Future project with Metahumans

Rell games

May 5, 2020
Hello everyone, hope it is the right place to show off my work, tell a bit about my project and receive some feedback :)

About me
I'm an Unreal Engine developer, learning it whenever I have free time for more than 3 years now. I got a lot of inspiration from this website and decided to bring something new and fresh to the community on my own.

About project
It will be a standard Renpy game, at the start I was thought about using DAZ for renders, like most of the devs on this website, but since my whole goal is to bring something completely fresh that no one else has seen, I decided to use UE4 with Raytraycing and Metahumans. The whole challenge for me was to connect the custom body with Metahuman's head - there is no much information on this topic, so I spent nearly a month figuring this out. As a technical demonstration, I made an animation video attached below, hope you'll like it.

Here are the renders and animation, please let me know what do you guys think.

Alice preview 2.png Alice preview 1.jpg Alice preview 4.png

Also, if you want to know more about the project in the future, I have my where I'll publish my dev logs. For people that are more into Patreon - there is no need for you to check my page occasionally. You'll receive email notifications about every new update so your time on the platform will be minimal. A free tier is available, so everyone is welcome!)

Rell games

May 5, 2020
wow!
Where did you get information about it?
Just figured this out at some point after a lot of failing attempts. The whole process of adjusting the body to the head can take up to a week, it is a very slow process, unfortunately. The quickest way is to hide the neckline with clothes, there is a lot of info on YT on how to do it.

Natasha2567

Oct 28, 2021
Your innovative thinking is encouraging.......have also wanted to create a VN for awhile but getting the right software that hasn't been overused to break the cycle has been quite a problem. For the last 5 years ive used most of the 3d softwares and are mostly comfortable with Maya so i've decided to use that which will be quite a ton of work creating characters from scratch but hopefully will be worth it.

Rell games

May 5, 2020
Would really love to see how far u are with the project cos this is impressive stuff
Thank you, I'm glad that my work made such a great impression! Things go slower than I expected because I was busy with my main job pretty much the whole year. But even with a slower tempo, I'm very proud of the quality of renders I'm getting right now. I think I need at least a month or two to release the first version to the public.
Recently I released a few previews, you can see them . My page has a free subscription, so there's no need to pay for anything, you'll be able to see most of the previews and you'll receive notification by email once the game is available.

Your innovative thinking is encouraging.......have also wanted to create a VN for awhile but getting the right software that hasn't been overused to break the cycle has been quite a problem. For the last 5 years ive used most of the 3d softwares and are mostly comfortable with Maya so i've decided to use that which will be quite a ton of work creating characters from scratch but hopefully will be worth it.
Maya is a great choice, wish you luck with your future VN! With programs such as Blender or Maya, I think the most important is to find your own unique style, that will distinguish you from all other devs out there. A game called Light of my life is a great example of that.

bladors

Apr 13, 2020
Really cool !
Do you think create a free or paid plugin for unreal engine, for others projects ?

Last edited:

Rell games

May 5, 2020
Really cool !
Do you think create a free or paid plugin for unreal engine, for others projects ?
I don't think it is possible to create a button that automatically will tie up MH head with a body. The process behind it is very complex, requiring basic knowledge of 3D, a bunch of 3rd party software, and a lot of experience in Unreal Engine itself to make it work together. Totally would not recommend this workflow to anyone, unless you really know what you're doing.
Also rendering in UE is a bit of a nightmare, I have 3070 with 8GB of VRAM and since UE is a real-time software it hardly depends on the amount of VRAM you have, sometimes even with 8GB it is barely enough for me to make decent rendering. Although render times and quality you get are absolutely amazing. I managed to render 900 frames of animation in about 20 minutes or so in 2K with raytracing and stuff.