Genesis 8 Morph Issue.... please help!

3DC

Jun 5, 2018
When I bend Genesis 8 female legs the pelvis malfunctions. You can see it with the two gen 8 models who are posing. All the other models are fine. It's just gen 8 female. It was working fine before. Not sure what caused this.
The standing gen 8 female is fine until I bend her legs. Anyone know what's going on? Do I have to uninstall Daz Studio? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Help with morphs.png

Deleted member 327695

Game Developer
Dec 11, 2017
It's because of a female morph asset.

I had the same problem and I had to deinstall an asset for "bigger girls".

Try removing assets until you found the broken one.

Reactions: 3DC

3DC

Jun 5, 2018

Thank you so much for responding! I will try this and see what happens. Hopefully I can find the assets file with no problem.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
As 3DC indicated, this is almost certainly due to a rogue asset that has incorrect math for a JCM (which is a TLA for "dial up one of my morphs when that joint bends to correct something with one of my other morphs.")

You may be able to narrow down which asset is causing this by creating the situation, and then using the "hamburger menu" on the "Shaping" pane to "Show Hidden". Then look to see what morphs are non-zero.

3DC

Jun 5, 2018
As 3DC indicated, this is almost certainly due to a rogue asset that has incorrect math for a JCM (which is a TLA for "dial up one of my morphs when that joint bends to correct something with one of my other morphs.")

You may be able to narrow down which asset is causing this by creating the situation, and then using the "hamburger menu" on the "Shaping" pane to "Show Hidden". Then look to see what morphs are non-zero.
Thank you Rich. I believe that's the issue as well. I'm not sure which morph is the "bad morph." I know how to look into my My Daz Studio Library folders but uninstalling the folder completely is where I'm having issues. I went into Parameters and show hidden tabs and everything is zeroed out as it should be when I upload the basic Gen 8 model.

People have said it's because of a "big girl" 3rd party morph folder or some random character. I deleted the big girl morphs but it didn't help. I uninstalled the character, restored my computer points and uninstalled Daz Studio completely and still nothing... At this point I have no idea. I need someone to look at it or something.... Thanks again for the response. I hope I can get to the bottom of this.

3DC

Jun 5, 2018

Oceanlab if you don't mind. Could you share with me the steps in deinstalling morphs?

I saw a big girl morph in My Daz 3D Library folder under gen 8 morphs and deleted them while in the folder but nothing happened. I also typed assets in search while in DAZ 3D Library folders and saw a lot of different asset files but I'm scared to screw around with it.

I don't want to create other issues with other genesis models. If you could share with me the steps to deinstalling from assets that would help me. Thanks for your time in trying to respond and help me with this weird issue.

Deleted member 327695

Game Developer
Dec 11, 2017
It doesn't have to be a big girl morph. It was in my case.

Just go to MyDaz3D Library and start deleting assets that morph your G8 female. (There must be a folder with People -> G8 female (I'm on mobile right now so I can't look.) And start deleting them

Mark 5 assets and cut them out into a new folder

Then start Daz and see if its still there. (Maybe create a new G8 and try to bend it.)

If it is, move these 5 Assets Back into the library and cut out the next 5 assets and do this until you find the broken one.

Thats how I did it.

3DC

Jun 5, 2018
It doesn't have to be a big girl morph. It was in my case.

Just go to MyDaz3D Library and start deleting assets that morph your G8 female. (There must be a folder with People -> G8 female (I'm on mobile right now so I can't look.) And start deleting them

Mark 5 assets and cut them out into a new folder

Then start Daz and see if its still there. (Maybe create a new G8 and try to bend it.)

If it is, move these 5 Assets Back into the library and cut out the next 5 assets and do this until you find the broken one.

Thats how I did it.
Thanks Oceanlab. Your method makes sence and I will try it. Hopefully it works. I also submitted a work order for Daz studio as well and hoping they get back with me. You've helped me a lot so I have no other questions. Will update this thread once it's finally fixed. I managed to work around the issue by being picky about the poses I choose but this is a temporary method until the issue is fixed. Thanks again!

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Thank you Rich. I believe that's the issue as well. I'm not sure which morph is the "bad morph." I know how to look into my My Daz Studio Library folders but uninstalling the folder completely is where I'm having issues. I went into Parameters and show hidden tabs and everything is zeroed out as it should be when I upload the basic Gen 8 model.

People have said it's because of a "big girl" 3rd party morph folder or some random character. I deleted the big girl morphs but it didn't help. I uninstalled the character, restored my computer points and uninstalled Daz Studio completely and still nothing... At this point I have no idea. I need someone to look at it or something.... Thanks again for the response. I hope I can get to the bottom of this.
To be a bit more detailed, what you're likely running into is a rogue "Joint Controlled Morph" (JCM). Consider a character whose knee is bending. Sometimes, the top of the calf and the bottom of the thigh don't "fold up" the way that a PA would like when they're building a character. So, what the do is:
  1. Bend the knee
  2. Create a morph that fixes the bits they don't like around the knee
  3. Tie the morph to the knee bend
This why it's called a "Joint Controlled Morph."

Now, when a PA does this for one of his/her characters, he's also supposed to tie it to his character morph being selected, so that it doesn't trigger on other characters. But sometimes they screw up. Or, sometimes, when a user is trying to create a morph of their own, they inadvertently fiddle with a morph and break it.

Bottom line - it's almost certainly not the fault of the G8F character itself - it's something else that's adding itself in when it shouldn't be.

Just as an example, consider the "George" character for G3M. He's pretty, well, "rotund," so making his joints work nicely takes some doing. Thus, if I have George in my scene and bend him forward at the abdomen, there are a lot of "hidden" morphs that come into play. I said earlier that you would find them on the "Shaping" tab - I was mistaken, it's the "Parameters" tab.

Put your G8F into the scene, bend her so that the problem shows.

Then, go to the "Parameters" tab, click on the hamburger menu, and select "Show Hidden Properties."
1.png

Then click on the "Currently Used" item, and look for anything other than the bend that you selected.

2.png

If you find something, click on the little gear button and a dialog will come up.
3.png

The contents of the dialog may give you a clue as to what the rogue morph is. If you can figure out the bad morph(s), we may be able to track back to what "product" it's contained in.

BTW, I've seen this happen to any number of people over on the Daz forums, so don't think you're alone in this...

Reactions: theKimb and 3DC

3DC

Jun 5, 2018
To be a bit more detailed, what you're likely running into is a rogue "Joint Controlled Morph" (JCM). Consider a character whose knee is bending. Sometimes, the top of the calf and the bottom of the thigh don't "fold up" the way that a PA would like when they're building a character. So, what the do is:
  1. Bend the knee
  2. Create a morph that fixes the bits they don't like around the knee
  3. Tie the morph to the knee bend
This why it's called a "Joint Controlled Morph."

Now, when a PA does this for one of his/her characters, he's also supposed to tie it to his character morph being selected, so that it doesn't trigger on other characters. But sometimes they screw up. Or, sometimes, when a user is trying to create a morph of their own, they inadvertently fiddle with a morph and break it.

Bottom line - it's almost certainly not the fault of the G8F character itself - it's something else that's adding itself in when it shouldn't be.

Just as an example, consider the "George" character for G3M. He's pretty, well, "rotund," so making his joints work nicely takes some doing. Thus, if I have George in my scene and bend him forward at the abdomen, there are a lot of "hidden" morphs that come into play. I said earlier that you would find them on the "Shaping" tab - I was mistaken, it's the "Parameters" tab.

Put your G8F into the scene, bend her so that the problem shows.

Then, go to the "Parameters" tab, click on the hamburger menu, and select "Show Hidden Properties."
View attachment 316756

Then click on the "Currently Used" item, and look for anything other than the bend that you selected.

View attachment 316757

If you find something, click on the little gear button and a dialog will come up.
View attachment 316758

The contents of the dialog may give you a clue as to what the rogue morph is. If you can figure out the bad morph(s), we may be able to track back to what "product" it's contained in.

BTW, I've seen this happen to any number of people over on the Daz forums, so don't think you're alone in this...
You're a rockstar Rich. Thanks for the details. I'm just seeing your response after I "fixed" the problem. I just bought a new computer and was excited about transferring my data and my guess is, I saved over a file by accident. Because it's a brand new computer that I'm only using for Daz, I wiped out the hard drive completely by rebooting it and reinstalled Daz.

I went to extreme measures, I know, but it was either that or take the new expensive computer back and back to my less quality pc. Your response may have fixed my issue. I'm glad you chimed in so that someone else can try this if they find themselves in this situation on this forum. I'm so glad it's finally over! I was pretty darn stressed out because I have commissions to complete.
I appreciate your time in helping me solve this.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I saved over a file by accident
Yes, this can cause this. One of the underlying issues commonly reported on the Daz forum is having overwritten a morph file with one that has a non-zero value as its base, so that it starts getting applied to all figures even when not "dialed in."

Glad you figured it out. This is one of those annoying things about the way that Daz works - that it loads up ALL the morphs installed in content, can will apply any it thinks have been activated somehow. I understand why the do it that way, but it doesn't make it any the less challenging to trace down issues like this...