Filling space with fake people in render ?

Torontota

Mar 2, 2018
Hi guys, im actually making a scene who need a lot a people (a classroom), i would like to add something like totally black character you know like stick man but realistic, how can i do that ?
Or if you have suggestion for better idea im all ears !

thanks for your time, take care :)

probably_dave

Jun 3, 2017
Hi MeMysellf,

There are a few different ways (flat pictures, HDRI etc) however, I just did a quick test using a basic model and multiple instances of that model. I'm assuming you're using Daz3d. If not, I don't know if the concepts below would apply, but they could still help.

I got the below results:
Example_Classroom.png
Example_Classroom_2.png

I stopped both renders after 5 minutes (~500 iterations). The one with clothes had a lower percentage completed (20% vs 25%).

I did this as follows:
  • Added the Classroom environment
  • Added a new figure, original Genesis model (I used the female one)
  • With the model selected go to the surfaces tab, Editor and select a basic shader (I used a simple consistent fabric shader)
  • Select the pose for the figure (chose a sitting on)
  • Optional, you can add clothes if you wish as per the second image, but again, try to stick to original Genesis items and simple shaders
  • With the Genesis model selected, click Create > New Node Instances. I selected 10.
  • Move and rotate each into the correct place. You cannot change the pose or outfits, but you can still rotate. Try and avoid having two at the exact same rotation (like the two at the front). Ideally rotate them in opposite direction so it becomes less obvious they are clones.
  • Setup the camera so it's using Depth of Field and make sure your characters are out of the field area (this is not necessary, but will blur the models so it's less obvious they are low quality
I hope this helps!

I also decided to go a bit crazy and create 100 instances (so the scene had 111 people in total). It did go a bit slower, only getting up to 15% after 5 mins, but memory consumption was the same.
Example_Classroom_3.png

I've included the Iray summary below so you can see the memory usage etc

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Torontota

Mar 2, 2018
Wow, thanks you so much, i don't know what to said than im sorry to bothering you and thanks you that's perfect !

probably_dave

Jun 3, 2017
I read somewhere that instances can be posed. Is that not true?
As far as I'm aware, that's not true. An instance needs to share the same geometry and surfaces as the original it was based on.
For human models, changing the pose changes the geometry so a Duplicate will be needed rather than a Instance. A Duplicate is basically a copy and paste of the original model and you can change anything independent of the original.

For Instances, the parts that you can change are Scale, Position and Rotation for the full model. As instances are usually used to fill a scene with inanimate objects (trees being the most common), this might be what was being referred to by 'posing' as usually, these are the only things you can change for inanimate objects. When using non-human models, it's much easier to trick the viewer that they are different models by using these three parameters alone.

Reactions: 31971207