popober

Jun 9, 2017
Hmmmm

*cough* *cough*
Again,Toph was a tomboy,not flamboyant.

Funny,never said that.
Though it is true that its mostly associated with homosexuality these days.

Well we agree that its narratively valid,so thats good.
What I dont agree with is eliminating a characters trademark features for the sake of the narrative as the same could have been achieved by retaining a modicum of resemblance.
Retaining more petite features(though "moe" goes too far)wouldnt at all have hurt the base concept or narrative intentions(especially in a series that has shown multiple times that physical stature doesnt equal strength)while offering a stronger recognition to the viewer.
Or to rephrase it,I have a problem with the underlying design philosophy,not the narrative reasoning.
In so far I will keep my stance on them having screwed up the design(admittedly my initial reaction was exaggerated for comedic purposes).
"Tending to attract attention because of their exuberance, confidence, and stylishness."
Hmm. 2 out of 3. And when did *cough cough* those two become mutually exclusive? Wait, why am I debating this? This is irrelevant.

What? The narrative determines how a character's features changes. The narrative determines everything. That's why it's called the "narrative." Toph had to embody the best form of outward authority she could, in circumstances where looking imposing is pretty much required. You'd think being petite would help deal with career criminals when she has to settle things as fast and with as little violence as possible?

Maybe it's possible she could have retained some degree of apparent physical frailty into adulthood, and it would've shown if she wasn't in a profession where such things are detrimental.

And what are you tralking about again? The series has shown multiple times that physical stature does equate strength to a degree:
Bumi looks like any old dude when covered, but turned out to be incredibly buff.

Iroh went from fat to fit when training for his prison escape.

The Kyoshi Warriors' WHOLE FIGHTING STYLE is about making up for the strength they lack against bigger opponents.

Toph is the ONLY definite example of physical stature having an extreme disconnect with strength in the series, which is what made her such a great character.

Did you ever even Avatar, man? I will repeat that not liking the design is fine, but wrongly criticizing it's supposed misplacement is wrong.

Last edited:

Saraf

Mar 16, 2018
Hmm. 2 out of 3. And when did *cough cough* those two become mutually exclusive? Wait, why am I debating this? This is irrelevant.
Adherence to timely fashion trends is an integral part of the describtor.
2 out of 3 is most certainly not enough.

What? The narrative determines how a character's features changes. The narrative determines everything. That's why it's called the "narrative." Toph had to embody the best form of outward authority she could, in circumstances where looking imposing is pretty much required. You'd think being petite would help deal with career criminals when she has to settle things as fast and with as little violence as possible?
No,the artist determines how a characters features changes.
A narrative dictates the direction,not the degree.
A good artist will keep the narrative as a anchoring point while trying to keep the design as recognizable as possible which this one fails at.
Also...imposing?
Really?Somehow I doubt that was a bullet point for our bishie here.

Maybe it's possible she could have retained some degree of apparent physical frailty into adulthood, and it would've shown if she wasn't in a profession where such things are detrimental.
I think you are having the wrong picture of what Im asking for.
Im talking about a smaller(but toned)build and more feminine facial features.
Not for Toph to turn into an anorexic wallflower that can barely carry her own weight.

And what are you tralking about again? The series has shown multiple times that physical stature does equate strength to a degree:
[...]
Toph is the ONLY definite example of physical stature having an extreme disconnect with strength in the series, which is what made her such a great character.
Bending is based on chi which in turn is partly based on fitness,not pure muscle mass(otherwise our child protagonists would be squashed by any adult,as is the case in real life).
I never bemoaned Toph being fit but to what degree they took that idea.

Did you ever even Avatar, man? I will repeat that not liking the design is fine, but wrongly criticizing it's supposed misplacement is wrong.
Why yes,I [insert whatever you wanted to ask here] Avatar,thank you for asking.
I already stated my initial outright dismissal as being for comedic purpose and even elaborated what my problem with the design is,despite agreeing on its validity,so I dont really know why you are still under the impression that I consider it "misplaced".
I consider it bad(or in your words "not liking the design")and I think I repeated that quite a few times by now.
If your problem on the other hand is that I consider retaining some petite features while still achieving her narrative goals as a possibility we will have to agree to disagree because I can tell you that opinion isnt going to change.

popober

Jun 9, 2017
Adherence to timely fashion trends is an integral part of the describtor.
2 out of 3 is most certainly not enough.
Nooooope. That has never been a requirement. 2 out of 3 is plenty. You're thinking of a DANDY. :ROFLMAO:

No,the artist determines-.
Noope again.

The artist only creates a representation of what the narrative dictates; direction, degree and all. The artist can make a character as old or fat as they want, but it still won't work if it won't fit the narrative. The narrative dictated that Toph needed to believably look like an actual adult cop, leading a policing effort in one of the most important and chaotic places in the world.

And again, she's a cop. Being imposing is a requirement of the job, and she's done the best she can her genetics will allow.

I think you are having the wrong picture of what Im asking for.
Im talking about a smaller(but toned)build and more feminine facial features.
Not for Toph to turn into an anorexic wallflower that can barely carry her own weight.
Wut? Her features are still plenty feminine. She just has the bearing and stature expected of someone taking their job as the leader of a newly formed police force of a newly founded city seriously. The only reason you're complaining is because you're comparing her 40-year-old ADULT body to her TWELVE-year-old version.

Bending is based on chi which in turn is partly based on fitness,not pure muscle mass(otherwise our child protagonists would be squashed by any adult,as is the case in real life).
I never bemoaned Toph being fit but to what degree they took that idea.
No, you claimed the series showed that physical stature does not equate strength so I brought up examples proving that wrong. (NVM that the Kyoshi Warriors weren't benders :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)

My point is the relation of physical stature to martial prowess; Toph was the SOLE concrete example of an unassuming form belying great strength, but that was only because she was TWELVE.

Fact is, the series still agrees that being a strong bender/martial artist will still be outwardly reflected. For Toph, it was not apparent when she was TWELVE, but she eventually grew into it.

Doesn't seem like you did, sorry.

My problem is you claiming that her adult design violates her whole "character concept," a concept detailing a completely different role in a different series mind you, and then attempting to justify it with misrepresented facets of the series.

But I guess that's already been proven enough. I'm still scared of getting penalized for derailing a thread.

Saraf

Mar 16, 2018
I'm still scared of getting penalized for derailing a thread.
True and I would rather not risk the ire of a disgruntled mod over something like this.
I will open up a private conversation and we can keep going there if you are so inclined.

Apr 13, 2018
I download 0.8.2b now and according to the chang log I can go to the City street and unlock some shit from asami (blackmail) but I still stuck at Korra 80 resistance and I cant do something about it. so how do I meet sami and unlock the City street and the avatar statue and move on from here.

WatsonFuqs

Sep 9, 2018
How do I continue with Jinora? I talked to her about her feelings and chose the I'll think about them option or whatever. Since then talking to her just makes her say shes watching the fish. Also was it a mistake to buy the watch?

Josh Spicer

Sep 19, 2018
How do I continue with Jinora? I talked to her about her feelings and chose the I'll think about them option or whatever. Since then talking to her just makes her say shes watching the fish. Also was it a mistake to buy the watch?
Don't know about the watch, but right now that's it. The last Jinora content at the moment is telling her about The Talk and then her walking in her mommy and daddy later that day.

WatsonFuqs

Sep 9, 2018
Don't know about the watch, but right now that's it. The last Jinora content at the moment is telling her about The Talk and then her walking in her mommy and daddy later that day.
Oh, okay. The changelog just made it seem like there was a lot more to do with her

D

Deleted member 43554

I can´t get the Jinora teasing content to trigger after I have had the "talk" and gotten blow job from Pema?

buhbert

Nov 8, 2018
My Spinner Level is 12, Shady has nothing new to sell (already got and used airbending scroll 1) there is nothing new happening.
Im fighting the Arena, searching every Spot, Korras defense only gets down to 95. Is my game bugged?

GAB

Salty Montrealer
Donor
May 10, 2017
mmmh I think I cheated too hard in Book 4
what are the requirements to find the Amon andwhat are korra stats for the first scene with wearing the mask?

4.50 star(s) 268 Votes