Ren'Py - Completed - Fantasy Trainer [v1.1] [Kyle Mercury]

1. 4.00 star(s)

Linkolek

After completing all endings, getting every scene (including one where I needed to edit the script file) I can say that "finished " describes this game only if interpreted as "you can get to all (sort of) endings and dev stopped developing it". It's almost an AAA game experience.

If you just play this game, you will encounter a few bugs and "in development" dialogue at the beginning and in some places it will be painfully visible, that there was meant to be more there, but that's it. There is grind if you choose not to use cheatcodes, but one (+3000 gold, I think) is hinted through in game text and sufficent to breeze through first half if you play smart.

If you look into files, though... . Code looks like shit. Dev definitly was a writer or artist first, because the way some things (like clothing) are implemented makes my brain hurt. There are error here and there and issues everywhere. You can find some half started scenes, comments about things to do that weren't even starded, etc.

I don't know the story behind it, but it looks as if clothing mechanic weren't mean to be there until the very end of development. someone shoehorned them in, messed up the code and gave up on continuing before any clean up even started.

Graphics are decent to good, simple renpy animations (a few CGs in a loop, you know how it works), but bust sizes seem to chanche randomly. No music, VA, nor sound effects (not that I personally care about those). Story is basic but does it's job most of the time. Overall 3,5 / 5
    +/- 0,5 based on how frustrated you get with unpolished games.
  2. 5.00 star(s)

413-X

+Fun dialogue: Game with memorable characters and scenes that I still remember a few months after the fact
    +Nice character designs: Distinctive characters that so thatyou don´t
    /Lots of ending, including a Bad and Really Good ending, for the completionists
    -Grindy: You have to get a pretty tight routine and basically memorize the clicking places to eventually unlock more scenes, and most of them come as a continuation of the same scene that you already had to see at least 5 times.
  3. 2.00 star(s)

Gintlar

Fantasy Trainer [v1.1] [Kyle Mercury]
    Cute game that I recommend.
    The game has particular and original artwork. These art may be as pleasing as they may not be appreciated, but they are original.
    Mary's character is gorgeous, both thanks to her aesthetics (gorgeous) and thanks to the many actions that can be done with her, undoubtedly the best character.
    The other characters in the game are so-so. The princess is normal and has the classic princess behavior, the thief is ok, the shopkeeper is so-so, the rest is rejected in terms of aesthetics, as characters are well characterized.
    One of the biggest downsides is the lack of music, which was needed in this game. To buy everything you have to do boring actions for days, making the game repetitive like few others.
    The story is classic.
    Let's say that the game is close to 3 stars, but the only really notable things are the aesthetics and characterization of the characters (it's not excessive, but it still makes the characters understand).
  4. 4.00 star(s)

Rex Blue

Fantasy Trainer is a typical trainer style game in which you flirt, tease, fuck and generally corrupt your way through a harem of about a half dozen girls. It's very representative of the genre, using a combination of conversations and sex acts to corrupt and/or romance the various girls.

It's got decent writing, art which varies greatly in quality between good and awkward, and a good corruption arc for most of the girls. The game is definitely worth a play due to the girls. While they're not wildly original, they each have a distinct personality that generally feels worth seducing.

On the down side, as seems to be typical with this genre, grind is an irritating issue. It takes just a little too long to reach new events with the girls. In addition, the game doesn't feel quite finished despite it's tag. There's a handful of bugs and placeholder text that never got cleared out. Fortunately, it's mostly forgettable issues.

It's not the best trainer game I've ever played, but in Fantasy Trainer's defense, there's some stout competition. Nevertheless, Fantasy Trainer is worth a play if you've already tried the competition.
  5. 4.00 star(s)

mrttao

v1.1
    The art is fantastic. The girls are cute. The story is great.
    Game is rather buggy despite being v1.1 final. in particular you should avoid cell shaded unless you are a fan of bugs.
    Gameplay is excessively grindy. Would have rated this game much more harshly if it were not for the cheats
  6. 5.00 star(s)

TheSeakeer

I'm not very active on the site, but I always came back every month to download some games, and this one was one of the ones I was surprised playing cause, I had played it a few years ago, and I play it now and see it well improved so, satisfied is the word!
    I only have one criticism: There could have been more scenes with the maid/slave.
    She is a great character to explore, the few scenes they had I found fun and hot!
    Other than that, there's not much to say, standard system of choices, a bit of grinding but nothing absurd, the game is nice and fun.
  7. 2.00 star(s)

Dudlbert

Played 1.1 (Completed)

Pro: Some of the art is good and its a trainer game...

Con:
    • has still bugs where you get an error if you let the girls do stuff in the wrong (not standard clothes)
    • cant choose between corruption OR romance since you need BOTH stats to get the scenes for the girls and this doubles the length of the game for nothing
    • quality of art varies sometimes
    • grindy af! At some point i just started to cheat because you need so much money for the different outfits but guess what, they only show while in their normal pose, not within scenes... AND the stats of the girls rise so slow that it becomes a pain in the ass to to the same conversation over and over again
    • missed opportunity with Lilly
    Overall i would overlook most of the stuff because it seems its the first game from this dev and his new one is pretty good BUT to give it a "complete" tage while there are still errors is harsh...
  8. 5.00 star(s)

velvetsocks42

Despite some flaws, this game still contains some of the most memorable erogame moments I've ever gotten to enjoy, and the writing alone makes it one of those few games I make sure to replay every few years. This one is definitely worth a try.

Plus keep in mind that while the game is still a little grindy, it used to involve MUCH more grind in earlier versions, and some of the other reviews reflect that. I myself am having trouble remembering how much grind was still left on the final version of the game. But either way, it's nothing a little save editing won't fix.
  9. 5.00 star(s)

Milkman101

In short I feel the game is great but there are still some bugs that could be gamebreaking like after you unlock the brothel with elizabeth the town streets will be broken. BUT regardless i like the animations and the girls in question all are unique and fill certain pleasures. So for what I say is the game is excellent however keep in mind to save often
  10. 5.00 star(s)

Lol00000

Finally a fun trainer game to play, this game has great diversity of pretty girls , also has a big plus for it's humor, for a simple 2d game it's has very nice animations, the only con it's that you can't fuck madame rouge lol
  11. 5.00 star(s)

GameKage

It actually is a great game. The grind is easily abusable thanks to game being not time sensitive and the save load. Just unlock the thief girl send her to hardest heist and at the last day load till it is successful. Buy a bunch of scrolls and ur done.
  12. 5.00 star(s)

MezzaPez

Honestly this is by far one of THE BEST corruption games.

Admittedly it is A BIT grindy but compared to how grindy most of these kinds of games are? It really isn't THAT grindy compared to other games that are similar imho and honestly it doesn't really matter it is VERY WORTH IT.

All the H-Scenes are really good and really hot and the girls are beautiful and plentiful. The dialogue is good and the story is also good (at least I thought so!)

Honestly the only cons I can think of would basically be that yes it is a little grindy but not enough to complain about and from my play through there was only one bug that basically just said there was a missing file or something. Pretty much had 0 effect on my game though it just told me it was missing a file never figured out what it was and didn't care to since everything seemed to be working.

(Ah also, while the game is pretty straight forward it can be confusing how to progress onto the next scene and you have to click around so I just recommend a walkthrough to guide you to the next scene.)
  13. 3.00 star(s)

Regretter

Art: 6/10
    Gameplay: 4/10
    Story: 5/10
    Lewd: 6/10
    Animations: Yes, Partial
    Bugs: Found at least one
    My Overall Score: Average. 3/5, worth a play at least once.

Art:

I really love 2D games, even more than 3D games, the art here is nothing earth shattering, some perspectives are weird, but overall it's decent and arousing, and some scenes have animations which is pretty cool.

Gameplay:
    Super Grindy even with cheats, classic management style/VN

Story:
    -Pretty basic stuff, you're an all powerful mage and you get all the girls yada yada, the plus for the story is that there are a bunch of girls and all of them are very well designed.
    -the game takes a long time to play, and most of the time it's repetition of things you've already done, so expect to hold Ctrl a lot.
    -You can customize girls clothes a little, this idea is always a good one in games, but the options aren't plenty, and overall I wasn't satisfied with customization
  14. 3.00 star(s)

taler

Competently made trainer game, but everything is a bit ugly. The gameplay is pretty dull and the storyline is mediocre. Dropped it after a while, just lacked an x factor to make it interesting. The UI is a bit confusing and there's a lack of niceties to make it intuitive.
  15. 4.00 star(s)

sansee

First off, great art and fun characters but SO GRINDY! I suggest save editors or command console hacks.

Some great scenes that progress as the girls stats increase. When you meet a new girl save the game and have sex with her, then reload or you either miss the scene or get locked out any future ones; fun now and lots of fun later? With save and load you can do both!
  16. 3.00 star(s)

SparkCarrot

Ok, I really like this game, some character more that others, art so good, is a very solid trainer game. fun and hot scenes with everygirl in the game. It's just that, with time, the game becomes really boring.

Is excesively grindy, i spend hours just to buy one dress, with the princess working in the brothel, the full money of potions and garden, and orc girl giving me money, the drow girl with all the item failing to rob the bank. If you think about it, the item shop gets like 150 coins working all the week, but a dress cost 400 coins. Chinese girl could live selling one Dress, all the month. Also love potions didn't work as should, are very expensive and don't give a good increase in the love a parameter.

Really i wanted to see an ending, but increasing everything, everyday consumes too much time. I am done. You have to increase everyparameter talking and talking the same dialogue.

This game could be a five stars, just making easier the grinding, or with selling more cheapers items that really help.
  17. 3.00 star(s)

Wehrmacht_Wichser

Yes, as this review is written, I am the lowest rating of all the ratings here (in fact I am tempted to give it 2 stars, more on that later), and let me get this straight first:
    It is not because of the art style (mostly), I like the style.
    It is because other things.

So anyway, as the title suggested, this is a trainer game set in a fantasy world where you play as a Freelance Merc that might as well be alt-universe Ainz Ooal Gown if he is a human and without his tomb.
    Due to how fucking OP he is...base on how the game tells, but since this is a trainer game, fighting isn't really a thing...so that info might as well be useless.
    And just like Ainz, you are often dirt-poor and have to train a bunch of girls...wait, he doesn't need to do that, in fact, other than the ridiculously overpower part the story says he is, he is actually nothing like the Overlord...
    I really need to stop reading them novels.

The premise:
    So as mentioned, you are a very fucking OP mercenary that recently destroy a small city-state kingdom and kill their king. Your associates/contractees (I think) decide to make you the king of this newly conquered kingdom, and well, the last king has a princess leftover. So you know the drill...
    Like you need any reason to be a "trainer" in these games, there are girls, hop to it.

Gameplay:
    Oh boy, do I have a problem with this, but let's get the basic part out of the way.
    So you talk with the princess and get her corrupt meter and love meter up (or down), throw her in the dungeon to "punish" her. Or just order her to do things that trainer games let you do, so far pretty basic stuff.

But she is not the only available girl, there are others. But instead of "training" them, they are more like romanceable options:
    There is an Elf Maid who sold the kingdom out and still keep her job afterward after you takeover...who get very attracted to you later on if you romance her enough.
    A "Not Chinese" Item shop owner who sells you stuff that you can also romance if you play your cards right.
    A dryad from the nearby forest that can help you with the garden, and also romanceable, if you play your cards right as well.
    A thief who...I think she is also an elf, along with her sister. Who ends up living with you in the castle...if you play your cards right.
    There is also an Orc and "your mentor" that joins the fray, but they are still not developed to have too many scenes as this review is written...and believe or not that is not the problem I mentioned above.
    You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

So far, many girls to mess with, good, right?
    Well...the problem I have with the game appears here: IT. IS. SO. FU€KING. GRINDY.

Of the dozen trainer games I played, this game has a slower love/corrupt system...and it will be fine if we only have two or at most three train/romance options...
    But this game literally has half a dozen girls and the love/corrupt meter already goes so slow, it only triple, if not quadruple the time you try to grind everyone high enough to make things happen
    , it doesn't help the dialogue isn't variant enough and you have to talk about the same thing at least four times a week just to grind the meters up...and that is very exhausting, more so than fell into a trance in some other game where I have to work every day, at least I get money out of it and that game still have shenanigans happen almost every day...

Oh and speaking of money, you are a freelance mercenary that literally takes over a fucking kingdom, why are you this poor?
    I know trainer games have to restrict your funds in some way to make the game not too easy since there won't be any finance issue if you start with literally 70 million gold because you are a mercenary who takes over an entire kingdom.
    But this game goes for the opposite end: You are literally too poor, everything from the item shop costs a ton, and you don't have a reliable way to make money fast enough. Make the game even more grindy...a top on the half a dozen girl you have to train/romance.

So basically, too grindy, and you are too poor as a King/Mercenary who just conquer the damn place.

In fact, I will confess I am tempted to rate it 2 stars base on how bad the grind is, making it the lowest rated game I rated on this site, but since I actually stick with it for probably a dozen hours means I am somewhat into it, so eh, three it is.

Artstyle:
    Well, personally I like the art style and the hand-drawn simplistic nature of it...but this is that kind of art style when I saw it, the first thought I have is: "Some dickhead will take a piss on this style thinking it is too primitive, despite they can't draw for shit."
    But so far, I see the reviews are pretty positive...in fact, this is the lowest review as it is written on this game.
    So I guess people aren't as bad as I imagine.

Although I said am fine with the art style, but that is more of a characters' thing...a lot of background image really gives me a "I can whip this out in three minutes using Paint" vibe, and that isn't good.

Overall, not bad. Even though the background is very lacking in a lot of them.

Story & Personalities:
    I mean, it is a trainer game set in a fantasy world, what do you expect?
    You take over a kingdom, tell the people do continue their daily life like nothing is wrong...while running around as the king minding your own business training the ex-princess on the land.

Most trainees have a similar personality, rigorous, prideful, someone who doesn't follow any "bad people's" orders, the usual stuff.
    It is the other characters that have not so standard personalities:
    The not Chinese Item Shop owner is your friendly bumbling girl.
    The dryad is a tsundere, because of course.
    The thief sisters are the trouble maker (at first) and the innocent one.
    The orc girl is a masochist, while your mentor is the dominant type.

It is also worth mentioning the protagonist, you know, the guy who is so fucking OP it reminds me of Overlord just by pure op-ness along (and nothing else aside from the black armor) can have different personalities base on your response...but as usual, your response is either "good hero with some girl issue" or " dipshit who like to bad mouth someone for fun".
    There is no real middle ground here, but I won't say it is negative...

In conclusion:
    This is a mixed bag, and despite every time I see the art style, I have the feeling of "Well I like this, but I know someone is gonna shame it, despite they can't draw for shit." and the asinine grind it has, I still play it long enough for something to happen, so I think I like the game...maybe.

TL;DR
    A Trainer game with lots of characters to interact with, but has a slow training meter with every girl that ends up making the game far more grinder than everything else I ever played. It has a fine enough art style, somewhat simple background images, and for some reason, I am sucked into the grind just to see what will happen.
  18. 4.00 star(s)

Sanito

Tried out this game on version .93. I found the art style enjoyable, and probably simple enough that it won't be years between content updates. Gameplay is a bit grindy currently - to raise girls stats you have to talk to them, but not all conversations raise stats.

The game does not explain this, but for any girl - Do not fuck them the first time you meet them. This isn't surprising for cases like the thief, where you just rape her in an alley, but in other cases, I did not realize it was locking me out of content (especially since for example, the MC will say "I should go check on character" even though you cannot).

There also seemed to be some buggy cases where for example, Mary's corruption was initially higher and her sexual acts were performed with a lot of slutty flavor. Then when her love passed her corruption, she started being shy about it.

All in all, has solid potential. I'd like to see more granularity in various levels of love/corruption. Right now it just seems like a switch is hit at some point and all the sudden the princess goes into slut mode
  19. 5.00 star(s)

1q1q1q1q1q1q1q1q

Fantasy Trainer is a great game with a solid concept and plenty of content as of version 0.9. This game knows what it is about, hooking up with girls from the classic fantasy races and how to get there in an engaging way. The art is well done, and the writing is solid. My only real complaints are some of the mechanics on earning money which felt very slow and time passing which some actions passed no time while others did and just felt awkward at times to me.

Overall, this game is now soundly kept in my library and I recommend it to my friends.
  20. 4.00 star(s)

Riion

I didnt think I would have so much fun with this. I was able do a full play through redoing some choices just to see what happen. The art was hot.

If I were able to go after all the girls this be perfect.