Game design software

andjor0

Dec 25, 2018
Hi,
I am trying to create a game on renpy and i am having problems finding a good design software.
it will be helpful if it will contain a way to save actors, scenes, and parameters.
but most important i need something with a flow chart.

Hentai_Kishi

Game Developer
Jul 24, 2018
Hi,
I am trying to create a game on renpy and i am having problems finding a good design software.
it will be helpful if it will contain a way to save actors, scenes, and parameters.
but most important i need something with a flow chart.
Well, you have to be more specific about what you want, what kind of design software? I'm afraid I didn't understand what you meant by saving actors, scenes and parameters since ren'py has tools that allow you to do so.

As for the flowchart, I recommended a program to another user a while ago called yEd Graph Editor, look it up on YouTube. It's simple and free, it will help you keep track of the routes you wish to make on your game.

Reactions: andjor0 and Cirro84

andjor0

Dec 25, 2018
thank you for the suggestions, it looks pretty nice.
I was just wondering because most of the games here are renpy based.
That there may be some kind of one stop shop application to help maintain the games from the developer standpoint.
some kind of tool that will help me keep track of various game details characters, flags, variables and maybe even scene flow like you suggested.

HiEv

Sep 1, 2017
I don't know about the rest, but I do know that some Ren'py developers the game ahead of time. If you use that, I'd recommend using (you can grab the latest version of from that link, and here are ).

Jun 29, 2018
If you are looking for a professional tool !? for design, dialogue and game-flow and don't mind paying for it I can recommend articy:draft 3
Thanks for the heads up, this is exactly what I've been looking for. I create a ton of notes for my characters and story and have a big messy collection of spreadsheets and text files that I've been trying to sort though. This seems perfect to have a single place to organize all that data and track the progression of my story.

TowerCrow

Donor
Nov 22, 2018
There's an app for Unity in development called Storyteller. It's probably too early to get it yet but soon enough it should be a competitive alternative to Articy:draft. Especially in the pricing department.

Reactions: Cirro84

Cirro84

Resident Evil-doer, part-time Candyman
Dec 24, 2016
... I can recommend articy:draft 3.
Interesting software indeed. Now I need to move to KAZ. Or to ARG, just in case.
...Seriously, why do they think e.g. people in Europe print money themselves? meh... seems half the world - even the leafs! - get it cheaper. :confused:
If one can earn already money I'd say buy it instantly if you need it. But as long as new devs are still struggling to make a buck payware can be such a drawback. It sums up: here an app, there a tool, a new piece of hardware...

Hope you find the right app combo @andjor0, Ren'Py is definitely a good platform to start with. It also doesn't hurt to ask devs of games you liked about their workflow, what progs they had used in the past, and would recommend, or not use again, and why. So you get an idea how you can create sth like your favorites with such apps (in theory, you may still choose a specific prog over some others recommended e.g. because it's easier to learn or work with.).

Good luck, and don't forget to keep us updated on the progress when you get serious. ;)

Reactions: andjor0

lancelotdulak

Nov 7, 2018
You might consider writing software.
I dont think many professional creators actually use writing software because it takes the art out of writing quickly
But for adult and especially renpy games it's probably perfect.

Reactions: Cirro84 and andjor0

MrBree

Jun 9, 2017
No idea if this is any good, but I've stumbled across something called " " which claims to provide game design and project management. Might be worth checking out.

Reactions: lancelotdulak