Seeking Games with a good story which are not VN or renpy games?

denilol

Apr 16, 2020
I'm looking for games that have actual gameplay as well as story. Most renpy games, to me, seem to consist of just reading and clicking and then more reading, which can be great for telling many good stories I'm sure. However I'd prefer if the game also contained more than just that and had a fun gameplay loop that goes beyond merely pointing and clicking.

Jun 16, 2023
I totally agree that most renpy titles seem to be mostly AVNs with little sandbox or gameplay stuff. However, there's certainly some renpy titles that have utilized the engine for good gameplay, I have listed some below along with rpgm games that I liked.

Dating Joyce: a Deckbuilding Game
Tropicali
Summertime Saga
Game of Hearts

Hero Party Must Fall
Succum Brewery
Treasures of Nadia
The Last Sovereign (haven't played but heard it's massive lore)

Last edited:

Penumbral Evanescence

|☽◯☾| Somnium of the Night ✧ Bête Noire
Donor
Jul 16, 2021
I'm looking for games that have actual gameplay as well as story. Most renpy games, to me, seem to consist of just reading and clicking and then more reading, which can be great for telling many good stories I'm sure. However I'd prefer if the game also contained more than just that and had a fun gameplay loop that goes beyond merely pointing and clicking.
Here are some that I can think of off the top of my head (all games are based out of the RPGM engine).

Peasant's Quest

A Struggle with Sin

Star Knightess Aura

Ashley the Pirate

P.S. *An honourable mention* it is a Ren'PY engine-based game but also has a pretty interesting storyline and some nifty/intriguing investigation/detective gameplay elements.

Long Live the Princess