Filename of patch in Renpy?

Yngling

Nov 15, 2020
Question about Renpy: does the filename of a patch (e.g. incest patch) matter at all?

Does the game specifically look for (e.g.) "ipatch.rpa" in the game folder?
Or does it just load all files in the game folder?

Niv-Mizzet the Firemind

Mar 15, 2020
For the vast majority of the games it doesn't really matter, the file will do its job. Just make sure to use a name that corresponds to its function so it's clear to you. I'd also avoid using spaces in the filename, like incest patch.rpa, even though I just tested it with Savior and it works even like that.

Edit: though, to be fair, some games do use a function to see if a certain file exists in the game directory to enable extra content and such.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yngling

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Edit: though, to be fair, some games do use a function to see if a certain file exists in the game directory to enable extra content and such.
It's not the sole problem.

Scripts and archives are proceeded by alphabetic order. Therefore the patch should have a name ensuring that it will be proceeded after the parts it modify ; or be in an archive that will be proceeded after the one containing the parts it modify.
Else, it will goes from "unknown label" and "unknown attribute" errors, to change that aren't take in count.

Reactions: Yngling

Yngling

Nov 15, 2020
Thanks guys!

The problem I have is that I generally download everything into one big download folder.

So, it contains "game1.zip" and "game8.zip", but if both games need "patch.rpa", I usually rename the patch file to "game1_patch.rpa" in order to know which game the patch belongs to as well as avoiding overwriting the patch file.

Now I know for sure that I have to remember to remove everything before the _ and remember my own renaming conventions....

But yeah, I do have the experience of not renaming the patch back the original name, but I still found it to be working. Now I know why that may be the case. Thanks again!