3.90 star(s) 10 Votes

MrChow96

Dec 13, 2020
So the newest build adds two things: "phone numbers" of faeries that can be shared and some "special faeries" - Shantae, Glaceon, etc. The numbers are locked behind Patreon DMs, so I got curious and wondered if these can be ripped straight from the ActionScript.

The things I discovered are rather dreadful and damning: not only the author has made the phone functionality server-side - the JSON required for specific fairy to appear in your game is formed by his website - but also implemented user bans. How? Because a "real" username and e-mail tied to Patreon are now required for adding new faeries via "phone number".

What makes matters worse, banned user hashes (unique to your save, not the username/e-mail) are forbidden to use phone book functionality!! Edit: Scratch that, he's banning you from the entire game now. Cute.

For a simple flash game with cute faeries, this surely takes the cake in control freak department.

If I was one of his supporters, I'd raise a major stink about this.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020
So the newest build adds two things: "phone numbers" of faeries that can be shared and some "special faeries" - Shantae, Glaceon, etc. The numbers are locked behind Patreon DMs, so I got curious and wondered if these can be ripped straight from the ActionScript.

The things I discovered are rather dreadful and damning: not only the author has made the phone functionality server-side - the JSON required for specific fairy to appear in your game is formed by his website - but also implemented user bans. How? Because a "real" username and e-mail tied to Patreon are now required for adding new faeries via "phone number".

What makes matters worse, banned user hashes (unique to your save, not the username/e-mail) are forbidden to use phone book functionality!!

For a simple flash game with cute faeries, this surely takes the cake in control freak department.

Holy fuck. There's Copyright control and then there's this kinda thing. Our boi really didn't want anyone sharing those special Fairies around.

BeeStrongBad

Feb 4, 2021
I feel compelled to respond to this...

The things I discovered are rather dreadful and damning: not only the author has made the phone functionality server-side - the JSON required for specific fairy to appear in your game is formed by his website
This is the Online update, fairies are uploaded and downloaded online through my server that I am paying to host. I'm not sure why this is dreadful and damning. If all the fairy meta data was stored locally, it wouldn't be online sharing. I upload fairies through my own game to my server the same way other players do.

This is exactly why, I didn't want the fun ruined in under 24 hours from release. It was leaked almost right away. as3 is like an open plate for anyone who wants to hunt around in the code.

but also implemented user bans. How? Because a "real" username and e-mail tied to Patreon are now required for adding new faeries via "phone number".
This component of the game is an online service, would you expect to pirate any game for free and then play the online component? The user ban functionality is totally manually controlled by me and would only be used in special cases, where people are uploading racist, hateful or hacked fairy bios.

What makes matters worse, banned user hashes (unique to your save, not the username/e-mail) are forbidden to use phone book functionality!!
EDIT: This doesn't exist anymore, no one is getting banned / locked.

I just wanted to keep the swiping portion of my game, and the competition, fair and fun for players who are doing the right thing. If you can get a copy of the game for free, i've always said thats okay. But I don't understand why you'd think the online component of my game would just be open slather.

Last edited:

MrChow96

Dec 13, 2020

This is the Online update, fairies are uploaded and downloaded online through my server that I am paying to host. I'm not sure why this is dreadful and damning. If all the fairy meta data was stored locally, it wouldn't be online sharing. I upload fairies through my own game to my server the same way other players do.

This is exactly why, I didn't want the fun ruined in under 24 hours from release. It was leaked almost right away. as3 is like an open plate for anyone who wants to hunt around in the code.

This is an online service, would you expect to download any game for free and play the online component? The user ban functionality is totally manually controlled by me and would only be used in special cases, where people are uploading racist, hateful or hacked fairy bios, using obviously fake emails etc.

There are two types of ban, one is a soft lock that can be fixed by contacting me, the other is for egregious use of my software. Both would not happen if you didn't try to use a bogus email in the online component? Anyone who's ever supported me, the email will work. If you have ever supported me in the past, present. Even if you only ever supported me once. the email will work. It's not active subscription to use.

I just wanted to keep the swiping portion of my game, and the competition, fair and fun for players who are doing the right thing. If you can get a copy of the game for free, i've always said thats okay. But I don't understand why you'd think the online component of my game would just be open slather.
So you admit you are indeed collecting Patreon-related user data (bannable offense by Patreon, btw) and turned stupid character maker profile hashes online-only that have exactly zero reason to be online-only (don't tell me a couple of sliders require 60 KiB, that's simply not true).

There's no justification for your actions, no matter how much you feel otherwise. I'd stay away from your mousetrap like a plague, even if it was free.

Last edited:

BeeStrongBad

Feb 4, 2021
The hash is just used to identify a fairy, the actual data that makes up a fairy is 50kb+ long, includes a jpeg and could not just be shared with a hash or number. The fairy data is is uploaded to the site and works as a cloud save also.

Users can browse and get fairies they like from my website:

You are very welcome to not play my game if you think i'm doing something wrong. I just wanted to make the game fun for people doing the right thing, and I really liked the idea of sharing fairies. I don't really understand the huge amount of rage I can sense here.

EDIT: Confirmed that this does not go against Patreon ToS.

Last edited:

OneSpoopyBoi

Jul 17, 2020

This is an online service, would you expect to download any game for free and play the online component? The user ban functionality is totally manually controlled by me and would only be used in special cases, where people are uploading racist, hateful or hacked fairy bios, using obviously fake emails etc.

There are two types of ban, one is a soft lock that can be fixed by contacting me, the other is for egregious use of my software. Both would not happen if you didn't try to use a bogus email in the online component?

I just wanted to keep the swiping portion of my game, and the competition, fair and fun for players who are doing the right thing. If you can get a copy of the game for free, i've always said thats okay. But I don't understand why you'd think the online component of my game would just be free open slather.
I don't mean to come off as an asshole, but this whole system seems so needlessly complicated compared to just letting us freely customize the fairy.
Imagine, if you will, that you were dead set on getting a fairy with very specific traits, say; light skin, short blonde hair, long ears, green heart eyes, butterfly wings, and voice B. Would you prefer to do?
Spend potentially hours at what is basically a slot machine, rerolling over and over again with no guarantee of ever getting the desired combination.
Spend time searching through what other players have uploaded to your server, still with no guarantee of getting the right combination.
Or spend at most a few minutes fiddling with a customization panel to get exactly what you wanted.
While I certainly can't speak for everyone, I'm certain that most people, pirate and patron alike, would prefer the 3rd option.
And if you are dead set on this swiping mechanic, then at least have a customization panel accessible through a cheat code or something.

BeeStrongBad

Feb 4, 2021
I don't mean to come off as an asshole, but this whole system seems so needlessly complicated compared to just letting us freely customize the fairy.
Imagine, if you will, that you were dead set on getting a fairy with very specific traits, say; light skin, short blonde hair, long ears, green heart eyes, butterfly wings, and voice B. Would you prefer to do?
Spend potentially hours at what is basically a slot machine, rerolling over and over again with no guarantee of ever getting the desired combination.
Spend time searching through what other players have uploaded to your server, still with no guarantee of getting the right combination.
Or spend at most a few minutes fiddling with a customization panel to get exactly what you wanted.
While I certainly can't speak for everyone, I'm certain that most people, pirate and patron alike, would prefer the 3rd option.
The functionality is brand new, I will do a poll in a few days / a week, if people would prefer the total customization, i'll change it. But I really just wanted to try it out. Once a full customization mode is out, i think the whole collecting and sharing, having multiples would not make sense anymore. But I could be wrong.

Edit: perhaps a mode that when enabled lets you edit everything, but then doesn't allow that fairy to be uploaded?

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: Fantasydude4000

blackwood4444

Nov 15, 2020
The functionality is brand new, I will do a poll in a few days / a week, if people would prefer the total customization, i'll change it. But I really just wanted to try it out. Once a full customization mode is out, i think the whole collecting and sharing, having multiples would not make sense anymore. But I could be wrong.

Edit: perhaps a mode that when enabled lets you edit everything, but then doesn't allow that fairy to be uploaded?
Personally, I disagree that full customization should be implemented. It ruins the game conceptually and makes it more generic IMO. I like the randomization because it is reasonably successful at simulating a dating app where candidates aren't generated by you, but exist somewhere else and may or may not be to your taste. It's a bit more rewarding too when you find a fairy that is the right combo that I think would be largely missing if the player gets everything they want all at once.

For the love of God though, please have some way to save your settings. Vibration is annoying and as far as I know, you have to change the settings again every time you close.

Jeandidier

Mar 22, 2020

There are two types of ban, one is a soft lock that can be fixed by contacting me, the other is for egregious use of my software. Both would not happen if you didn't try to use a bogus email in the online component? Anyone who's ever supported me, the email will work. If you have ever supported me in the past, present. Even if you only ever supported me once. the email will work. It's not active subscription to use.

Just do whatever you want king, that's your game after all. (sorry for my broken english)

OneSpoopyBoi

Jul 17, 2020

Having customized fairies unable to be shared seems like a reasonable compromise. You keep the swiping and sharing, along with the people who enjoy it, while those who don't aren't left in the dust either.

3.90 star(s) 10 Votes