Daz Files become too big when I use gometry editor.

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
I wanted to modify one hair and remove some polygons. I used the Geometry editor in Daz to remove some polygons and found that when I save a scene containing this hair, it grows to about 70 MB. And that's not the way, because any scene where I would use this modified hair would be too big. Any solution to modify objects in the Geometry editor and use them without such an increase in file size?

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
Looks like I found a solution. Save as --> Support Asser --> Figure/Prop Assets
Then all hair modifications are saved only once and the file size of the scenes that use this hair remains small, because the scenes only refer to this modified product instead of saving modifications to the geometry as part of the scene.

Are there any risks of this approach that I should know about to avoid future problems? Of course, I'm aware of such obvious things like I shouldn't the data of the modified asset.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
You've essentially figured out what was going on. Under normal circumstances, your scene file uses references to other files to say "use that mesh," "use this texture." That's all fine until you start editing meshes within the scene. Since DS doesn't want you to lose the original content, it copies the mesh data into your scene file, so that you're working on a local copy. Which, of course, takes a lot of space.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
You've essentially figured out what was going on. Under normal circumstances, your scene file uses references to other files to say "use that mesh," "use this texture." That's all fine until you start editing meshes within the scene. Since DS doesn't want you to lose the original content, it copies the mesh data into your scene file, so that you're working on a local copy. Which, of course, takes a lot of space.
In short, Daz saves the original hair and the changed hair both in the scene.

Are there any risks of this approach that I should know about to avoid future problems? Of course, I'm aware of such obvious things like I shouldn't the data of the modified asset.
What you did there is you saved the changed hair as a new Hair asset. When you save the scene afterwards it will use the new hair and not two copies, that's fine and "should" bear no risk (knowing Daz, nothing is safe^^).

Reactions: lawfullame and Rich