VN Ren'Py Game of Inches [vC1.E2.0] [Remveer]

4.40 star(s) 7 Votes

Woodstock_1983

Sep 16, 2020
Quick math lesson. All - 2 = almost all

So, I guess I needed to add the inference. Lol
You can't seriously tell me that the so called mom and sister aren't hot. Another thing. when you change the relationships to Mom and sister, it should be our mom not her mom.

johnmnf692

Jun 20, 2022
To be clear, I'm not saying every girl that ever appears on screen needs to be with MC or she is a wasted character, this is just discussion and getting my thoughts out about the broader topics so its usefulness may very...

You created an attractive character that you obviously care about, or she wouldn't be in the story, so you want her to be involved but for some reason don't want her to be involved with the Mc. For many players it just feels like an odd choice. Especially in a story that is being set up with a goal of a harem in mind. If she is attractive, you like her and want her in the story, and the players like her and want her with the Mc it seems like the obvious thing would be to make her a love interest and that the worst thing you could do would be to give her to someone else as a love interest.

I also feel like it is a false bifurcation fallacy on the male friend front as well. Either he has someone to chase, or players will get NTR vibes: those are not the only two options on the table. As you stated, those vibes won't go away just because he has someone to chase anyway, especially if she is an on-screen attractive girl that the Mc spends time with too. In fact, him "chasing" someone gives more of those vibes because it makes it feel like he wants a girl and thus in the back of some player's minds the worry will always be there, "If he fails to get some other girl, he could target another girl since he's single and wants a girl." Him being straight, single, and actively chasing girls, actually make the vibes worse for many players and that is even more so when it seems like him chasing a girl has made her unavailable for the Mc when otherwise she could have been.

This is one of the many reasons that the "gay best friend" isn't just a cliché in AVNs but also romance movies and books. Clichés and troupes become a thing because they work, and so people use them. They aren't inherently bad, and this one is there for a rather good reason. The gay best friend is a man that can be a friend to both the male and female characters without any ulterior motive or fear of competition. It dates back to the 80's at least (and even back into antiquity if you consider the GBF to just be a modern evolution of the "eunuch" character troupe) as a storytelling troupe in romance and romance-comedy movies and stories and is used in AVNs for the same reasons it was used there. But like Raziel said, that is a cliché so you might want to avoid it perhaps. Another option is that he has a girlfriend (or even already a wife depending) off screen that we never see or only see in silhouette or using camera tricks and it is clear that he is a one-woman guy. Similar to the dead father cliché that gets lambasted on the forums it isn't unique to AVNs dispite how some people talk around here. The dead father cliché dates back to some of the oldest stories we have in literature. It is one of the quickest story events that forces the main character as a boy to become the main character as a man.

Several games handle both of these issues in different ways.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Since I still haven't played the game (as I said earlier in the thread, I usually wait a couple updates to play new games) I'm not giving any strict advice. I'm just speaking in broad terms about the topics at hand. Hopefully you find a great way to balance your vision for your story and the desires of your target audience and make the best story you can. (y)

I hope you all have enjoyed another JoeTheMc essay, ;)
Personally, as someone who has read your Harem guide and agreed with pretty much everything, I think this is much ado about nothing. There are zero bad vibes from Montez and there is no teasing about his girl being a LI (I literally don't even remember her name). If she was really hot then I could agree with you that she would be wasted, but the reality is that she's mid. I don't really think there's anything wrong with giving the male best friend character an average looking GF.

Juerhullycin

Feb 4, 2024
Personally, as someone who has read your Harem guide and agreed with pretty much everything, I think this is much ado about nothing. There are zero bad vibes from Montez and there is no teasing about his girl being a LI (I literally don't even remember her name). If she was really hot then I could agree with you that she would be wasted, but the reality is that she's mid. I don't really think there's anything wrong with giving the male best friend character an average looking GF.
im okay to compromise, Montez can have her if he, like normal collage age males starts hanging out with her and stops occupying screen time for more important female characters.

johnmnf692

Jun 20, 2022
im okay to compromise, Montez can have her if he, like normal collage age males starts hanging out with her and stops occupying screen time for more important female characters.
He literally did that as soon as she was introduced. Montez goes and hangs out with her and MC immediately starts talking to Jessica.

4.40 star(s) 7 Votes