Seeking Games with story/gameplay that kept you hooked

MrHodor

Dec 1, 2019
So, basically I want to know what games (preferably 3dcg, renpy, Visual Novel) that you guys played had a story or gameplay that kept you hooked. Any genre will do for me (mafia/crime, fantasy, magic, school, mystery, thriller) as long as it has good writing and/or has an interesting story and/or game features so please link or post them all here.
Some examples of these that I have played that would fit into these descriptions are The DeLuca Family, Ataegina, Long Live the Princess, Leap of Faith, City of Broken Dreamers, Wicked Choices etc.

MrHodor

Dec 1, 2019
All great games. Going a bit outside your engine preference, Last Sovereign is well worth playing (RPGM).
Yeah, got that game recommended to me before but never got around to playing it. Guess I'll give it a try now. Thanks.

Oh and from what I've seen from the other threads, it looks like your game is also a good one. But I don't know anything about poker so I held on playing it but I'll also give it a try once I have the time.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Yeah, got that game recommended to me before but never got around to playing it. Guess I'll give it a try now. Thanks.

Oh and from what I've seen from the other threads, it looks like your game is also a good one. But I don't know anything about poker so I held on playing it but I'll also give it a try once I have the time.
It's just using poker hands to signify damage in combat. So "three of a kind" maps to "attack #5". There's also an auto-play mode, where you can tell the PC to pick it's best guess.

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
The one I've played the most by far is Karryn's Prison. It looks good for RPGM, the gameplay is engaging (if often cryptic in mechanics and some of the content), and you can approach the game in a number of ways depending on the content you want to aim for, once you know what you're doing (and there is a learning curve for sure). I can easily see myself coming back to this dozens more times, especially with the new content that's planned.

One that's more writing than gameplay is Witch Trainer (specifically, I played it with the Silver Mod). It's funny and upbeat.

And purely for writing, since it's overlooked partly because of the crude artstyle, I want to give a shoutout to Ruin Me. Give it a chance if you're in the mood for horror and can get by without good visuals, I think it's one of the best-written games I've played on here.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrHodor

MrHodor

Dec 1, 2019
It's just using poker hands to signify damage in combat. So "three of a kind" maps to "attack #5". There's also an auto-play mode, where you can tell the PC to pick it's best guess.
Oh that's good to know. Guess I'll just leave the poker parts on autoplay then hehe

The one I've played the most by far is Karryn's Prison. It looks good for RPGM, the gameplay is engaging (if often cryptic in mechanics and some of the content), and you can approach the game in a number of ways depending on the content you want to aim for, once you know what you're doing (and there is a learning curve for sure). I can easily see myself coming back to this dozens more times, especially with the new content that's planned.

One that's more writing than gameplay is Witch Trainer (specifically, I played it with the Silver Mod). It's funny and upbeat.

And purely for writing, since it's overlooked partly because of the crude artstyle, I want to give a shoutout to Ruin Me. Give it a chance if you're in the mood for horror and can get by without good visuals, I think it's one of the best-written games I've played on here.
These all look like good games. For Karryn's Prison, I personally don't like playing RPGM and female-protagonist games but I'll definitely give it a shot if the gameplay and content is engaging enough for me. Witch Trainer also looks fun to play and even though I'm not a fan of Ruin Me's art style, I'll also give it a shot for it's good writing as you claim. And I also like playing Corruption games (those three look like they are) so that's another reason for me to try them.

• Hey there
Reactions: Pretentious Goblin

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
Another one with strong writing is Kingdom of Deception, though I suspect that if you dislike female protag out of what I think are the typical reasons, you really won't enjoy this one. Either that or it'll be a guilty pleasure. I'm mildly curious.

i107760

Sistersitting / Housesitting Developer
Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
If you can stand text-only games, give my game a try. A lot of people post in the comments for it that it is really well written and an engaging read. (Links to it are in my signature).

MrHodor

Dec 1, 2019
Another one with strong writing is Kingdom of Deception, though I suspect that if you dislike female protag out of what I think are the typical reasons, you really won't enjoy this one. Either that or it'll be a guilty pleasure. I'm mildly curious.
I refrain from playing fem protag games cause when I play, I like to put myself in the shoes of the character I'm controlling (more like role-playing), and with fem protag games, I find it difficult to do so. But I'll def check this one out as well and see if I enjoy it.

If you can stand text-only games, give my game a try. A lot of people post in the comments for it that it is really well written and an engaging read. (Links to it are in my signature).
Actually playing text-only games were the ones that led me to this site as I tried to find more games similar to the ones I played which in turn led me to playing visual novels. Visuals definitely lets me enjoy games more but I would also most definitely play text-only games if the writing is superb so I'd also check your game out when I have the time.

i107760

Sistersitting / Housesitting Developer
Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
Actually playing text-only games were the ones that led me to this site as I tried to find more games similar to the ones I played which in turn led me to playing visual novels. Visuals definitely lets me enjoy games more but I would also most definitely play text-only games if the writing is superb so I'd also check your game out when I have the time.
That's good to hear, if you decide to try my game, let me know if you enjoyed it or not. And if you didn't, what you disliked and how it could be improved. I also love text-only games, and reading in general. I always find it sad when a game has decent art, but then the story that accompanies it is just badly written or nonsensical.

MrHodor

Dec 1, 2019
That's good to hear, if you decide to try my game, let me know if you enjoyed it or not. And if you didn't, what you disliked and how it could be improved. I also love text-only games, and reading in general. I always find it sad when a game has decent art, but then the story that accompanies it is just badly written or nonsensical.
Yeah, I'll let you know for sure though it might take a while for me to play your game. Too many games to play and not much free time haha.

Reactions: i107760