Get Around Mega DL Limit

Mark600601

Donor
Apr 25, 2017
May have found a way around Mega's 5GB download limit.
Hit my DL limit so I was attempting to find a way around it and it worked.
Havent exactly tested it, all I know is I tried it and it worked so figured Id share and see if works for other as well.

Not sure how to do this on a MAC but for Windows its a fairly simple process.
1. Open Command Prompt. (For those unsure how to do that go to start and type in "run" in the box that opens type "CMD". This will open the command prompt)
2.Type "ipconfig/release"
3. When it finishes type "ipconfig/renew"
4. Give it some time and MEGA will finish downloading your game

After typing in ipconfig/renew nothing happened for me at first and I assumed it just didnt work and left the room for a while but upon coming back my game had finished downloading

bas

retired
Donor
Respected User
Former Staff
May 6, 2017
Just FYI - this will only work if it changes your public IP address.

Reactions: wx448

Mark600601

Donor
Apr 25, 2017
Not at all, but it won't work for some people who are behind a NAT/router.
Im using a router. I was worried doing so might disconnect me but even that didnt happen.
Id just rather make sure all the info is out there before someones does this and it causes them issues

Mar 7, 2018
Yes, here is some information about this, i think:

"IP addresses are assigned to a host either dynamically at the time of booting, or permanently by fixed configuration of the host hardware or software. Persistent configuration is also known as using a static IP address. In contrast, when a computer's IP address is assigned newly each time it restarts, this is known as using a dynamic IP address."

and there's also this: "A sticky dynamic IP address is an informal term used by cable and DSL Internet access subscribers to describe a dynamically assigned IP address which seldom changes."

So if you have dynamic which many have, then this will work, otherwise with static/sticky at least you don't get a new real IP but idk what MEGA checks you on? So i'm not sure.......

amBest

Jul 18, 2017
Isn't a month like $5. Is that too much? I think the sub bumps you up to either 500GB or 1TB

zerozip0

May 23, 2018
There are various ways to get around the daily limit. With the correct browser setup/adds enabled one can simply copy the url somewhere to then close and reopen the browser and then go to the url again. (The DL will restart but that is no issue with a proper internet connection!)
A more severe issue is the 2gb file limit for non-desktop app downloads on mega. For those files I will go to a mirror site instead.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Not at all, but it won't work for some people who are behind a NAT/router.
Neither for those who don't have an IP address assigned by DHCP. Whatever it's because the IP address isn't dynamic, or because it's assigned directly by the DSLAM (or equivalent). It will also fail if the ISP use sticky dynamic IP address or decided that their DHCP servers will not effectively renew the IP address and just restart the link.

Reactions: bas

Spunkmeister

Donor
Mar 26, 2017
May have found a way around Mega's 5GB download limit.
Hit my DL limit so I was attempting to find a way around it and it worked.
Havent exactly tested it, all I know is I tried it and it worked so figured Id share and see if works for other as well.

Not sure how to do this on a MAC but for Windows its a fairly simple process.
1. Open Command Prompt. (For those unsure how to do that go to start and type in "run" in the box that opens type "CMD". This will open the command prompt)
2.Type "ipconfig/release"
3. When it finishes type "ipconfig/renew"
4. Give it some time and MEGA will finish downloading your game

After typing in ipconfig/renew nothing happened for me at first and I assumed it just didnt work and left the room for a while but upon coming back my game had finished downloading
Are you using the mega downloader/Jdownloader or the official mega.nz downloading tool?