Filling "boxes" with content and move them with xalign 0.5 yalign 0.5 possible?

Avalonica

Oct 11, 2017
Hello and sorry for being back to the very basics, but here are some examples that I have some issues solving in a optimized way:

Lets say this is 3 lines of text, how would you best "box them" so they can be ordered around (as a unity) with the xalign 0.5 yalign 0.5 command?
Code:
text "This is the first line"
text "This is the second line"
text "This is the third line"
Lets say we now have 3 different "boxed" examples of the one in the code example. How would the code look to move them 3 different boxes around on screen with box 1 on: xalign 0.5 yalign 0.5, box 2 on xalign 0.6 yalign 0.6 and box 3 on xalign 0.8 yalign 0.8
Code:
Renpy for sure lack a GUI to work in, and I am not used to work in non-GUI environment. Looking on WIKI does not help since it's zero practical examples that I understand currently. I think if I receive some guidance on the above examples in written code , then I'll understand.

Here is an example of a problem I currently have:

I need to order "stuff" like this around on the screen with impunity i.e. xalign and yalign commands. Then I at least can design 100% the way I want the screen to look like.
Code:
                    vbox:
                        label _('Display')
                        textbutton _('Window') action Preference('display', 'window')  style_suffix 'warn_button'
                        textbutton _('Fullscreen') action Preference('display', 'fullscreen')  style_suffix 'warn_button'
Code:
                    vbox:
                        label _("Rollback Side")
                        textbutton _("Disable") action Preference("rollback side", "disable")
                        textbutton _("Left") action Preference("rollback side", "left")
                        textbutton _("Right") action Preference("rollback side", "right")
Now, if I could "wrap" those evil unruly lines of code in "individual" boxes that could be moved/placed with xalign and yalign commands 90% of my problems would be gone directly! :giggle:

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Here are several samples of the possibilities... then you just have to add xalign/yalign (and xmaximum/ymaximum if necessary) in each option.

I also have a lot of problems, and I always end up doing a lot of tests... so don't pay too much attention to me, but maybe this would help you:
Code:
sceen test1:
     fixed:
          xalign 0.5
          yaligh 0.5
          xmaximum 400
          ymaximum 200

vbox:

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
mgomez0077 is right, there is also an example on the renpy wiki:

Python:
screen ask_are_you_sure:
    fixed:
         text "Are you sure?" xalign 0.5 yalign 0.3
         textbutton "Yes" xalign 0.33 yalign 0.5 action Return(True)
         textbutton "No" xalign 0.66 yalign 0.5 action Return(False)

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
More basically, the approach here is the same than for CSS.

You've screen statements that create "boxes", and so can be moved in the same time that their content, whatever it is. And you've statements that are "inline", totally independent of everything, and that can be placed wherever in a "box".
Alas, the doc don't class them like this, not even have a "type: box" line to help. You need to read the explanation for each screen statement, and understand by this if it's a box or an inline statement.

When you want to position the content of your screen, the most used statements are :
  • which is a generic box and offer the more possibilities ;
  • and which are more limited in what they offer, but permit to order the content, either vertically or horizontally ;
    Code:
    screen whatever():
        vbox:
            hbox:
                text "this is"
                text "horizontally aligned" 
            text "this is bellow the previous line"
  • where everything inside share the exact same origin, useful for superposition ;
    Code:
    screen whatever():
        fixed:
            bar value myBarValue range 10
            text "This text is over the bar and can describe it"
  • where everything inside will be given an amount of space equivalent to the biggest one.
    Code:
    screen whatever():
        vbox:
            grid 3 1:
                vbox:
                    text "This is the first box."
                    text "It will be on the left of the screen."
                vbox:
                    text "middle box"
                    text "small"
                vbox:
                    text "Finally the last box is a really big one, bigger than the two other."
                    text "It's the box that will define the size"
                    text "of all the other boxes"
                    text "but only for this 'grid' box."
            text "This is bellow everything"

the66

beware, the germans are cumming
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jan 27, 2017
but keep in mind, if you're using a vpgrid, the element size is determined by the 1st element and not the biggest.