Seeking games that "learn" your preferences?

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I've been messing around with different ideas for a game and thought it would be fun to have a game that used a mechanic similar to what they do in Long Live the Princess (https://f95zone.to/threads/long-live-the-princess-v0-25-belle.5259/unread) or Time Loop Hunter (https://f95zone.to/threads/time-loop-hunter-v0-24-20-hydrahenker.5295/) where the options available with the different NPC characters is dependent on how much you know about them. I think it would be fun to take it a step further though and set it up so that the way the MC allows certain early scenes with each character to play out actually refines that character's basic motivations so it more closely matches the player's preferences.

As an example let's say MC is married and they like to have friends over for parties or whatever occasionally. Let's say at one of these parties Bill and Jane (also married) come over. Bill and Jane by default are swingers but you don't know that yet. By default you and your wife are a typical monogamous couple without any unusual kinks. So Bill and Jane come over for dinner or a party or something and they both start off flirty and handsy. He can be subtle about it or obvious. So far all you know about them is that they're both flirty and handsy. MC can stop the advances of either Bill or Jane or both (or neither).

For instance let's say MC notices Bill flirting with his wife and tells him to back off. Bill is no longer interested in MC's wife (he may still be flirty but he'll back off). Now it's Jane's turn. She flirts with MC and if he doesn't make an issue of it she starts getting handsy. Does he stop it? If he does then she's no longer interested in him (similar to Bill she may still flirt a bit but she'll keep her hands to herself). If he doesn't stop it, does he pay any attention to whether Bill sees what she's doing? If not then he's clueless and doesn't know about it, if he does check though he notices Bill watching them and Bill seems to like it. Bill likes watching his wife with other men now. Did he pay any attention to whether his wife saw? If not then she doesn't know. But if he did then he caught her watching and she seemed to like it. She gets off on him making her jealous now.

At some point during the night MC makes a trip to the bathroom and Jane follows him in there. If neither Bill nor MC's wife know about it then they can do whatever they want in there without getting caught. If MC caught Bill watching then maybe he follows them and cracks the door open a little so he can watch Jane giving MC a BJ or something. Or maybe his wife does that if she was the one watching.

You get the idea. So the scene is developed with alternate endings but a large chunk of the scene can remain common to every choice. So Bill and Jane are always flirty and handsy but whether they go farther than that is up to the player. Maybe MC shut Jane down but not Bill and it's Bill in the bathroom getting a BJ from his wife instead. If MC didn't stop any of the action maybe while he's in the bathroom with Jane, Bill is in the kitchen doing similar things with his wife.

The thing I like about the idea of doing things this way is you could make a game where characters have certain personality traits that are the same no matter what but you could allow the player to customize them a bit so that their preferences are closer to their own. In the above scenario you could also have a scene where MC is helping his wife in the kitchen and gets a bit frisky with her. Maybe he notices Bill and/or Jane watching and keeps it going (or not). So MC and his wife could end up as exhibitionists and Bill and Jane are voyeurs. So the bathroom scene is MC and his wife with Bill and/or Jane watching.

Most of the non sex related events that those characters are in could be the same regardless what their preferences are but you could have more flexibility about things like allowing close relationships with someone who might be purely a rival in a more typical NTR game. Vanilla fans get what they want, NTR fans get what they want, cuck fans get what they want, etc. I think the challenge would be setting up the initial scene so that it flows naturally and doesn't just feel like you're toggling personality traits or turning NTR on or off or whatever.

Bill and Jane are just extreme examples of characters with the maximum possible amount of customization since by default they're both willing to do anything and they're both willing to allow their SO to do anything. A more common situation would be characters with a bit more restrictive personality that could still be at least partially customizable.

For instance maybe Bob and Lisa come over and they're a more conservative couple but Lisa is secretly bisexual and doesn't know it. Bob is incorruptable and doesn't try anything on his own either but Lisa can be "convinced" to try some girl on girl stuff with the wife (eventually). Maybe if the girl on girl aspect is not encouraged then they can instead find out that they're voyeurs. Maybe if MC shuts it all down they're just a typical monogamous couple who aren't interested in any hanky panky.

I can't really think of any games I've played that take it to this sort of level. Usually the closest I see is something like a scene that starts off as a FF scene and MC has the option to just watch or join in. Or some similar scenario. It's not really set up to customize the character. Does anyone know of any games that do things similar to this?

Last edited:

thecardinal

Latina midget, sub to my Onlyfans - cash for gash
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
It's one thing to have this idea and want to implement it, it's a complete mess to code something like this.

Plus each branching path for sexual preferences requires extra coding, writing, and rendering/drawing without adding any playtime for people doing one playthrough.

Then you have to add multiple paths for conversations that will differ depending on the relationships with the other characters.....

hameleona

Oct 27, 2018
Download something like YedGraph Editor (a free program for making flowcharts) and just try to plan 20 scenes like that. You'll get lost in the permutations pretty quickly. There is a reason the more meaningful choices you give, the worse the writing process gets. Maybe with a dedicated writer and a well-constrained linear story, but I'm pretty certain your coder will hate you.
It's a really good way to understand how demanding is story variety and how complex things get very, very quickly.
There is a reason I once said that 25 endings when there are 4 main love interests is a low number of endings.

Reactions: khumak

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
You wouldn't have to use that type of mechanic for every character. I'm thinking mostly the ones you think might be questionable for whatever your core audience is. So for instance using my Bill and Jane example maybe Bill is your main rival in the game and potentially someone who can get the upper hand on MC in an NTR scenario.

For people who are into that, they could intentionally let it happen or even encourage it while people who don't like that could shift his character to maybe focus on blackmailing you for money or using some other means to get the upper hand on you rather than fucking your wife and with the option to turn the tables on him and fuck HIS wife for people who want the MC to really dominate. You could have other types of characters that might be somewhat fringe that you have a similar alternate path for.

Maybe there is a female character who can end up dominating MC in some sort of femdom scene but you include an option to turn the tables on her and reverse it for people who would rather not play a submissive character. But the more mainstream characters are more of an "as is" take it or leave it proposition.

hameleona

Oct 27, 2018
Hey it's doable, it's just way much work. Simple math with basic choices:
ep.1: Are you a sub or a dom?
ep.2: If you are a sub, are you in to humiliation or pain or lack of control? If you are a dom are you in to control, humiliation, or pain? (we now have 6 variations)
ep.3: now has 6 variants depending on previous choices. Let's say it asks another basic question - gay, hetero or bi? Now we have 18 variations. Now every interaction with person X has anywhere between 5 and 18 variations.

And not to mention the problems of defining NPCs by player choice create from the writers perspective. If Bill will try to fuck my wife his characterization is not the same as Bill who doesn't want to do it.

As I've said - it's doable, but it's much harder than it looks like. Especially when talking about keeping the characterization of the NPCs coherent.