Daz Georgia Hair G3F goes inside the head for poses with head/neck movement, how do I fix this?

Sakrilas

Just Another Member
Game Developer
Oct 26, 2017
I would appreciate if someone could help me figure out what's going on here.

It looks like is going crazy for any pose that involves a lot of neck and head movements.

Here's an image of a T-posing default Genesis 3 character using it.

1614495382423.png

The hair fits perfectly without any need for adjustments.

Now, here's what happens if I pose the character with a lot of neck/head movement:

1614495478000.png

If I use the adjustment sliders for the left side to the maximum, I can make things a bit better, but it still looks quite bad.

1614495585895.png

Does anyone know if there's a way for me to fix this?

Any kind of assistance is appreciated.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
What you're seeing is the fact that outoftouch included hair morphs that are tied to the neck position in order to try to have the hair not act like a rigid "helmet" on the character. As I recall, most of the morphs are mostly tied to just one of the next bones ("Neck Upper", if I recall correctly) so one approach might be to use that particular bone less and the other two ("Neck Upper" and "Head") related bones more so that you don't trigger the morph as much.

Either that, or if one of the shaping morphs is getting you in the correct direction but doesn't go far enough, you can click on the little "gear" above the slider for the shaping morph in question, select "Parameter Settings..." and, in the dialog you get as a result, uncheck the "Use Limits" checkbox. This will let you dial that morph farther than outoftouch thought you should be able to. (Basically, more than 100%)

Reactions: Sakrilas

Sakrilas

Just Another Member
Game Developer
Oct 26, 2017
Hi there, Rich

Thanks for helping me with this! Is this a common problem with hairs in general?

It's a pity to know that the solution is to use the adjustment morphs beyond the limits, on one hand it gets rid of the bald spots, but on the other it often ends up leaving odd shapes in other areas, so I need to tweak back and forth carefully every time.

I was hoping there would be a way to the issue to be fixed by using the join editor or something similar.

Thanks again, I really appreciated the help.

Laikhent

May 16, 2018
Sakrilas

I never encountered this issue before, but I think it is related to the bone weights.

----

The first thing you can try is kind of a long shot but has the chance to fix your problem quickly if it works. Try using the transfer utility to see if it fixes the bone weights: edit> figure > transfer utility. Use the source as the genesis3 model, and the target as the hair. You can try playing with the settings like "use near vertices" to see if anything changes.

----

If the above does not work, there's what I think is a guaranteed 100% chance of working but it may be kind of time consuming. You will basically have to weight paint the hair yourself.
To start, you will want to see how a correctly weight painted hair looks like
(this will also allow you to confirm if the problem is really the weight paint, before you actually spend time painting the hair)
-Load another hair that is long like your Georgia hair and that is working without bugs (to check how a correctly weight painted hair looks like)
-Select the upper chest bone of the hair
-go window>panel>tool settings
-on the tool settings tab, change the active tool to Node Weight Map Brush
-on the tool settings tab, click the map that is displayed there (should be "General Weights")
-you should see the hair colors changing. These are the weights each vertex has with the upper chest bone
-also select the necks and head bones (and any other extra bones the hair may have) and pay attention to how the hair is painted for each bone (you can take screenshots for reference)
-Load your Georgia hair and compare the weight paint, it should have some differences, since the Georgia hair is not behaving correctly (this will also allow you to confirm that the weight paint is really what is causing the problem)
-you will then have to weight paint Georgia Hair so that the weights look more similar to a non bugged hair (unless there's a way to auto paint it, I'm not a Daz expert)

----

You can also try using the smoothing modifier: select the hair and edit > figure > geometry > add smoothing modifier. This is supposed to solve clipping issues, but I think it only works well if the clipping is not that drastic

----

If everything fails, you can ask the same question in the DAZ forums. There's a moderator there that seems to know about everything that is Daz related and there are other ppl that might know how to solve your issue.

Last edited:

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Thanks for helping me with this! Is this a common problem with hairs in general?
Glad you got it sorted. No, on average I'd say this isn't a problem. The Georgia hair is "kind of shoulder length," and I think outoftouch was trying to help people out. Many other hairs have "bones" in them that allow them to be posed. Ponytails, for example. And sometimes long hairs. (dForce hair doesn't have this issue either, but, of course, you end up having to run the simulation for each and every frame.)

The Georgia hair is one of the few that I've run across (not that my experience is huge) that has this particular issue.