Ren'Py Generate Translations fails on any project

Perverteer

Peddler of Unspeakable Goods
Game Developer
Nov 19, 2017
One of my players has been nice enough to offer to translate Sisterly Lust in German. I'm having trouble generating the necessary translation files (on a Mac) though.

After hitting "Generate Translations" Ren'Py starts to extract and consistently fails, logging this error:
Exception: Language 'german' does not have any translations.
From what I understand from the documentation, Ren'Py should create an empty script file ready to be translated, but it doesn't...

I've tried to generate translations for the stock Ren'Py projects (Tutorial and The Question) too, but it fails similarly. Am I missing something here?

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
One of my players has been nice enough to offer to translate Sisterly Lust in German. I'm having trouble generating the necessary translation files (on a Mac) though.

After hitting "Generate Translations" Ren'Py starts to extract and consistently fails, logging this error:

From what I understand from the documentation, Ren'Py should create an empty script file ready to be translated, but it doesn't...

I've tried to generate translations for the stock Ren'Py projects (Tutorial and The Question) too, but it fails similarly. Am I missing something here?
I just tested this on Tutorial with Ren'py 7.2.2 and didn't have any problem.

My first guess is that there's something wrong with your Ren'py installation. I'd suggest you download a fresh copy of the latest version and see what happens using that.

(Like your game, btw...)

Reactions: Perverteer

Perverteer

Game Developer
Nov 19, 2017
I've downloaded a fresh version of the SDK too, but that doesn't seem to make a difference. Ren'Py version doesn't seem to be a factor either (7.2 and 7.3 have the same behavior). Also started Ren'Py with sudo from the command line, but no luck with that either.

Someone provided me with a collection of the extracted strings from my game and when I place them in the tl directory, Ren'Py stops complaining when I generate a translation. It doesn't pick up new strings however, so something is still amiss, it's just not entering an error state.

Perverteer

Game Developer
Nov 19, 2017
Well, mighty top-notch superstar developer Perverteer has done it again! He hit the wrong button.

In my defense, the GUI is a little unclear and the weather is far too hot right now, but I consistently hit "Extract string translations" instead of "Generate translations" (mistaking it for a header instead of a button).

Feel free to hit me with that "Shame shame shame" GIF from Game of Thrones any time.

Last edited:
Reactions: recreation