Female/Male Protagonist Tag

AlayaScyra

Nov 20, 2019
Let me preface this:

I like games with a female protagonist, I am fine with playing a scene or two with a male one, but recently I have been seeing a trend of having both tags on a game, where the protagonist is male but you play a small section as female.

This is creating a lot of confusion in games, especially when the author does not state which character you control, multiple protagonists having both is fine, but it is often the case that you are playing with side characters for these instances, is there anywhere on the site that is requiring people to put those tags up? I don't want to block male protagonist because a lot of games I like will have the tag even though that is not exactly the case, or the game gives you the choice of what to play. What sort of system/tag might help with this issue?

GreenGobbo

Oct 18, 2018
Okay, pretty simple here.
If you are playing a game and run across something that it should have been tagged for (multiple protagonist, specific kink, etc) but it was missing that tag:

Go back to the OP for that game.

At the bottom left of the OP hit the link that says report.

Select Other.

In the text box type "Missing tags" and then list whatever tags were missing, and send it off.

Wont filter out anything, but it will help make sure things are getting tagged appropriately.

If you want to avoid certain tags just use the Exclude filter and any games with a tag you choose from it will be excluded feom your search results.

BlasterChief

Jul 12, 2020
That's the general problem with the tags: In their current form they are too imprecise to cover all those specifics, but if you wanted more precise tags the total number of tags might explode, meaning more work for the mods and uploaders while making the search more difficult since you would have to try different combinations to find all interesting games. It's up to the devs or uploaders to provide a description of the game that covers the things the tags alone cannot convey.

I do have to admit that not all is perfect in its current form. Just think of the NTR-tag: It includes cucking NPCs as well as getting cucked by NPCs which is obviously a huge difference and its use immediately causes lots of whining by closeted cuck-boys who vehemently and publicly deny liking that stuff. Meanwhile whoever maintains the tags decided to use the tags gay and lesbian instead of combining them into a homosexual tag to avoid lesbian fans getting surprised by pictures of dudes bonking each other and vice versa. That's either inconsistent work or intentional cuck-baiting. :LOL:

BlasterChief

Jul 12, 2020
I don't think it does
Maybe that's the official definition. In my experience games featuring netori content tend to use the tag for a lack of an alternative, which is why I don't exclude that tag in my searches and read the description instead. Besides, the discussion has popped up so many times in so many different threads... ;)

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
I don't want to block male protagonist because a lot of games I like will have the tag even though that is not exactly the case, or the game gives you the choice of what to play. What sort of system/tag might help with this issue?
You should check what other tags it is combined with, for instance if it has female+male protag plus one of the following:
-character creation: usually means you can select your character before starting the game
-multiple protag: in this case then you could be switching between male/female on different sections

There is just no absolute tag combo for any specific thing thats why you should also use common sense, read the synopsis and view the screenshots. That should be enough information to figure out the rest.
Maybe that's the official definition. In my experience games featuring netori content tend to use the tag for a lack of an alternative, which is why I don't exclude that tag in my searches and read the description instead.
No, that's because some games that have netorare also have netori, nothing new. But the tag is not used for netori only games. If you see a game that only has netori using the netorare tag you should report it.

Last edited:

BlasterChief

Jul 12, 2020
No, that's because some games that have netorare also have netori, nothing new. But the tag is not used for netori only games. If you see a game that only has netori using the netorare tag you should report it.
Well, I guess I learned something new and stand corrected. I'm not an expert on those games but I did read some of the discussions in the threads of games I played that only had optional netori/NTR content.

unocrus

Oct 28, 2018
The thing with tag searches is they can be as narrow or robust as the community demands. VNDB for example has the very tags you're looking for listed as and . When paired with other tags for perspective changes you're able to infer a lot of information about who's the protagonist and for how much of the narrative you play as them.