Feedback on visual style for the game: Kindread

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
I'm working on a series of VNs based in an apocalyptic world and have settled on a visual approach. However I'd appreciate some feedback on this approach.

The style is to keep the 3D models (Honey Select) in their original form within a distressed environment, using only two colours. Photoshop is then used for adding effects.

You can see some examples below (from previous experiments), or download the current VN here:
*EDIT: Removed link as game can now be found here:
(It's a taster, so only one short scene, no choices and some nudity. You'll also have to input your relationship to each other.)

I plan to add blur (distance) to the environments and will use a limited palette, but is the style too jarring? Is adding or detracting from the story?

I appreciate that it's a small example to base feedback on, but thanks for reading.

BtS_1.png KH_Sleep1.png KR_Sam_Classroom1.jpg

Romaxz

Mar 25, 2017
The backgrounds are making the models look worse than they are.
The clothes are too clean for how dirty the characters are.

Reactions: dunhill

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
The backgrounds are making the models look worse than they are.
The clothes are too clean for how dirty the characters are.
Hi Romaxz, the dirty characters are only that way for a certain storyline, and just a test with some mods. I'll add more effects once it reaches that part.

Could you elaborate on why are the backgrounds making the models look worse? How are they doing this?

Cheers.

May 24, 2018
The backgrounds are too busy for the whole image. Also they look messy and not what you are trying to which is apocalyptic style.
Basically the backgrounds looks like a 80s movie set and overpowering. Just my thoughts on it.

Hi Romaxz, the dirty characters are only that way for a certain storyline, and just a test with some mods. I'll add more effects once it reaches that part.

Could you elaborate on why are the backgrounds making the models look worse? How are they doing this?

Cheers.

Reactions: inkalicious

inkalicious

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
The backgrounds are too busy for the whole image. Also they look messy and not what you are trying to which is apocalyptic style.
Basically the backgrounds looks like a 80s movie set and overpowering. Just my thoughts on it.
Thanks MisterMuffins. I've been concerned that I've been caught-up in an idea that's run away with itself.

I choose duotone environments to reduce their visual impact, but then went with highly saturated colours.
It's good to step back and thanks for the feedback.

rf96

I rape lolis with my tentacles
Uploader
Donor
Aug 11, 2017
I often found Honeyselect to be too dark. Perhaps you could use a rendering software like iRay to brighten them up. Radianteld does that well (picture in my sig).