RPGM Few questions about RPGM game dev.

granit2000

Jul 3, 2021
Good day everyone!

So, I'm at very beginning of making game on RPGM MV.
It will be my first attempt at gamedev ever, so it will be fair to make it 100% free.

Right now, it's about ~45 minutes of "gameplay" mostly text, and few dialogue "forks".
By my estimates it will take 4-6 months to do something playable, because i do it alone, and haven't so much experiance.

First of all, about ingame pictures:
Because i'm not good at painting, is it OK to use screenshots "processed" in photoshop, from another games? Like from Skyrim with mods?
Or there some kind of "taboo" on such things?

The second one is a language barrier:
English is not my first, but i'm try to do my best, re-checking at google translate, to remove\correct orphographic mistakes. But there 100% will be the problems with correct build sentences.
So, question are simple: What to do better: Keep it on "as is" on English?
Or write text on my native, to not be ashamed for my bad English, and left translation to other entusiasts?

And last one:
Because i have no experiance in release anything, what the best strategy?
Upload game when it be 100% ready?
Or by the pieces\chapters, in order to fix bugs, and get some feedback and suggestions about plot advancing?

Thank you in advance!

besimole

Nov 15, 2021
These are very big and difficult questions, my friend.
Any game will find its fan - I believe in it.
There is nothing wrong with the option with screenshots from Skyrim, but in some way it is stealing someone else's content... Someone was doing animations and all that.

Making 100% of the game and posting it is not the best practice for many reasons. I've tried this myself, but it's very, very difficult to do anything without feedback and some kind of editorial from users. It's better to make a demo and get some feedback and then decide whether to continue or take a new idea.

besimole

Nov 15, 2021
Language - I have seen many examples of games where people did not write in their native language and their text sometimes looked very strange. I recommend writing in your native language, and then ask for help translating the text into English, maybe even for a fee.

granit2000

Jul 3, 2021
There is nothing wrong with the option with screenshots from Skyrim, but in some way it is stealing someone else's content... Someone was doing animations and all that.
FIrst of all: thanks for the answer!
Yep, it was a easyest solution for me - Skyrim graphics is a very realistic, and a creation tool allow me to make "my own unique" characters.
I can "cut" character via photoshop, and apply some filters, and place them into different scenes.
Main question was - is this acceptable to community?
Making 100% of the game and posting it is not the best practice for many reasons. I've tried this myself, but it's very, very difficult to do anything without feedback and some kind of editorial from users.
I'll already gave it on testing to few friends - so i got some critique and advises. It's some kind a hobby for me, monetisation isn't a main priority.
I just want to get it done with my vision, without deadlines or promises.
where people did not write in their native language and their text sometimes looked very strange.
That's exactly thing that I afraid.
Simple example:
Does reading my english messages here make your eyes are blood-bleed?
If it's fine - I keep it on as is.
If not - I will remake it on my native language, maybe someone translate it someday correctly.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Does reading my english messages here make your eyes are blood-bleed?

Your English is fine.
For extra reassurance, consider running your dialogue through a writing assistant like . If you do it in small chunks, it's easy enough to do everything without paying a subscription. Though you might need to type it up first, run it through grammarly and then copy paste things into RPGM.

pepette

Game Developer
Feb 20, 2018
Because i'm not good at painting, is it OK to use screenshots "processed" in photoshop, from another games? Like from Skyrim with mods?
If you use images from another game (honeySelect, Skyrim...) you will have problems if you sell your game. If you distribute it for free, nothing serious.
If you "only" open a donation system (like "buy me a coffee"), you will have to raise enough money to wake up the lawyers of the original game. So, there is some room for improvement.

English is not my first, but i'm try to do my best, re-checking at google translate, to remove\correct orphographic mistakes. But there 100% will be the problems with correct build sentences.
Or write text on my native, to not be ashamed for my bad English, and left translation to other entusiasts?
I myself have had problems making my game in EngRish. It will take one or two posts before fans will offer to correct your mistakes.
If you don't make an "English" (or at last EngRish) version, you can't publish it on F95zone.
In the meantime, absolutely avoid google translate. It's better to use DeepL. (the first one translates word by word, the second one sentence by sentence). It doesn't solve everything, but it's better.

And last one:
Or by the pieces\chapters, in order to fix bugs, and get some feedback and suggestions about plot advancing?
Don't wait until your game is finished to publish it.
Especially if you develop it alone.
Players are used to having games in development, and they will give you feedback (opinions, bug reports) that will be very useful.
You can also get help if your English is not up to par (provided that your game is liked).

Hope I can help

Reactions: Artificial Sloth

granit2000

Jul 3, 2021
If you use images from another game (honeySelect, Skyrim...) you will have problems if you sell your game. If you distribute it for free, nothing serious.
If you "only" open a donation system (like "buy me a coffee"), you will have to raise enough money to wake up the lawyers of the original game. So, there is some room for improvement.
So, if i release my first game free, there's no problem at all?
In the meantime, absolutely avoid google translate. It's better to use DeepL. (the first one translates word by word, the second one sentence by sentence). It doesn't solve everything, but it's better.
As 79flavors suggest earlier:
consider running your dialogue through a writing assistant like .
I already re-check the entire text it the , so it must be fine now, or at least readable.
Players are used to having games in development, and they will give you feedback (opinions, bug reports) that will be very useful.
That's a reasonable point, but I'd still like to make a little more of the game, before uploading it.
For now, it's only a prologue, and i still need to fill it with images, and fix some problems.
It will be a shame to upload such an unfinished and short part of the game.
Hope I can help
Sure you are! Thank you!

exer

Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Good day everyone!

So, I'm at very beginning of making game on RPGM MV.
It will be my first attempt at gamedev ever, so it will be fair to make it 100% free.

Right now, it's about ~45 minutes of "gameplay" mostly text, and few dialogue "forks".
By my estimates it will take 4-6 months to do something playable, because i do it alone, and haven't so much experiance.

And last one:

Thank you in advance!
First and foremost, don't worry about what people say or think about your game. Especially your first game. There's always going to be people that like it and there's always going to be people that don't. Just make something that you like and are proud of.

That being said, you can use whatever you want for your in game pictures. Especially if you're just posting here. Honestly, this is a piracy forum. There's so much here that is stolen. As long as you release your game for free and at least try to give credit, don't worry about what some people say. Even if you use something like honeyselect or skyrim, some people aren't going to like it and they're probably going to say bad things. Just ignore those people. There's probably going to be some people that like it too.
As long as you're releasing the game for free, then just do what you can. That's the only way to learn. Maybe once you've made a game or two you can try moving on to something like DAZ instead. I personally don't think it's a good idea to use anything unless it's been released for free though, but once again, this is a piracy forum. No one here really has the right to say anything.

Your English is fine. You'll get better the more you use it too. If you want the largest possible audience, then making the game in English is the best idea.
And a small note, I wouldn't get your hopes up and expect there to be enthusiasts willing to do something like mod or translate your game. It's best to go in and expect no one to play your game, especially for your first game. Having high expectations is just going to make it really suck if people don't like the game right away. Sometimes it takes a while before a game gets players. Even the most popular games and developers started off small. Like I said before, just make something that you like and are proud of.

For releasing, it's up to you. Some people will say they would rather see a game when it's finished, others will say that they would rather get updates. I personally think it's best to have 2-3 large updates. So about 1/3 of the game is finished on the first release. That way you can get feedback and improve the game as it goes, but people get a good amount of content each time.
However, if you plan on having something like a Patreon, it's best to do small updates. The games that are ongoing and only update in small pieces over long periods of time tend to make the most money. A huge part of that also depends on the quality of the game and what's in it though.

Hopefully that helps. The most important thing to keep in mind when starting out is to just not worry about what other people think. I'll say it one more time, just make something that you like and are proud of.

Reactions: Artificial Sloth

granit2000

Jul 3, 2021
First and foremost, don't worry about what people say or think about your game. Especially your first game. There's always going to be people that like it and there's always going to be people that don't. Just make something that you like and are proud of.

That being said, you can use whatever you want for your in game pictures. Especially if you're just posting here. Honestly, this is a piracy forum. There's so much here that is stolen. As long as you release your game for free and at least try to give credit, don't worry about what some people say. Even if you use something like honeyselect or skyrim, some people aren't going to like it and they're probably going to say bad things. Just ignore those people. There's probably going to be some people that like it too.
As long as you're releasing the game for free, then just do what you can. That's the only way to learn. Maybe once you've made a game or two you can try moving on to something like DAZ instead. I personally don't think it's a good idea to use anything unless it's been released for free though, but once again, this is a piracy forum. No one here really has the right to say anything.

Your English is fine. You'll get better the more you use it too. If you want the largest possible audience, then making the game in English is the best idea.
And a small note, I wouldn't get your hopes up and expect there to be enthusiasts willing to do something like mod or translate your game. It's best to go in and expect no one to play your game, especially for your first game. Having high expectations is just going to make it really suck if people don't like the game right away. Sometimes it takes a while before a game gets players. Even the most popular games and developers started off small. Like I said before, just make something that you like and are proud of.

For releasing, it's up to you. Some people will say they would rather see a game when it's finished, others will say that they would rather get updates. I personally think it's best to have 2-3 large updates. So about 1/3 of the game is finished on the first release. That way you can get feedback and improve the game as it goes, but people get a good amount of content each time.
However, if you plan on having something like a Patreon, it's best to do small updates. The games that are ongoing and only update in small pieces over long periods of time tend to make the most money. A huge part of that also depends on the quality of the game and what's in it though.

Hopefully that helps. The most important thing to keep in mind when starting out is to just not worry about what other people think. I'll say it one more time, just make something that you like and are proud of.
Thank you for your moral support! I will try to do my best.