Ragnar

Super User
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
To be clear, I'm only planning a one-month hiatus. So, I'll be away, but not for long. But, the goal is to make Chapter 10 kind of a satisfying break point/soft ending. Some things get wrapped up, while some new developments are teased. That's why I kept pushing my hiatus/vacation back - I really wanted to pause things on kind of a cool moment, and I always wanted the events of Chapter 10 to be that moment.

Speaking of soft endings, the big goal for next year is to wrap up Season One, and get it ready for Steam distribution. That means polishing up some rough spots (mostly in Chapters 2 & 3), adding music/SFX, adding better animations, etc. That's a few chapters away. But, the plan is to end things in a place where it's not the end, but it could be an end. Like, if I got hit by a truck after Season One, people could say, "Well, it sucks we never got real closure on some of those plot threads, but what we got is still pretty satisfying."

Please note this isn't an implication that I plan to get hit by a truck, or walk away from the game after Season One's completion. I have every intention of finishing the story as I envisioned it, which likely means another 10-12 chapters for Season Two.
What are you planning to releae on Steam? Friends in Need or Friends Indeed?
It just that I remember the shitstorm of that meme game Rape Day :KEK:

Apr 1, 2023
Steam is okay with games with rape in them, the big red flag is anyone that might be underage or look underage. The part where it asks you how old some characters are would likely be a huge no-go.

Machete

Engaged Member
Apr 7, 2020
Steam is okay with games with rape in them, the big red flag is anyone that might be underage or look underage. The part where it asks you how old some characters are would likely be a huge no-go.
Yep, better have the young LIs be all officially 18. I think the age option has been removed for a while. If i was Neon Ghost i would leave the variable there for modders eventually.

Reactions: Green83rry

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
She looks young but not too young to be 18. It could be her 18 and Brittani 19. The other girls are all clearly full adults.
Yes, but there is one reviewer over there who is particularly strict I have seen games with similar looking characters get refused before.

I hope everything works out of course because this game deservers to be played by as many people as possible and I'm being a bit selfish here, but I want this in my library so fucking bad.

Machete

Engaged Member
Apr 7, 2020
Yes, but there is one reviewer over there who is particularly strict I have seen games with similar looking characters get refused before.

I hope everything works out of course because this game deservers to be played by as many people as possible and I'm being a bit selfish here, but I want this in my library so fucking bad.
Well, there is not so much Gabby content overall. Since reworks will happen NG could rework the model or cut her from the game. Not a big lose.

NewTricks

Forum Fanatic
Nov 1, 2017
To be clear, I'm only planning a one-month hiatus. So, I'll be away, but not for long. But, the goal is to make Chapter 10 kind of a satisfying break point/soft ending. Some things get wrapped up, while some new developments are teased. That's why I kept pushing my hiatus/vacation back - I really wanted to pause things on kind of a cool moment, and I always wanted the events of Chapter 10 to be that moment.

Speaking of soft endings, the big goal for next year is to wrap up Season One, and get it ready for Steam distribution. That means polishing up some rough spots (mostly in Chapters 2 & 3), adding music/SFX, adding better animations, etc. That's a few chapters away. But, the plan is to end things in a place where it's not the end, but it could be an end. Like, if I got hit by a truck after Season One, people could say, "Well, it sucks we never got real closure on some of those plot threads, but what we got is still pretty satisfying."

Please note this isn't an implication that I plan to get hit by a truck, or walk away from the game after Season One's completion. I have every intention of finishing the story as I envisioned it, which likely means another 10-12 chapters for Season Two.
Everybody needs a break sometime. You've been pretty reliable up to this point. Remember to look both ways before you cross the street!

NeonGhosts

Game Developer
Mar 20, 2019
So this mean you 1 month break is gonna be after chapter 10 instead of after the chapter 1 rework? Just curious you deserve the break.
Correct. Chapter 10 > Hiatus > Chapter 1 Rework > Chapter 11 > Chapter 12 > Steam Release.

That's the plan, anyways!

If you get hit by a truck instead of making a VN you will be starring in one.
No Rollbacks in This Ren'Py: I Became an NPC in My Own Game When I Was Pancake'd by a Dumptruck!

are we near update ? or still 1 or 2 month ?
Shooting for a release in late September. After asking my patrons, all but one person said they'd rather have a larger update later, than a smaller one sooner. So, I'm deferring to my supporters on this one. I also posted a little state-of-things update in my Sneak Peek post yesterday with more info, and I'll be reiterating it today in my Dev Update. But, the tldr version is that while I have enough to put out a Part One with 600+ renders. But, when I put out a release I tend to take my foot off the gas for a week or two, while I do bug-fixes, etc. I'd rather just keep pushing on and try to get it all out ASAP.

But, if I find myself in the third week of September and realizing I still need to do a huge chunk of stuff, I may just throw my hands up and put out what I have, doing a Part One/Part Two release. It'll be four months since the last release in September, and I really try not to exceed four months between releases.

As always though, it's subject to change. I'll keep everyone updated, as I work through it.

I think the problem with Rape Day was that it was intentional controversy-bait, which got exactly the kind of attention it was looking for. In my experience, Steam is okay with certain taboo subjects, so long as it's being done in service of a story.

That said - Steam is potentially a giant payday for me. So, I'm not going to do anything to screw it up. I'm not sure what the release will ultimately look like, but I plan to still call it Friends in Need.

I could:
  • do a 'full' version but all the ero scenes fade to black, which are restored via patch. That'd let me sell it in certain markets like Germany and China.
  • do a 'dark vanilla' version that keeps the corruption route but nixes the dark route, unless re-enabled with a content patch. This would retain the moral choice aspect of the game, while moving some of the more onerous content out of sight.
  • prune out certain cast members' content on a case by case basis.
Like, I plan to tweak Gabby's story a little bit in the Chapter One rework, so we see her high school graduation photos, and stuff like her imminent college plans are more directly addressed. But, if I'm preparing to launch on Steam and thinking, "Fuuuuuuck, do I really want to risk tens of thousands of dollars on including Gabby?" Well, now she's a patch character.

Likewise, Mason's content may run afoul of certain content guidelines re: hate speech, etc. Does it matter that my intention is to paint Mason in a sympathetic light? Not really! So, some of Mason's routes could be excised and restored via patch.

But, that's all stuff to worry about later.

Everybody needs a break sometime. You've been pretty reliable up to this point. Remember to look both ways before you cross the street!
Appreciate it! I'll be honest, I've been running on empty all year, and I think it shows. :'D

And hey, I see you've launched your Patreon! Congrats, I've been looking forward to seeing what you come up with, ever since you mentioned you were developing a game. Quick piece of advice? Ditch the $1 tier, and make the lowest tier $3. After fees and taxes, you'll get basically none of that dollar per supporter. Even with my $2 tier, my cut is very slim.

Plus? If you have twenty people each paying you $3 or $1, the impact to their finances is minimal. But, the difference for you between getting $20 a month or $60 a month? That's substantial. Food for thought!

NeonGhosts

Game Developer
Mar 20, 2019
Will Chapter 12 be the conclusion of the story? Is a GOG release planned?
I have loose plans for Chapter 12 to be the end of Season One, yes. But, plans change, and if I realize I need a little more space to bring it to a satisfying conclusion, I'll adjust my plans. I kind of want to end Season One with most characters being pretty firmly set in their opinions of you. That'd also make Season Two a little easier, because there'd be a bit less wiggling back and forth between paths.

I'm not sure what a GOG release is, but I found a DRM-free game site by that name? If so, yeah, I'll make sure it's available in as many places as will permit its release!

Machete

Engaged Member
Apr 7, 2020
I'm not sure what a GOG release is, but I found a DRM-free game site by that name? If so, yeah, I'll make sure it's available in as many places as will permit its release!
Isn't GOG like 'Good Old Games', when they republish old and even abandonware games with some makeup restyle at the price of new games?

TigerWolfe

Engaged Member
Oct 19, 2022
Isn't GOG like 'Good Old Games', when they republish old and even abandonware games with some makeup restyle at the price of new games?
It started as that, although the prices for the old/abandoned stuff is pretty cheap. But they've since just branched out to being a DRM free storefront, so new games are released at normal new game price but sans DRM, they do still find and update abandon ware though.

Reactions: Machete

Skrotum

Apr 12, 2020
I found a DRM-free game site by that name?
You likely found the right thing. It is a Polish game distribution platform related to the Witcher series. They also have games with on it.

Good Old Games
That is what they called themselves in the past. They dropped it, when they did widen their catalog current games. They still only do DRM-free games.

Reactions: armond and Machete

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017
I need Isabella route please
don't think that is going to happen , beyond a fuck here and there. Here is something Neon posted 2 or so days ago.

"As for main/secondary.. It's really just about the depth/level of interactivity the girls will have in the story. A character like Wren (Ashe's friend) could have sex scenes, and scenes might change based on the player's decisions. But, I don't see her as really integral to the narrative, or as having a relationship with Guy, independent of Ashe.

Isabella is kind of in the same situation. She's an interesting character, and I think a lot could be done with her. But, I just don't really see her as having a love arc, or even having a ton of impact on the story, outside of Brittani's path."

Reactions: CDWKING1887

CDWKING1887

Dec 16, 2020
don't think that is going to happen , beyond a fuck here and there. Here is something Neon posted 2 or so days ago.

"As for main/secondary.. It's really just about the depth/level of interactivity the girls will have in the story. A character like Wren (Ashe's friend) could have sex scenes, and scenes might change based on the player's decisions. But, I don't see her as really integral to the narrative, or as having a relationship with Guy, independent of Ashe.

Isabella is kind of in the same situation. She's an interesting character, and I think a lot could be done with her. But, I just don't really see her as having a love arc, or even having a ton of impact on the story, outside of Brittani's path."

Thanks its understandable I just hope the scenes are good and not just a throwaway sex scene for Isabella fans. Would like a dark love route though.

4.60 star(s) 200 Votes