PeggyBlackett

Engaged Member
Jan 24, 2018
Okay. This game reads like it was written by a Commonwealth type - British spellings and turns of phrase.

Why are the two cars we're told are in Scotland driving on the wrong side of the road?

Reactions: Crushstation

Sartain

Jul 4, 2017
Okay. This game reads like it was written by a Commonwealth type - British spellings and turns of phrase.

Why are the two cars we're told are in Scotland driving on the wrong side of the road?
I feel like your signature explains it perfectly :D

PeggyBlackett

Engaged Member
Jan 24, 2018
Quibble:

You take the Glock 19 out of your purse and cock it; it's now ready to fire when you pull the trigger.
The Glock doesn't need to be cocked - it is a double-action pistol; a trigger pull "cocks" and fires it; there is no hammer to cock.

Reactions: Crushstation

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
Crush, I was struck by an event in the Istanbul scenario that made me think that there might be another story element that the game could really use: the Female Agent is somewhat alienated from the world by her profession. In Istanbul she has a chance to take some actions to overcome that and, very realistically, that doesn't turn out very well.

In Bangkok, the desire to have someone who really can appreciate her for what she is as a person, rather than a prostitute, will be enormous. But giving in to that desire would be dangerous, because she might say something that is true about her, but not her cover alter-ego. So there would be tension between her desire for personal (not sexual) intimacy and her mission. The game has am attribute called "Neuroticism" which is defined (in the game) as "a tendency to experience negative emotions." The more she remains an outsider without any intimates, the more neurotic she grows. This seems like something the game could play off against the "suspicion" variable to (I believe) be introduced.

The game would then have the played need to have the Female Agent intimately connect with people around her, so she doesn't get neurotic and abandon the mission, and avoid becoming intimate with the wrong people, who would report her suspicious inconsistencies to either the terrorists or the gangs. Who could she trust? Maybe have some telltale dialogues that would tell the perceptive player that this person cannot be trusted, and these tells could be random (who is untrustworthy, and how the Agent can tell) in different playthroughs.

Anyway, just a thought provoked by that really well-done scene in Istambul. Take it for what it is worth.

Crushstation

Game Developer
Sep 21, 2017
Crush, I was struck by an event in the Istanbul scenario that made me think that there might be another story element that the game could really use: the Female Agent is somewhat alienated from the world by her profession. In Istanbul she has a chance to take some actions to overcome that and, very realistically, that doesn't turn out very well.

In Bangkok, the desire to have someone who really can appreciate her for what she is as a person, rather than a prostitute, will be enormous. But giving in to that desire would be dangerous, because she might say something that is true about her, but not her cover alter-ego. So there would be tension between her desire for personal (not sexual) intimacy and her mission. The game has am attribute called "Neuroticism" which is defined (in the game) as "a tendency to experience negative emotions." The more she remains an outsider without any intimates, the more neurotic she grows. This seems like something the game could play off against the "suspicion" variable to (I believe) be introduced.

The game would then have the played need to have the Female Agent intimately connect with people around her, so she doesn't get neurotic and abandon the mission, and avoid becoming intimate with the wrong people, who would report her suspicious inconsistencies to either the terrorists or the gangs. Who could she trust? Maybe have some telltale dialogues that would tell the perceptive player that this person cannot be trusted, and these tells could be random (who is untrustworthy, and how the Agent can tell) in different playthroughs.

Anyway, just a thought provoked by that really well-done scene in Istambul. Take it for what it is worth.
Joe Steel, that's really interesting feedback, thank you. I am indeed planning to introduce some kind of (optional) romantic relationship subplots into Bangkok. I've saved your comments so I can refer back to them when we're working on that feature. Thanks so much, I really appreciate the thoughtful suggestion.

Crushstation

Game Developer
Sep 21, 2017
At least he didn't have the agent flip the safety off.
Ahahaha! I actually did in an earlier version. From seeing Glocks in films I'd always assumed the little lever above the trigger guard was the safety catch.

Quibble:
The Glock doesn't need to be cocked - it is a double-action pistol; a trigger pull "cocks" and fires it; there is no hammer to cock.
Thanks, guys. As you've detected, I'm not familiar with this weapon, so I'm eager to pick your brains! PeggyBlackett, on the weapon system I'm most familiar with you load a round from the magazine into the chamber by pulling the cocking handle to the rear, then letting it spring forward (just like you do with the slide on a handgun).

I'd always assumed I was cocking the weapon, since I was using the cocking handle to make it ready to fire: is that not right? What's the correct word to describe the process of making a loaded semiautomatic handgun ready to go bang?

Last edited:

Doc_Odd

Jun 15, 2017
I don't actually know about the cocking issue, but others have made the safety mistake, so I'd discovered from previous discussions that the Glock has a complex safety mechanism which is released by a finger squeezing the trigger. The safety mechanism makes it very unlikely that the gun will go off as a result of anything other than a finger squeezing the trigger (it won't accidentally go off when dropped or anything), and Glock considered that sufficient.

PeggyBlackett

Engaged Member
Jan 24, 2018
I don't actually know about the cocking issue, but others have made the safety mistake, so I'd discovered from previous discussions that the Glock has a complex safety mechanism which is released by a finger squeezing the trigger. The safety mechanism makes it very unlikely that the gun will go off as a result of anything other than a finger squeezing the trigger (it won't accidentally go off when dropped or anything), and Glock considered that sufficient.
Heh. The current Glocks have an "improved" safety {introduced several years ago} because too many New York cops were having accidental discharges.

Personally, i don't like the thought of a weap[on that can ONLY be fired by double-action, but, horse races and all that.

PeggyBlackett

Engaged Member
Jan 24, 2018
PeggyBlackett, on the weapon system I'm most familiar with you load a round from the magazine into the chamber by pulling the cocking handle to the rear, then letting it spring forward (just like you do with the slide on a handgun).
Yeah; on most semi-automatic handguns racking the slide {letting it snap forward when you don't have to is showoff/movie stuff {better to pull it back and ride it forward - less unnecessary stress on the mechanism} chambers a round and cocks the hammer.

If you plan to carry the piece with a live one chambered, it's better to lower the hammer - slowly and carefully goes without saying - and accept the small delay cocking it before firing will entail over the danger of carrying a cocked, loaded weapon.

A number of semi-auto handguns can be carried hammer down and a round chambered, and have a double-action capability for firing the first round by pulling the trigger. One of the reasons behind the Glock system is that such handguns have a different trigger pull on the first shot {since it has to cock the hammer} than on subsequent ones, but the Glock is consistent.

As to possible dangers involved in carrying a handgun with a chambered round and dropping it - some have "inertia" firing pins - the firing pin passes through a metal block; a spring holds it back where the hammer can strike it. When the hammer strikes it, the firing pin is driven forward, with inertia carrying it far enough to fire the round.

The pin is shorter than the block it moves through is thick, so it cannot hit the round unless driven by the hammer; to fget a discharge by dropping the piece, if it's possible at all, it would have to take such a hit that it would deform the entire back of the gun.

{An example of such is the Walther P38, which has an inertia firing pin and double action, making it safe to carry ready and quick to bring into action.}

{Of course, i could be wrong on some of this since most of my knowledge is either second-hand or from books. I used to know a gunsmith who worked at the Glock subsidiary in Atlanta... but lost touch years ago.}

An Interesting Factoid: Glock pistols do not have barrels with a round bore; they have either hexagonal or octagonal {.45 versions} barrels.

Reactions: Jaster42

HeelsMaiden

Mar 22, 2019
Right now it's not that bad since the game is still relatively short and linear. But when we get to Bangkok, we really need to be able to load save files from previous versions otherwise it will be tedious to replay the "open-world" elements of Bangkok.

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
Right now it's not that bad since the game is still relatively short and linear. But when we get to Bangkok, we really need to be able to load save files from previous versions otherwise it will be tedious to replay the "open-world" elements of Bangkok.
I think that that is one of the primary motivations to get the mechanics down before the Bangkok portion of the story, because the negative reactions to having to restart 1/3 of the way through the Bangkok storyline would be worse than the negative reactions to getting to the Bangkok storyline 3 months later.

Crushstation

Game Developer
Sep 21, 2017
every time I start this game on windows or android the pictures won't appear, I know it's a text-based game but it's annoying the pages are messed up, how can I fix it?
The game gets all images from the web, so you need a live internet connection to see the pics. The next version, however, will be (optionally) available as a downloadable file with all the images included, so you can play it offline.

Crushstation

Game Developer
Sep 21, 2017
Yes, absolutely. We've created some early code for an import wizard and will implement it in a future version.

3.50 star(s) 110 Votes