Game file size, how much is too much for you?

eXtease

Apr 19, 2021
Hello.

Playing some of the 3D games I've noticed a massive increase in game size due to the inclusion of pre-rendered image and video files.
Some of these games can exceed 20Gb in size.

I am wondering, do you guys have a specific upper limit for a sex game download size, or you can go as much as it is needed if the game is worth your interest?

Uthuriel

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 26, 2021
No limit. I have normal internet.
I use ~ 300GB in traffic per month.

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
It depends on the file hosts that are available. Free MEGA only allows 5GB every, what, 8 hours? 24? Too long either way. nopy is swell, but I've been having issues with downloads on it failing at random. Honestly, speed is not an issue as long as it finishes reliably within a few hours.

Last edited:

famicom9x

Dec 12, 2018
the problem with many games nowaday is they have 8k assets, which make the game is much heavier, since 2015i has been playing game on full hd and dont have a plan to upgrade to 2k or 4k, but the game keep supporting 4 k or 8k and keep increasing size.

Reactions: eXtease

rk-47

Jun 27, 2020
1-3 gb is fine although anything pushing 4-5 is unlikely for me to get, also it depends on the game and its engine, of course unreal engine games will be much much more in filesize compared to unity/renpy/rpgm, it also depends on the completion, if its completed and its 4-5 gb then its worth getting but if its that much on only 0.05 then definitely not

Cryswar

The Profound Dorkness
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
I don't personally care about the actual file size, 100kb or 100 gb, as long as the game is worth it. Koikatsu and waifu sex sim are both 40gb+ on disc and I don't regret either of those, lol.

That said, free mega's download limits make it really hard to download stuff over ~5gb? in a reasonable timeframe, so anything over that size is probably a 'tomorrow' issue.

So yeah. I'm not gonna just say 'fuck that' to a game that's 20+ gb, but unless it looks really good I'll probably be a bit more hesitant to commit all of my Mega download limit to it. If it's just some generic bullshit with 1 decent looking scene, honestly, no, not gonna download 20gb of that.

Reactions: eXtease

Empiric

Throbbing Member
Respected User
Game Developer
Jan 13, 2020
69 gb

If the dev reached that and went over, I'd say he has no business making this fine art anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: Cryswar and eXtease

eXtease

Apr 19, 2021
Wow, I see that we have some real men of culture, not afraid of making some sacrifices for what they enjoy.
So, the size is not a problem as long as the game is worth it, and the file hosting allows it without any penalties.

Good to know. I also think adding animations later on and I was a bit worried about the file size as a single HD render animation was as much as half of the current game size (45 mb) even after compression and conversion.

Reactions: mgtoons

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Good to know. I also think adding animations later on and I was a bit worried about the file size as a single HD render animation was as much as half of the current game size (45 mb) even after compression and conversion.
That's why many dev switched over to webp for images and VP8/9 for videos. There is no need to publish games with png/jpeg renders and h.264 videos anymore.

By doing that you can save up to 50% of the file size.

eXtease

Apr 19, 2021
That's why many dev switched over to webp for images and VP8/9 for videos. There is no need to publish games with png/jpeg renders and h.264 videos anymore.

By doing that you can save up to 50% of the file size.
Good info, I'll sure make good use of it!

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Does anyone even consider splitting large files (say over 4G into parts) ?
No. It's a pain in the ass to upload and maintain them.

Thanks to JDownloader 2 and XDM there aren't any problems to download files bigger than 5 GB.