Future game dev wondering how to get started

KennethsBrother

Mar 23, 2024
Hey all, I've been interested in making games for my whole life and even dabbled in trying to make some over the past few years, and basically I was wondering how to get my foot in the door of the adult market. I would prefer not to start on my own and maybe if there is a place to help another developer and learn from their process I'd love to know where to go for that. For reference, I've worked in twine, choicescript, godot, renpy, and have taken c++, python, and HTML classes in college so I feel like I have a decent base level knowledge of how to do any programming necessary. Thats pretty much it tho, any tips on how to get started or where to help other developers as like an intern kind of deal would be awesome,

Reactions: hu lover

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Hey all, I've been interested in making games for my whole life and even dabbled in trying to make some over the past few years, and basically I was wondering how to get my foot in the door of the adult market.
Well, what answer do you expect, except "put a foot in the door of the adult market" ?

There's no mystery, no secret receipt, do it and you'll be doing it.
How, in what order, following what process, this is only a question of personal preferences and, globally speaking, every dev that would answer you would tell a different story. Yet all those stories would tell the same thing: I learned what I didn't knew, came up with an idea, then made my game (not necessarily in that order).

Uglyvirgin

Mar 9, 2018
Not to discourage being part of a team or working with others but you might be putting too much value on what it can offer you. I'm not sure what kind of experience you aim to learn but many devs here are hobbyists and students like you. I doubt their workflows or pipelines are up to any industry's standards if they even have any. Referring to it as an adult market that requires "a foot in the door" is being a little too generous in my opinion. Instead of being an apprentice learning from the master it would be more like a group project.

I know you said you prefer not to but I'd encourage you to start your own project to get the ball rolling so in the future you may be able to commission jobs such as art or a writer. This is objectively the better option to progress compared to someone else taking advantage of your skills. Your time is too valuable for the love of Christ do not allow anyone else to reap your rewards. Even a basic knowledge of all those coding languages you mentioned is incredibly desired, you might be overqualified lol.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Instead of being an apprentice learning from the master it would be more like a group project.
Anyway, how could he be an apprentice ?

There's 99% chance that no one in his town is making an adult game. Therefore the team will be a group of people coordinated online. It will not be possible to look over their shoulder to see what they are doing and how they are doing it. And, like you said, they are hobbyists doing this on their free time, so they'll also not have the time for long discussion explaining what they did and how they did it.

This being said, there's devs who have stream session, where people can see them working on their project. There will still be no explanation, but it's what would be the closest to looking over their shoulder to learn how they are working.

Reactions: Uglyvirgin

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
1. Start your own project, don't rely on others. They will not come, it will only be an excuse for you to not do anything.
2. Write something small you can start and finish. Don't be tempted to add more features and scope, the goal of this AVN is to get finished and published. You'll learn a lot along the way.
3. Your next project could be bigger.
4. By now you'll know exactly how to proceed.

Good luck!