fullscreen crops most of the image out in most VNs making the game unplayable

shamelessalt

Jan 5, 2021
usually when I fullscreen in an old VN, it fails to do so properly and leaves me with only the top-left quadrant or so of the game actually displayed on screen, as if it were sized way too large and simply couldn't fit the rest on screen. if the 'fullscreen' setting isn't in this part of the screen, then I can't even change it back, rendering the game unplayable if it remembers the fullscreen setting on launch. the rest of the game window that isn't displayed doesn't seem to exist in any way so I can't interact with anything offscreen. I've tried many things but I can't seem to make this issue go away.

I use a dual-monitor setup, with one 1080p and the other 2160p, though I also have a 2160p tv hooked up that duplicates the display on the 2160p monitor. I suspect this might have something to do with it. Any ideas?

Edit: I found a workaround, anyway; if I set it to extend instead of duplicate and switch my primary monitor to my TV it works. if I use my actual monitor as my primary monitor it does the oversized crop thing, but if I alt-tab out and back in it fixes it. Guess I'll just do that from now on.

Last edited:

AnimeKing314

Giant Perv
Game Developer
Jun 28, 2018
Nice that you found a workaround. Something additional to note if it does get stuck in fullscreen is for any renpy game you can just press f to toggle fullscreen mode. Another possible solution (though not great) would be to just maximize the window instead of using fullscreen

shamelessalt

Jan 5, 2021
yeah the other 'workaround' I was using was to leave it windowed and use window's Magnifier to make it pseudo-fullscreen. ren'py games I never had a problem with (or any other modern fullscreen app for that matter), it's only those assorted VNs from japan (engine: 'other') that give me the issue. still no idea why, but it is what it is.

anyway, thanks for the reply!

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
If you right click on the game's .exe and go to Properties->Compatibility, perhaps some setting there will fix the problem with fullscreen. Like, depending on your Windows version, you should see some setting or other for high DPI scaling that you can test.