GPU for Rendering?

WhitePhantom

Donor
Game Developer
Feb 21, 2018
Hey guys,

Found this forum pretty helpful so I'll ask here too, does anybody have any suggestions on the best graphics card for rendering?

I'm using a laptop at the moment here are the specs:
  • Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ (2.8 GHz)
  • 8 GB RAM with 128 GB PCIe SSD and 1 TB storage
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
I have a Desktop (which has been dead for 2 years, needs a new GPU):
  • AMD FX-8350 Processor
  • 16GB AMD 2133mhz RAM
  • (KIA) GTX 780
I'm thinking putting a new GPU in it and using the Desktop rather than my laptop.
Would the best GPU to get be the GTX 1080TI?

(One I was looking at: )

I'm being made redundant so have a budget of about £850 from my pay-off. Or should I look at getting an i9, 32GB of RAM and rendering off the Intel Chip? Any thoughts?

PixelRepublic

Donor
Jun 4, 2017
For Daz3D, rendering from the GPU is better.

With your PC, I would advise keeping your current GPU as a secondary GPU for your monitor. That way your new GPU can be used 100% for rendering.

If you're gaming on that PC, you can connect your monitor to the better GPU for better FPS.

As for a new GPU (and this is just my personal opinion and experience), I would advise staying away from Gigabyte. I had too many problems with their hardware in the past to risk large amounts of money on them. For GPUs at the moment, I've been sticking with Asus. They're a bit more expensive, but I've found them to be good at cooling and generally better quality.

Again, that's just my personal opinion. When spending that amount of money, you're best of hearing many opinions and deciding yourself from there. Also check out some review sites and Youtubers.

Also, while I love Overclockers for hardware, you might get a better deal elsewhere, it's worth shopping around.