Game first release (expected playtime?)

CaramelCowboy

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2020
Hey everyone
Is there an 'expected norm' when it comes to playtime for a first release?
I've seen some comments on new games saying it was 'too short' even for a first release so I was wondering what the acceptable playtime should be.

I understand a lot of people also like to see some skin in first releases even if it's not core story related.
I'm just curious about the general playtime people expect for them to think the download was 'worth it'

Sorry if I didn't explain this right :unsure:

Sapha

Sep 28, 2020
I'm sure there are as many opinions as there are people here.
For me though, I'd say "Long enough to make me care about the characters."
If you can manage that in 5 minutes then great. I'll probably come back. If you can't, it needs to be longer.

Reactions: CaramelCowboy

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
It's tricky to answer something like this, simply because there's so much variety in between reading speed, render count, and the type of game/vn/etc. you're making. I'm going to assume you're making a VN here, though.

Showing some skin isn't a requirement for the first release, nobody's going to put you death row if there's no penetration in the first release (whereas, by contast, the first release of my own VN had oral sex, a blowjob, and straight up sex). Some VNs are just slow burners like that. Some teasing, a blue jay, or even just a handjob and heavy petting will do the trick. Do as your story demands, honestly. Forcing sex into a situation where it doesn't belong is something players will call you on. It needs to feel like it comes naturally.

Usually when people say "too short" around here (they have to remember that a lot of these games are made by hobbyists in their free time), it's because there's ten minutes of runtime, a little bit of fooling around and calling it a release. Having a big first release can only help you, not only will it help connect the players to the characters, but it gives you time to develop the story and give said players a better understanding of what's to come. The answer changes per game, and it's genre. See, my VN is a multiple protagonist novel, meaning more renders. I had about 480 or so viewable renders in my first release, which is a lot, but maybe not as many as some. I've never really counted renders while playing someone's VN. It was a good half-hour playthrough for me when I played it after I compiled it, but I also don't read especially quickly.

At the end of the day, it's up to you how long you want it. Just make a real attempt at a good VN/game and do what feels good for you. Because, at the end of the day, you aren't really doing this for anyone other than yourself. It's pointless if you don't enjoy it.

• Red Heart

CaramelCowboy

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2020
Thank you for the responses.
I agree, this question can really have countless 'right' answers. But I'm really grateful for the way these replies were worded

hiya02

Oct 14, 2019
And don't feel forced to insert the notorious "0.1 Bj" scene to your game. That plagues sooo many games/vns and really makes them feel even more unrealistic. Those who want instant h scenes and moan if the 1st release doesn't have any, can always go back to watching filth :LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::giggle:

• Haha

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
You never get a second chance of a first opinion. The first release should be just that, a first release, not a demo, not a proof of concept, a fully playable complete first release. There are devs who rue the fact in hindsight their first release was too short.

shark_inna_hat

Game Developer
Dec 25, 2018
We need a story game that starts with an earthquake and works up to a climax. If you want to show your game is (will be) Good, well - you need to show Something Good.

If your first release is a tech demo (for a well established game engine), story wise has only an exposition dump, art-wise some renders with the same premade assets seen in other games or a few mediocre drawings and finally fap-wise only some nudity (or not even that)... maybe hold back the release for a little longer?

If it takes me 5 minutes to read the description and view the screens, 5 minutes to download, 5 minutes to unpack/install, 5 minutes to wait for the game to load (srsly?), 5 minutes of playing (skipping) and 5 minutes of deleting it after - that's half an hour wasted time for me and I probably won't return to that game for a long time.

Reactions: mickydoo

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I'm just curious about the general playtime people expect for them to think the download was 'worth it'
It's absolutely not a question of playtime, and in a way not a question of content either.

The first release should fulfill those three points :
  1. Establish the story
    Unless it's a pure "play to fap" game, there's a story, and it's what make the player want to continue or not. The first release should pose the base of this story.
    While it be a thriller, or will it be an adventure ? Will it be a slice of life, or a quest to redemption ? All genres are good, just show us what will be the one of this story.
    It should also show us what will be the motive behind this story. Not necessarily the full motive, but if the MC start to investigate something, we have to know why he decided to do it. Be noted that, if it's a good practice to not expose the whole motive of the characters, it's a really bad idea to not expose the whole motive of the MC. It's who the player will be, therefore the player should know everything that is to know.
  2. Introduce the main characters
    You don't have to present all the characters, but if a character will play an important role in the story, it have to be known at the end of the first release.
    Note that "known" doesn't mean "hey, let me present you the bad guy, the one because of who your life is a living hell". No, it can just be a name in a discussion, something like : "Hey, MC, have you heard about Mr G ? Rumors say that he want his point back. We can't let this happen, right ?"
    But if we interact with the character, give us something. Let her know that our sidekick will be our sidekick by example. Same for those who'll try to prevent MC to succeed, they shouldn't be all smile. They don't necessarily have to be real bitches right from the start, but we should already have some hint that they fake to be nice.
    There's an exception to this point, "the traitor". But it's a character really difficult to write correctly (I'm looking at you, Yoshino (Baldur Gate 1)!).
  3. Introduce the main game mechanism
    Will it be a kinetic novel ? Will the player have choice and will those choice play an important role ? Will there be mini games ? Is there a stats system, and how do it modify the story ?
    All this have to be shown in the first release. And I insist on "shown". Do not just explain us what it is and what it do, we need to have a live overview of it.

After, how many time is needed to do all this, it all depend of you and your story.

CaramelCowboy

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2020
It's absolutely not a question of playtime, and in a way not a question of content either.

The first release should fulfill those three points :
  1. Establish the story
    Unless it's a pure "play to fap" game, there's a story, and it's what make the player want to continue or not. The first release should pose the base of this story.
    While it be a thriller, or will it be an adventure ? Will it be a slice of life, or a quest to redemption ? All genres are good, just show us what will be the one of this story.
    It should also show us what will be the motive behind this story. Not necessarily the full motive, but if the MC start to investigate something, we have to know why he decided to do it. Be noted that, if it's a good practice to not expose the whole motive of the characters, it's a really bad idea to not expose the whole motive of the MC. It's who the player will be, therefore the player should know everything that is to know.
  2. Introduce the main characters
    You don't have to present all the characters, but if a character will play an important role in the story, it have to be known at the end of the first release.
    Note that "known" doesn't mean "hey, let me present you the bad guy, the one because of who your life is a living hell". No, it can just be a name in a discussion, something like : "Hey, MC, have you heard about Mr G ? Rumors say that he want his point back. We can't let this happen, right ?"
    But if we interact with the character, give us something. Let her know that our sidekick will be our sidekick by example. Same for those who'll try to prevent MC to succeed, they shouldn't be all smile. They don't necessarily have to be real bitches right from the start, but we should already have some hint that they fake to be nice.
    There's an exception to this point, "the traitor". But it's a character really difficult to write correctly (I'm looking at you, Yoshino (Baldur Gate 1)!).
  3. Introduce the main game mechanism
    Will it be a kinetic novel ? Will the player have choice and will those choice play an important role ? Will there be mini games ? Is there a stats system, and how do it modify the story ?
    All this have to be shown in the first release. And I insist on "shown". Do not just explain us what it is and what it do, we need to have a live overview of it.

After, how many time is needed to do all this, it all depend of you and your story.
Thank you for such a detailed reply. These are really helpful tips and while I had a gist of some of them, I like the way you dove deeper into the subject. It helps beginners like me. I'm making sure my first release will meet all of the criteria mentioned. While it may not be everyones cup of tea, I have a feeling some will find it interesting.

Anyway, I shouldn't be here jinxing it and get back to work so I don't disappear in the void like the fallen devs have. Ty again!

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Anyway, I shouldn't be here jinxing it and get back to work so I don't disappear in the void like the fallen devs have. Ty again!
One thing I didn't said in the comment that inspired you this sentence, but that is also important:

Do not force it. Sometimes you progress more by not working, than by working.
As said the Professor Melinda Varian, "the best programs are the ones written when the programmer is supposed to be working on something else". And I'm convinced that it apply for any other creative processes. Our brain need space to express itself, and if we focus too much on something, at some point we are enclosing it in a place where there isn't enough space.
Don't over do it, in both way. Don't take too many breaks, don't pass too many time working.

This being said, glad to see that I could have helped you, and good luck with your project.