Forehead Noise from Hair

V-Ten

Jul 31, 2019
Need some help with what to do when you add a hair to a figure and it creates noise on the figures forehead.

Attached is a Gen3 hair applied to a Gen3 figure (so the hair should fit fine as it's created for the correct Gen). I assume the noise is texture from the hair clipping through the head? Do I need to adjust the hair smaller to "sink" the hair texture into the head?

Ty-Nicole_Magda.png

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
That isn't noise. It's the scalp being too small (iirc). I'm rendering an animation currently so I can't show you where it is, but it's a simple fix:

Select the hair in the scene tab/pane > head over to parameters tab/pane > scroll until you find "Head Size" turn that up to about 5% and then do the same forehead size (3% or so should be fine for that.). If it still persists after that, try playing with the head/forehead width a little bit.

Edit: Here's a with a similar technique if you need more help.

Reactions: V-Ten

V-Ten

Jul 31, 2019
That isn't noise. It's the scalp being too small (iirc). I'm rendering an animation currently so I can't show you where it is, but it's a simple fix:

Select the hair in the scene tab/pane > head over to parameters tab/pane > scroll until you find "Head Size" turn that up to about 5% and then do the same forehead size (3% or so should be fine for that.). If it still persists after that, try playing with the head/forehead width a little bit.

Edit: Here's a with a similar technique if you need more help.
Worked, thanks very much!!

Reactions: MissFortune

Dilly_

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2020
There's another technique I like to use for this that makes it a bit clearer as to which parts of the scalp need correction. Adjusting the sliders only may fix it for one part, but when you try to render from a different angle you still get those annoying black specks.

So select the hair, go to Tool settings > Geometry editor and under surfaces hide everything except "cap". Then go into smooth shaded view:

1.png

You can see where clipping occurs on the entire scalp. Check the neck, head, and cheek area for any clipping. Note you may need to pan or rotate inside the viewport to get them to show up.

Now you can adjust the sliders until all clipping has disappeared. I like to increase the head/neck/etc size slightly more than necessary to give myself some wiggle room in case a specific pose causes the scalp to again have clipping issues. Don't be afraid to crank up those sliders in order to get rid of all clipping, the effect really isn't that noticeable.

2.png

Now you go back to geometry editor, un-hide all the surfaces and save your character and you will hopefully never have to deal with black artifacts ever again (at least on that character lol).

myuhinny

Devoted Member
Sep 7, 2017
One thing that I have used is to select the hair then in the pose tab use the scale slider to scale the hair and head cap up a tiny bit.

Queen Rat

Jul 5, 2021
Firstly, I learned some new DAZ related stuff from the answers in this tread - thanks!

As for me, hair noise was the main reason why I downloaded Gimp in the first place and learned how to use it. Issues like this are easily fixed with an image editor (heal skin), and although resolving it at source is preferable, using Gimp to sort out small issues post-rendering has become a crucial part of my workflow. The slower your machine the more important this becomes, if you can turn out renders in 10 minutes it might be easier to fix in DAZ.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Firstly, I learned some new DAZ related stuff from the answers in this tread - thanks!

As for me, hair noise was the main reason why I downloaded Gimp in the first place and learned how to use it. Issues like this are easily fixed with an image editor (heal skin), and although resolving it at source is preferable, using Gimp to sort out small issues post-rendering has become a crucial part of my workflow. The slower your machine the more important this becomes, if you can turn out renders in 10 minutes it might be easier to fix in DAZ.
Even with a 3080, some stuff is just easier (and sometimes faster) to fix in Photoshop/Gimp (Photoshop is far superior, but I do understand that some don't want to pirate/pay for Adobe. I couldn't live without Camera Raw, Spot Healing, or Content-Aware Fill, personally.) than it is in Daz. Speaking for myself (not sure if other devs do this or not), but I actually do a lot of highlight/shadowing and other outside effects (smoke/fog/mist, lens flares, sometimes godrays, etc.) in post on already decent renders:

wgneg13.png wgneg13.png
awmeet14.png awmeet14.png