Fake names (movies/people/etc) instead of real names?

Tor7

Jun 10, 2021
I'm pretty new to these games and I recently started playing the game Melody. I've noticed in it and the other games that I've played that alternate names are used in place of real famous people, bands, movies, even countries. For example, Tumbling Dice is used instead of Rolling Stones & Rick Dagger instead of Mick Jagger. Is there a reason for this? None of the games have made these items a prominent part of the game, they are merely as filler in discussions.

I'm just curious why you can't use the real names for these kinds of details. Especially if you aren't using them in any kind of negative way.

Thanks.

CocoVC

Aug 10, 2018
Probably to cover their own ass from the copyright/trademark police. Although most cases would fall under Fair Use principle, I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

Deleted member 1684328

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2019
I think it's both to protect yourself against copyright issues, and to make the player laugh a little bit. A lot of developers have their game on Patreon and you can get banned if people report you for using copyrighted names.

Reactions: Tor7

Tor7

Jun 10, 2021
That's not how copyright works.
You're correct. I saw a video recently that Manuel Noriega sued Call of Duty over using his likeness and full on name and it was thrown out by a judge. for reference.

Hadley

Sep 18, 2017
Its mostly to add some comedy-value. You aren't getting sued because you use Coca Cola in your Game or something.

Agent HK47

Mar 3, 2018
As already mentioned, mostly it's done to protect one self from copyright. It may or may not actually be illegal to use a brand/name in your game, but why take the risk? At least that's how I feel a lot of developers are thinking. Also, it gives the developer a chance to invent some pretty hillarious names in some cases. "Mortal Cumbutt" comes to mind :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: Tor7

Oct 26, 2017

Both potential legal issues and comedy value, really. Who wouldn't laugh at Saiko, Manco, CoDoMo...
I'm always reminded of this whenever this topic comes up somewhere.
View attachment 1280946
Oh damn, the localization gone wrong ones, lol.

Apr 26, 2018
They have to change the names to avoid copyright issues. Like for example, in Japan, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure manga and anime characters use a lot of famous band names from the West. To avoid potential lawsuits, in the US, several names were changed.
Examples of character names:
Spice Girl changed to Spicy Lady
Beach Boy to Fisher Man
Baby Face to Baby Head
Sticky Fingers to Zipper Man
Notorious B.I.G to Notorious Chase
Aerosmith to Lil Bomber
Limp Bizkit to Flacid Pancake

Oct 26, 2017
No, they swapped the names on purpose in addition to changing the name because that's how afraid they were of being sued by Mike Tyson.
Poor claw dancer got caught in that mess and did nothing wrong though.
For some reason, I like Vega better than Balrog, being in Spain and all, iirc. Been a while since I touched Street Fighter.

chujkus

Mar 23, 2019
They have to change the names to avoid copyright issues. Like for example, in Japan, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure manga and anime characters use a lot of famous band names from the West. To avoid potential lawsuits, in the US, several names were changed.
Examples of character names:
Spice Girl changed to Spicy Lady
Beach Boy to Fisher Man
Baby Face to Baby Head
Sticky Fingers to Zipper Man
Notorious B.I.G to Notorious Chase
Aerosmith to Lil Bomber
Limp Bizkit to Flacid Pancake
Flacid Pancake always gets me lmao

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Rolling Stones bought out the song Angie in 1982 (I made 1982 up)

Tumbling Dice bought out the song Flangie in 1903

When you use real names, places etc you have to get the facts right, people would know or google that Angie was actually 1973
Tumbling Dice does not exist, they can bring out any album when ever they wanted too.

Just another reason why fake names etc are used. My first game, the asset for the town was a town in France, I never mentioned France in the whole game, or the name of the actual real town, not because of any secret desire to hide it from the French authorities, it means I didn't have find out any actual facts on France or the town.

Oct 26, 2017
Even if you used a whole 3D reproduction of Paris in your game, said "this is Paris" and made money from it, I highly doubt France would take the time to sue you just because of the place and reference. Got your point though.

Tor7

Jun 10, 2021
Rolling Stones bought out the song Angie in 1982 (I made 1982 up)

Tumbling Dice bought out the song Flangie in 1903

When you use real names, places etc you have to get the facts right, people would know or google that Angie was actually 1973
Tumbling Dice does not exist, they can bring out any album when ever they wanted too.
Ah, I can see the freedom that would give. I hadn't thought of that. Good point.