GAME UPDATES ONLY,,,,,?

Kingkela

Oct 5, 2020
I am curious why only few developer can post ... Game updates only while most just keep adding to the file and you have to download the whole file again and again every update? .

Is it so difficult to add only updates ( Ren"Py & RPGM)? , would be nice if some one can shed some light..

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
I am curious why only few developer can post ... Game updates only while most just keep adding to the file and you have to download the whole file again and again every update? .

Is it so difficult to add only updates ( Ren"Py & RPGM)? , would be nice if some one can shed some light..
For Ren'Py it is possible, even a feature that is has build into. RPGM I don't know. Also with tools like rsync or similar you could made that on a higher level.

But, I'm curious too (and want to kill the cat:devilish:): What do this has to do with the zone itself and what feature the zone shall add for this?;)

Reactions: Rafster

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
1.It can become convoluted both to uploaders keeping track of them as well as to users trying to install them.
2.Not everyone saves the game or follows it with every update to even benefit from patches, with today's internet speeds unless the game is massive it is easier to just redownload the full game.

In short it isn't difficult but probably not worth the extra effort considering most people are re-downloading the full game anyways.

Reactions: cooldude33 and xj47

OldHiccup

Our Home DEV
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 29, 2021
This process of mere updating, despite the availability of resources for it, is complex to implement.

You can provide only the update files, but it would be necessary to develop a mechanism to automate the process of applying these updates, especially for non-technical users.

For example, I distribute my Android game as two separate files, and people often have extreme difficulty understanding how to copy a file to a folder. Imagine people managing small update files.

Furthermore, there are difficulties when modifying older files that are overwritten. This can create challenges for developers when renaming or reorganizing files in the game folder. It would be impossible to rename files if the process were entirely manual. (Rsync could be an alternative, but it's not native to Ren'Py.)

I can foresee a ton of questions about how to apply an update or, the person downloading the update from and trying to apply an older version and getting an error.

All of this process requires appropriate programming experience, and most of the games available may be created by individuals who are just starting their careers in the field.

I believe the best way to do this is to fully manage the updates just through the game like some programs do, steam, epic games and others, and we still have to think that, this requires internet access, and I notice that many players do not like to play, with active internet.

When we think about developers who might be willing to create this mechanism, it's important to acknowledge that many games here are being made available without the developer's authorization.

It's likely that the developer would create a system to prevent people without access to their Patreon from downloading the update.

The individual with Patreon access would be responsible for identifying the update files and making them available here.

It's possible that this person may not have the same level of dedication, and we would find ourselves back at the starting point.

Taking into account all these variables, I believe it's more beneficial to maintain the current system as it is and instead consider increasing our internet plan.

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
I see it for many points as OldHiccup.
It is the same as with download links. Some dev pay a filehoster so that ther paying players can download from them without a speed limit or quota. Such a thing is nice, but not many would pay such a filehoster so that all who played the game, and of course that means, it includes the one who pirate the game, profite from that too.

It is a difference between the game is available here for free or that is available here for free and use the rescource the the dev pay and have no flatrate.

It gives a few options for update only downloads, as stated here. But it needs, as also stated here, either a user who knows what he does, a dev who knows what he does or both.

Least afford of work for a dev, would be no update version. Simple, easy and works, if the user doesn't install it in a previous game version or similar.

The version with the most work, would be to have their own update service either integrated into the game or separate (not over Steam, iotch, GOG and all the others).

All things between are work for both the users and the dev.

And for Steam and similar shops, some of us doesn't like them for various reasons. I don't like Steam and prefer GOG, because the games there aren't locked. Some doesn't like any additional clients, ....
Also if you put your game on a store front like Steam, then your game must be in compliance with their TOS in addtion to the TOS eg. Patreon have. For Steam means that the any games on Steam means (AFIAK) that any games there cant be cheaper on any other site. That is a reason, why you see sometimes after a Steam release that a game is only available for a certain tier and up and before it was for all tiers.

Kingkela

Oct 5, 2020
This process of mere updating, despite the availability of resources for it, is complex to implement.

You can provide only the update files, but it would be necessary to develop a mechanism to automate the process of applying these updates, especially for non-technical users.

For example, I distribute my Android game as two separate files, and people often have extreme difficulty understanding how to copy a file to a folder. Imagine people managing small update files.

Furthermore, there are difficulties when modifying older files that are overwritten. This can create challenges for developers when renaming or reorganizing files in the game folder. It would be impossible to rename files if the process were entirely manual. (Rsync could be an alternative, but it's not native to Ren'Py.)

I can foresee a ton of questions about how to apply an update or, the person downloading the update from and trying to apply an older version and getting an error.

All of this process requires appropriate programming experience, and most of the games available may be created by individuals who are just starting their careers in the field.

I believe the best way to do this is to fully manage the updates just through the game like some programs do, steam, epic games and others, and we still have to think that, this requires internet access, and I notice that many players do not like to play, with active internet.

When we think about developers who might be willing to create this mechanism, it's important to acknowledge that many games here are being made available without the developer's authorization.

It's likely that the developer would create a system to prevent people without access to their Patreon from downloading the update.

The individual with Patreon access would be responsible for identifying the update files and making them available here.

It's possible that this person may not have the same level of dedication, and we would find ourselves back at the starting point.

Taking into account all these variables, I believe it's more beneficial to maintain the current system as it is and instead consider increasing our internet plan.
Thank you for a detailed explanation (y):)