issues or pull requests) or on F95Zone (in the thread comments or in direct messages).

Please note that this software is not ( yet ;) ) officially affiliated with the F95Zone platform.

Cool people:
Supporters:
FaceCrap - ascsd - Jarulf - rozzic - warez_gamez - DarkVermilion - And 1 anon

Contributors:
  • : Optimized build workflows and other PRs
  • batblue: MacOS suppport and feedback guy
  • unroot: Linux support and feedback guy
  • ploper26: Suggested HEAD requests for refreshing
  • ascsd: Helped with brainstorming on some issues and gave some tips
  • blackop: Helped fix some login window issues on Linux
Community:
abada25 - AtotehZ - bitogno - d_pedestrian - DarK x Duke - GrammerCop - MillenniumEarl - SmurfyBlue - yohudood - And others that I might be forgetting

Last edited:

yohudood

May 6, 2017
\537687_F95ZoneGameUpdateChecker>pip3 install selenium
'pip3' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

\537687_F95ZoneGameUpdateChecker>pip install selenium
'pip' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\xxxx\Downloads\537687_F95ZoneGameUpdateChecker>F95ZoneGameUpdateChecker.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\yoric\Downloads\537687_F95ZoneGameUpdateChecker\F95ZoneGameUpdateChecker.py", line 2, in <module>
from selenium import webdriver
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'selenium'

Reactions: Titanity

yohudood

May 6, 2017
  • Open a terminal (Windows: Win+R > cmd > ENTER) (Google this if unsure).
  • Write this command: pip3 install selenium and press ENTER.
  • If you get an error saying something about the command not being recognized, try pip install selenium and press ENTER.
you need to run the command in the install folder C:\Users\yoric\AppData\Local\Python\Python38\Scripts
this works for me

In addition, you can try your maximum search time if he can't find a game (The Headmaster) he keeps checking
doesn't work if there are more titles with the same name (mods,cheats)

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
Hi, do you use chromedriver because you're more familiar with it or because other libraries (cURL, requests) fail to browse F95? (just asking, I never tried to use them on this site)
Does your tool actually visit the game thread? Why not extracting the version number included in the thread title? I mean, the quick search already returns a string like "GAME [VERSION] [AUTHOR]" (my apologies if I read the code wrong).

Reactions: WillyJL

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
you need to run the command in the install folder C:\Users\yoric\AppData\Local\Python\Python38\Scripts
this works for me
true, i forgot to say that when you are installing python you should check "Add Python to PATH" so that you can run pip3 and pip from anywhere

doesn't work if there are more titles with the same name (mods,cheats)
partially true: for how i set it up it searches in the games section, so no mods should show up, but if there are two similar games (i.e. milfy city and milfy city christmas episode) it will pick the first result, so that it should be the most relevant one

In addition, you can try your maximum search time if he can't find a game (The Headmaster) he keeps checking
true, it does the same for me, but i tried running it showing the browser gui and its something to do with the spoilers on the page, probably there are too many but im gonna fix it soon because i should be able to make it work without opening the spoilers

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Hi, do you use chromedriver because you're more familiar with it or because other libraries (cURL, requests) fail to browse F95? (just asking, I never tried to use them on this site)
I have actually almost just started with Python and don't have much experience with it. Also I don't have much experience with any coding language (only learnt some basics of C++ at school and learnt basics of Python and how to use selenium on my own) but I might look into some of the other possibilities. It's just that emulating a browser and writing code to automate it sounds easier at first so I started with that

Does your tool actually visit the game thread? Why not extracting the version number included in the thread title? I mean, the quick search already returns a string like "GAME [VERSION] [AUTHOR]" (my apologies if I read the code wrong).
You did read the code right, the fact is that originally i was just going to make it a basic thing that saved the text and checks if it was edited in any way... then i thought that I should release it as I don't think I ever saw something like this on here (though I didn't really search that much) and tried to make it a little more specific with finding the version number instead of just comparing the posts... at that point opening the spoilers is also pretty useless. Ima rethink the checking part and post an update.

Reactions: scrumbles

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
there, added how long it took for the script to finish and file output to "UpdatedGames.txt"

• Love
Reactions: yohudood

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
made via task scheduler a log on task for it:love::love:
nice, that was actually my original intention with this project! i think i can make it completely background, so that you just get the file and not the console window

• Hey there

yohudood

May 6, 2017
nice, that was actually my original intention with this project! i think i can make it completely background, so that you just get the file and not the console window
That would be great
can you add the version number to the name of the thread

Last edited:

yohudood

May 6, 2017
it stopt working.
DevTools listening on ws://127.0.0.1:51531/devtools/browser/38240029-2a13-441e-9b98-41adfe4e9483
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\yoric\OneDrive\F95ZoneGameUpdateChecker\F95ZoneGameUpdateChecker.py", line 77, in <module>
driver = webdriver.Chrome('Data/chromedriver.exe', options=co)
File "C:\test\Python\Python38\lib\site-packages\selenium\webdriver\chrome\webdriver.py", line 76, in __init__
RemoteWebDriver.__init__(
File "C:\test\Python\Python38\lib\site-packages\selenium\webdriver\remote\webdriver.py", line 157, in __init__
self.start_session(capabilities, browser_profile)
File "C:\test\Python\Python38\lib\site-packages\selenium\webdriver\remote\webdriver.py", line 252, in start_session
response = self.execute(Command.NEW_SESSION, parameters)
File "C:\test\Python\Python38\lib\site-packages\selenium\webdriver\remote\webdriver.py", line 321, in execute
self.error_handler.check_response(response)
File "C:\test\Python\Python38\lib\site-packages\selenium\webdriver\remote\errorhandler.py", line 242, in check_response
raise exception_class(message, screen, stacktrace)
selenium.common.exceptions.SessionNotCreatedException: Message: session not created: This version of ChromeDriver only supports Chrome version 78

edit
updatet the chromedriver and it works

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Updated to v2.0 with option to open a game's web page if it was updated!

WillyJL

Respected User
Mar 7, 2019
Big update! Generally a lot more reliable and also added changelog checking

5.00 star(s) 21 Votes