Game fails to launch on Linux

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
Hi, I'm having a problem with this game I just downloaded ( ). It stops responding before even reaching the main menu. I tried the previous version uploaded as well, and it had the same problem. I get the same problem if I try to run the Windows version using Wine. This is the first Ren'Py game I've ever had this problem with, every other one I've tried has worked just fine. Even if I pull the game folder and repack it with the Ren'Py SDK, I still get the same. Is there, I don't know, something I can put in the options.rpy to get more verbose logs? Because the log file doesn't show anything unusual that I can see. Or anything else I can try to fix this?

Palanto

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2017
Which version did you take? The original or the compressed one? (Just making sure I download the right version to check if it's something on your end or if it's something with the game itself)

Palanto

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2017
Downloaded the full version, works fine for me.... check this page and try the renderer settings:

If that doesn't work I don't know what the reason is either ;) At least I know your log.txt isn't complete.... a usual log would look like that (Sorry it's from a different game):

p.S.: The traceback.txt might be more helpful than the logfile though :)

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
The game doesn't even get to the point where I can change the renderer. I haven't touched the log file; that's all the game writes to it. There isn't a traceback; the game doesn't crash, it hangs. I suspect this is some weird interaction between the game and a Linux system, since most people (who are probably using Windows) don't have a problem running it.

Palanto

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2017
That's odd though, shouldn't it work in wine then? X_x I'm currently repackaging it as a linux only version (did you try that before?) And removing all the big image files, so keep the original /game/ folder stuff of the original download and replace all the ren'py files with the archive I'll be uploading in a bit, try if that helps, if not then the only real place to get help for that is the ren'py discord or another linux user who had that problem. I for one can't find anything about it on the internet, but I don't have all the details either (Linux version and so on)....

Edit: Uploaded the linux only version made with ren'py 7.0.0.196 replace all the stuff inside the sistersistersister folder with the one from the archive, in the /game/ folder should only be one overwrite (scripts.rpa) and a new file called script_version.txt everything else is just renpy stuff. Please make sure you don't have some .bak files in the game folder or anything, the creators of the game seem to have made a mess with the files....

If that doesn't work either please ask on the ren'py discord or the lemmasoftforum maybe they can help you better...