VN Ren'Py game question.

what kind of game should it be.

• sandbox-free roam

• linear game with choices

Results are only viewable after voting.

reaperentertainment

Game Developer
Nov 11, 2021
What kind of game should it be. I've been thinking of doing a mixture of both. Also, I wanted to see what people would say.

Last edited:

OldMoonSong

Jun 2, 2018
IMO sandbox games are way too susceptible to being too much of a "grind".

Not always--but too often--it becomes a repetitive loop of:

1. Race through repeated events to improve stats / acquire resources (doesn't matter if it's just clicking through the same menus over and over or if you're doing some "minigame"--both are boring)

2. Progress relationship with girls step by step incrementally, with each step separated by the boring grind mentioned in pt 1, with progression looking like: first scene is grope, second is grope + handjob, third scene is grope + hj +bj, etc alllllll the way forward, but each occurrence is just the same scene extended.

These two patterns are often used together because they both achieve the same goal: minimizing the dev-time to play-time ratio.

Reactions: Family Fun

fitgirlbestgirl

Jul 27, 2017
Listen, you're never going to make a game or if you are it's going to be shit. Making 20 threads on here asking people about what game you should make and how to make money off Patreon indicates you have no motivation besides making a buck. If you have no drive to create something and an actual idea for a story to tell, anything you will shit out won't have any value.

reaperentertainment

Game Developer
Nov 11, 2021
Listen, you're never going to make a game or if you are it's going to be shit. Making 20 threads on here asking people about what game you should make and how to make money off Patreon indicates you have no motivation besides making a buck. If you have no drive to create something and an actual idea for a story to tell, anything you will shit out won't have any value.
Hey. I will make 100 threads asking people different things. And the way to get ideas is to ask around and see what people like. So thank you for your feedback I look forward to seeing you in my 100th question thread stating the same thing
See you then.
Until then I will keep asking questions. Until I'm blue in the face

Reactions: Family Fun

fitgirlbestgirl

Jul 27, 2017
Hey. I will make 100 threads asking people different things. And the way to get ideas is to ask around and see what people like. So thank you for your feedback I look forward to seeing you in my 100th question thread stating the same thing
See you then.
Go search the forums and you'll find a hundred threads like this, there is no value in asking a random sampling of like 10 people what kind of game you should make. The fact that you are asking to begin with demonstrates that you have no idea what you're doing. Asking questions is fine and there's a whole forum dedicated to art and programming help, but asking general questions about what kind of game to make just means you have nothing and are just trying to find the fastest route to milk some Patreon bucks.

Reactions: ARB582

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
what kind of game should it be.
What kind of game do you want to make, what kind of game your story can fit with, and, more important, what kind of game can you effectively make accordingly to your actual knowledge ?

What players want is a not too bad looking, nor too badly wrote, game with a story interesting enough and game mechanism that fit the whole. You can do all the poll you want, you'll never find the recipe for the perfect game, principally because there's not such recipe.
The two most successful games are Summertime Saga and Wild Life, and their only common point is to be really successful, and initially led by the will of their creator. They knew what they wanted to do, and they did it, period.

• Red Heart
Reactions: reaperentertainment

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
See you then.
I haven't seen any of those others 99 threads, but if your question is that simple without any info or context at all, then I already know enough to know that fitgirlbestgirl is right.

I highly recommend you to publish your game under another username, because like freedom.call said, I have a good feeling about this game. At least trick me by changing your username so I can objectively check the OP instead of remembering the name and insta pass it.