Feedback on when to post a game.

Lapsa

Game Developer
May 30, 2020
Hey, I hope this is the right place to post this.

I've been spending quite a lot of time recently in working to create a text-based game (using inform7) focused on corruption (of various flavors and stripes) and other fetishes. I already have a vague idea of what I want to go, and the direction I want to take it - however working on it has left me a bit burnt out as it is starting to impede on my other work - notably paid work - and I am starting to feel more unsure of what I have so far in regards to playability and workability for what I want.

I wanted to know what people thought I should do. I could upload what I already have - even as little and as messy as it is - as a sort of 'demo' and get feedback to hopefully help motivate me to continue development or try to push forward to have something more substantial to show later. There is definitely enough to get a feel for the game so far, I think - at least a vague one - and there are also already a few scenes written up. So, thoughts?

Lstprod

Nov 28, 2020
From my point of view you should upload your game if you are able to receive criticism on the possible lack of content or other things without it demotivating you. If you are not sure about this then you should wait until you have a version that you think is correct and playable (regardless of what others think).

Or even simpler, you ask if some people (3 or 4) want to test your game and tell you if they think there is enough content to upload it and other common bug checks. At least you'll have a little advice that will help you see where you stand.

Lapsa

Game Developer
May 30, 2020
Without good images, a game just with text is meaningless.

If you think it's a really good story, and you have no skill about creating images. Then you can turn it into a novel and publish it to novel communities.

Nobody cares a text story in a game forum.
Getting visual art to go along with my game is a no-go for now, as that would be a massive investment of money I simply do not have. I do appreciate the feedback though, perhaps if it ends up getting enough financial support from folks after I post it I can certainly invest in that!

I'm also not making a visual novel or I - as an erotic story writer - would 100% just write a story instead. Sorry if I failed to convey this well in my post! Think of games like 'CoC', 'TiTs', 'Flexible Survival' (which uses the same engine), 'Lilith's Throne', 'Devious World', 'Strive for Power', and several others that are on here and exceptionally popular (there is even a tag for 'text-basd' games).

Lstprod

Nov 28, 2020
Some artists are ok to work on projet without being paid, just with hope on futur income sharing. Well... maybe some people are ok to just do that for fun so maybe try to ask on the recruitment and service sub forum.

xoxo

Jul 4, 2017
Maybe release parts of your text/story in specialized forums first? Or start a thread to talk about your ideas instead of actually releasing a demo. Release the game only when you're proud of it as it is.

I'd say though, if you're feeling burnt out and demotivated at this early stage of development I don't believe you'll find what you need by releasing an early version for some (probably bad, if any) feedback. If you want to make money out of it and receive a lot of good feedback then make sure your first release is actually good. People won't teach you how to make your game good after you release a demo. Yes, feedback can help, but it's up to you to study the market, analyze the occasional feedback and make your game good.

I understand how it is to have a project and be dying to show it to people too soon because you're so excited about it and unsure about its success, but you need to resist the temptation. Believe in your product and take things slowly, success usually takes time and constant work anyway!