general computer question

Kabo12

Jun 15, 2022
I am new to gaming on pc and was wondering if I have one version of a game already downloaded how do I go about downloading a newer version without loosing my previous saves if they are compatible would I just grab the save folder from the previous version and drop it into the new versions file. Any help is appreciated thank you.

morphnet

Aug 3, 2017
Hi, that depends on the game engine used. If you are playing renpy then the saves are stored in appdata/roaming and apart from one or two special cases, you can load the save without moving anything.
If you are playing rpgmaker games, just copy the save folder from the older version to the new one.

Also make sure to check update info as sometimes save are not compatible with newer versions and you will have to either start over or download a save shared in the thread.

Reactions: Pretentious Goblin

Madmunchkin

Nov 8, 2017
Yes, it's quite common you can migrate your old savegame to newer versions. There might be a few other things you need to transfer as well, for example character cards at Illusion games or other self created content that's not part of your new game. You might be able to transfer config files as well so you don't need to adjust your game settings again.