Fitting a new face texture to a daz3d face

Warlord_Pipsqueak

Feb 2, 2019
Allright, so I've decided to make a Life is Strange adult game (in the long run), but to get the best results, lighting, posing and prop-wise, I've decided i want to use the characters in Daz3d (Something I'm already somewhat familiar with.)
There are several LIS models available, and trust me, I plan on using them, but i need some other ones. I've already figured out how to make an appropriately modified mesh for my first test-character, but I'm struggling a little with the textures. The "Painted" style of LIS is making it... tricky to do by hand.

What would be the best approach to turn the LIS texture shape into a shape that can be used for Daz3d? (Crude image included for context)

nowdomagic.jpg

If anyone has any experience, I could really use some help.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
The best way is using a 3D texture painting program, like substaince painter (one i have been using its really straight forward). You would export your character from DAZ as an OBJ and just load that in Substaince painter. Paint the face on the model and then export the textures from substaince painter. Then replace the existing ones in DAZ with your new ones.

You could try doing it in photoshop or GIMP but its a bit of an hassle. If your going this route I would find the DAZ textures your character currently is using and use that as an underlayer. Then try morphing your new face to the existing ones so all the right parts overlap. Depending on how different the DAZ texture is compared to your current texture it could be fairly easy and quick, or a complete nightmare.

PSTEVENS2000

Jan 22, 2020
I would just get your result from DAZ into Blender, import the textures LIS version, align them on top of each other, ensure the LIS version is over the top (bigger) than the DAZ version - move verts on the LIS version outwards along their normal with proportional editing on for this. Finally apply a shrinkwrap modifier to the LIS one, apply it and bake the texture.

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
I use PSTEVENS2000 's method alot for vam stuff and other things, and it works great!

Another option is to use a software like Facegen :

https://f95zone.to/threads/facegen-artist-pro-3-8-g-g2-g3-g8-g8-1.9111/

It creates facial morphs, and textures, based on pictures you provide. You need well lit, high resolution front face screenshot (or a good one), and profile shot (one side works, you can mirror it in photoshop/gimp and you get the other side). And don't worry about the eyes.
Then run the Facegen prog, mark the spots and follow the procedure etc, then it will prompt to "Create from photo(s)".
Make sure you tick "Only use points from profile photo(s)". That way you only really need a good front face picture/screenshot.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Once you click, give it a moment, and it will generate the face. Now go to "File", and directly under it, "Export" (I usually save the faces before I export, but not necessary) and once there, you can select where you want it to export the morph and textures.
It will recognise your Daz database, so it is very handy, also it is not super invasive (only one morph), but it is best to have a dedicated database for facegens (or a temp database for messing around in daz), it makes it easier to find the files later on and get rid of the morphs/textures you don't want.
Anyway, once you select the genesis base and folders (notice the "Parameter group" and "Parameter name" settings, those are the group and name of the morph, I don't change the group, but I give the morph a name that it will display in Daz if I decide to keep it, more on that later), scroll down and click "Export", and there you go, navigate to the database folder, then "Runtime", "Textures", "Facegen", and you'll find your textures. Now off to photoshop/gimp/etc if you need to edit them a bit.
The good thing about it is that the textures blend together, you'll get legs, arms, torso and face, even eyes etc, but those you can replace with better ones (eyes don't come out good from Facegen). But the 4 major ones you get are based on your front face picture, skin tone-wise.
You also get a facial morph, but I didnt focus on it in this mini-guide, but it will be in the database folder, then "data", "daz 3d", "genesis x" (x beeing the number), "male" or "female", "morphs", "facegen". Delete the morph if you don't want it, so it won't add to your ram usage, or use it if you like it. Up to you.

Finally, you can also edit the front face picture/screenshot before doing this process, if it has too many shadows/highlights, etc. Make it as uniform as possible before doing this process, otherwise you may do it a few times. And editing the final face texture could be tricky without messing the seams.

In the end, it's just another way to do it. I just love that this program spits out the textures for me based on a face picture/screenshot, I use it alot.

Last edited: