Good story, what does that actually mean?

XartusStudio

Enchanting lewd
Game Developer
Jul 1, 2021
Hey all!

My focus lately has been more on playing than creating. One thing puzzles me. The more "unconventional" fetishes a game has, the more the storyline is repetitive for games with the same thing. But my main question is, plot is pretext for erotica or vice versa? The deeper you go, the more other people like it despite the weaker plot (I mean predictable and banal). So what is the point here?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
One thing puzzles me. The more "unconventional" fetishes a game has, the more the storyline is repetitive for games with the same thing.
Well, there's constraints due to the fetish, but mostly it's due to a lack of imagination of the author and/or it's lack of knowledge regarding the fetish. Many authors add this or that because it seem to be expected by the players, but have absolutely no idea of what it mean.
Take watersport by example. It's often added because it's easy to make it optional, don't need hard works... at least as depicted in games since 95% of the time it's just a scene where you'll look at the girl pissing while in the toilets. One authors added this in his game. Few others found that it was an easy way to add a fetish in their game, and they copied what he did. Then some authors find it in many games, always made in the same way, and thought that it's something that mandatory for a good game ; but having no idea about what it effectively is, they also copied what the others did.

But my main question is, plot is pretext for erotica or vice versa?
Both ?

Ideally, you should write your story (at least the general idea of it), then when it's a coherent story that can works by itself, you add the lewd parts to it. But there's people who do the opposite and still achieve to have something interesting. And, obviously, there's those who don't care at all about the plot, and they still can find their public.

The deeper you go, the more other people like it despite the weaker plot (I mean predictable and banal).
This is only due to the lack of alternative. The deeper is your fetish, the less games you'll find, therefore you'll play whatever game have it.
But the same also apply the other way. There's games I play because I really like the story, while not liking its lewd content. It's by example the case of Shatered. I don't like sissy games and male on male content, and it's a sissy game where male on malesissy represent a third of the content. Yet I really like the deepness of its story, play all the updates, and follow 9 routes of the story. There's also few games where I find the lewd content boring, but for which I'm hooked by the story.

So what is the point here?
What if there isn't ?

Look at movies, there's some ridiculous ones that are among the best popular success. It's the case by example of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. It's a (relatively badly done) movie released in 1975 that is still played in some theaters around the world ; do you realize, near to 50 years that this movie is played at least once every weeks, is there another movie that can say the same ? It even ended in the Congress Library due to its cultural importance.
The same happen with books, like Twilight that is a horror in terms of writing, a stupid story and an insult to a whole literature's mythology. Yet it found its public and was a great popular success. Or there's 50 shades of Gray, that isn't better in terms of writing qualities, and depict domestic abuse, not BDSM, but also was a success.
And those are only three examples, there's many others, including in video gaming, music, and probably other fields. Too which you've to add the "average" books, movies, video games and music, that achieve to exist because there's a public for them. It's a small public, but in the same time a public big enough for them to be more or less to be cost effective, and justify that their author continue to works.

Just write the story you want, the way you want, and take pleasure doing it. If there's a point here, I'm pretty sure that it's this one.

fitgirlbestgirl

Jul 27, 2017
The more "unconventional" fetishes a game has, the more the storyline is repetitive for games with the same thing. But my main question is, plot is pretext for erotica or vice versa?
Certain fetishes just necessitate certain tropes and story setups. Or at least it's logical for lazy devs or people with let's say "limited" imaginations to gravitate to those. If you're doing an incest game you probably want your MC to live in a house with his family for plot convenience, which usually means it would make sense he's still young, which means he stills goes to school, etc, etc and there's your vanilla incest setup.

Game devs making their first game usually aren't aspiring novelists with an original story to tell. In fact, almost none of them are. They just want to try making a game and grab the easiest or the most "tried and true" formulas and try to make their version of it. Most of it is shit, well, even most first time dev games with an original story are shit. That's just the nature of an amateur scene. That doesn't mean you can't make a great game using cliched plots and tropes. It's all in the execution.

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
Hey all!

My focus lately has been more on playing than creating. One thing puzzles me. The more "unconventional" fetishes a game has, the more the storyline is repetitive for games with the same thing.
It's a numbers game. the more niche the fetish the fewer people who want to develop a game for it. So there is just less talent to draw from.
The indie space has thousands if not tens of thousands active developers so you get several amazing games each year. The adult space has hundreds to a couple of thousands so that drops to like one a year. A niche fetish might have a dozen developers so you may have to wait years between good games let alone excellent ones.

But my main question is, plot is pretext for erotica or vice versa?
There is no absolute answer to this. there are good games that lean more to one or the other. Though I doubt you can have a good adult game that is (nearly) exclusively focussed on either.

The deeper you go, the more other people like it despite the weaker plot (I mean predictable and banal). So what is the point here?
Again its the numbers game. IF you have a large pool of games some of the better ones will float to the top of the giant cesspool of shit games below the surface. So you will never have to even be aware of the shit that is out there and thus your standards can and will be higher.
If you have niche interests and you have a choice of two games you will play both and you just don't have the luxury to be picky or set more than the bare minimum of standards.

• Red Heart
Reactions: XartusStudio