Gambling or tabletop RPG card games? Which genre is better for hentai?

Girm Ork

Game Developer
Aug 15, 2019
Which one do you prefer?
Gambling games are usually more simple and you already knew the rules if it is something popular like blackjack or poker. Of course, gambling games test your luck, not your skills if we are speaking about computer games.
RPG card games have unique rules and those rules could be really difficult. But they don't rely on luck that much. Also, unlike gambling games, they usually have a theme (treasure hunting, magic battles).
I saw some hentai games in both genres. Though, card games are not as popular as hentai pazzles or visual novels.
I wonder, which genre is more suitable for hentai games?

Back

Aug 3, 2017
The "gambling" games, in the way you're describing, are just reskins of classic games with hentai art and visuals. They're no different from light puzzlers (i.e., connect-3, jigsaw) to be rewarded with a piece of art and are generally terribly boring. Typically, I feel that they are either a gateway to get one hooked on something else or are simply a cashgrab. Most players, I feel, will ignore most of these with a slight but noticeable exception with the connect-3 style of games. (Of course, I'm only looking at the digital angle here, and not just pack of real world cards with lewd art -- 'cause a pack of cards aren't games by themselves.)

(Answer) Unique card systems are much better suited for hentai, more profitable, and are more rewarding for the participants even if it's a gimmick. There is a vast swath of games that already exists in the real world in both physical card stock and digital styled tabletop games. These games also run the gamut of simple to confusingly complex. Many are based on the living card model and others can be full RPGs using cards (with varying degrees on how explicit they can be). (Less explicit physical items simply sells better in the real world.) In addition, the push-your-luck mechanic can also be found in many of these different systems / games and aren't simply regulated to those "gambling" games mentioned in the OP.

The living card model is often seen with just the base and possibly an expansion since the games tend to be smaller, niche publications that cannot target the wider mainstream audience due to the adult content matter; and complex RPGs-esque games are even more limited. In the digital realm, this is much, much easier to pull off and there are many, many more games that are found. That's because it's cheaper to do than physical counterparts and provides more sale opportunities. For instance, the logistics of just finding partners to produce, store, transport, and sell will eat into any kind of profits (if the game sells at all); hence, they tend to be more expensive than other, better games found amongst the others in a store that would carry them. Whereas, a lot of this overhead is removed from the equation when it comes to digital formats especially in the mobile market. **They're more accessible, easier to maintain and produce, and have numerous ways of generating income for the game's holders.** In regards to the latter, there are many ways how that's done such as incorporating a gacha mechanic or paying for mini-DLCs for additional content. It's easy to see why there's an explosion of content on the digital front, and why unique systems are better suited for hentai games than simple gambling games as the way it's described here.

Hope that helps. As always, stay safe out there!

Girm Ork

Game Developer
Aug 15, 2019
Thank you for the answer, Back.
I'll agree that an average card battler game is much more interesting than an average bj/poker game.

They're no different from light puzzlers (i.e., connect-3, jigsaw) to be rewarded with a piece of art and are generally terribly boring.
But I think that connect-3 or jigsaw games are much more popular and most people don't consider them as boring. You can search Steam games by tags to see it:

Reactions: Back

Back

Aug 3, 2017
Yup, you're very welcome. Anytime.

Maybe I should have said generally terribly boring to me? Though most people that I've talked to seem to agree. I don't like those simple, uncovering art types of games. Y'know, those ones where the player solves the puzzle or clears a stage to reveal and be rewarded with a single static image. Now, when you have some meat on the game, then it's different matter altogether. For example, I enjoyed connect-3 style HuniePop 'cause there's a story there with an interesting cast of characters with some gameplay. Or, this one particular jigsaw game where I've dumped dozens and dozens hours into it due to the nice music that accompanies it. A nice timewaster, lol. These tend to be exceptions rather than the rule however.

But yes, unique card systems are better suited and more enjoyable outside of VNs and puzzlers for hentai.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I will say, a lot of people hesitate about the card battle element. Love of Magic uses a poker-inspired combat system, and a lot of people bypass the game initially because they're worried it'll be some basic reskin, or because they don't know/like poker :)

1601006456971.png

So there's certainly a perception problem. It's possible I could have bypassed that if I changed the cards to be poker-like but not normal cards (for example making it about putting down gems, but otherwise retaining the same mechanic). Hard to say; in the end having the Poker element is fun, it lets me tell stories on the side.

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
Usually those kind of games work by having cheats built into the progression system.
So it's less about "luck".

Girm Ork

Game Developer
Aug 15, 2019
So there's certainly a perception problem. It's possible I could have bypassed that if I changed the cards to be poker-like but not normal cards (for example making it about putting down gems, but otherwise retaining the same mechanic)
Yeah, I agree. You can easily change the design of your cards to something in a fantasy style and retain the mechanic. Then people perceive the game as a card battler, not a poker game. But people who interested in gambling games would turn away from it...

Usually those kind of games work by having cheats built into the progression system.
So it's less about "luck".
I have a game on Steam, it is called and it is relying on luck because of a blackjack mechanic. Yeah, the system is cheating sometimes to make it easier for the player to win, but when the dealer is drawing 21, it is obviously impossible to win.

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
If you're asking about which one's more likely to be fun without needing a good story, probably the RPG/card game.

Personally, I've never liked gambling against AI opponents. There's usually no real stakes or strategy involved. Slots is especially boring, since that's 100% RNG, blackjack shares the same problem with slots, but is usually faster, and strip poker oversimplifies the mechanics to 'just don't have the shittiest hand in the room.' I'd hardly call any of these things "gambling." The only way I'd be willing to play an adult game with gambling as its focus is if it's got a really good story or additional game mechanics to go along with it. The characters need to be likable and engaging and the poker game needs to feel like a way to get to know/interact with them, and not just an income source to buy them gifts or take them out on dates.
Like maybe being super aggressive in your playstyle is attractive to some NPCs and unattractive to others. Maybe some NPCs are willing to 'coach' you only if you're on losing streaks or maybe some only take notice of you if you're actually competent at the game. Maybe some NPCs only take notice if you look wealthy, whereas some will straight up avoid you.
But the problem here is that you'd need to be good at writing and know how to make all that shit work.

If you go the RPG/card game route, all you really need to do is make the game fun. Here's some of my favorites and what I liked about them:
Last Evil was really fun deck building roguelike RPG. Didn't really have a story, but visually stunning and had plenty of animated sex scenes.
News Desk was also really fun, but had a story focus. The corruption mechanic in the story gave you new cards or changed the effect of existing cards.
TF Card Battle is also a good one, despite its simple look and story. You picked a deck theme and the story, though short and linear, is flavored to reflect your chosen theme.

Reactions: Girm Ork