Finding the game script in a Ren'Py game

Discontented

Mar 19, 2018
Let me preface by saying I'm extremely new to this kind of thing.

There's a Ren'Py game I found here that I kinda like, but the grammar in it is just eyeball-gratingly awful (English does not seem to be the dev's first, second, or third language) and I'm trying to figure out how to edit the character dialogue in it to clean it up. Problem is, for the life of me I cannot figure out where in the folder the script is (despite there being half a dozen files with 'script' in the name, all of which are jumbled nonsense when opened in Notepad++). And obviously what tool(s) I would need to edit it. Most games with this engine seem to have almost identical game folders, so I thought I'd just ask here for future reference if this were to be a relatively routine and/or easy modification.

Sorry if this has been covered before, couldn't really find anything besides guides on how to make these games, which is far beyond what I want to do here.

fitgirlbestgirl

Jul 27, 2017
The standard location would be script.rpy in the /game subfolder. But the script can be called anything and placed anywhere. Lots of games split their script up into multiple files, so you'll just have to look around. .rpy files can be just opened with Notepad or any text editor really.

Marcibx

May 5, 2018
The games, as they are distributed, are not editable because the devs create a version of it for distribution = easy play, no edit.

You can try the Unren mod to turn the game back into the editable format and do the changes there (you will need as well to edit the editable version)