Daz Grainy hair in animations (with denoiser)

CaramelCowboy

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2020
Hi all,
I'm trying to animate a scene 1920x1080 scene.
Max samples 300
Denoiser at 280
image quality off

The images turn out fine if you look at them on their own. But when they're turned into a video, you notice the different grain on the hair which gives the hair a fuzzy look. The skin / rest of the scene is fine.
Any ideas? Is this because of image quality?

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Hi all,
I'm trying to animate a scene 1920x1080 scene.
Max samples 300
Denoiser at 280
image quality off

The images turn out fine if you look at them on their own. But when they're turned into a video, you notice the different grain on the hair which gives the hair a fuzzy look. The skin / rest of the scene is fine.
Any ideas? Is this because of image quality?
300 samples isn't a lot for something as detailed as many hairs are. You're going to have different pixels with every different convergence levels, and the denoiser will only do so much. But much could also depend on your lighting - good solid lighting helps things converge faster. But hair, what with all the transparency, etc., does not converge quickly.

CaramelCowboy

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2020
Post a pic and we will tell you ;)
Ah I thought of that but it really only shows up when it's in video form. I'll crop hair part to show you what i mean. But yeah I'm guessing it's a samples issue like Rich mentioned. Oh well. Sell kidney. Upgrade PC. Profit.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
what type of video card do you have?

are you talking about something like this?
on the left side & between both eyes
if so then you will have to adjust the hair per frame in the timeline

123654.png

CaramelCowboy

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2020
what type of video card do you have?

are you talking about something like this?
on the left side & between both eyes
if so then you will have to adjust the hair per frame in the timeline

View attachment 1454708
I'm using a 2070. Thank you for your response! My issue is only when the frames animate together. I think I've just been rendering with shitty settings haha

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
I'm using a 2070. Thank you for your response! My issue is only when the frames animate together. I think I've just been rendering with shitty settings haha
Are you rendering it as a movie or image series?

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
image series then exported out as webm through premiere. I noticed it shows up more with darker hair. got better results with a redhead and more samples. attached the horribly cropped file
View attachment 1455093

The webm plugin for premier is out of date and not the best thing to use, I export them out as a mp4 on convert it with handbrake. The video looks like a crappy video rather than a crappy render. If the still images look fine its not the render, its the way they are displaying in the video.

Render it out as a different file type at a high quality and you prolly won't see it then.

Reactions: CaramelCowboy

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
well every time the hair moves left to right to forward and back it will show different lighting each time
try to set couple more light at a different location also you can make the spotlights move with the hair also

I wouldn't use Denoiser in daz for animations
I would use NVidia AI Denoiser 2.4
https://f95zone.to/threads/nvidia-ai-denoiser-2-4.35677/

your video card is one step above mine I have a 2060 if you want perfection then go buy a couple of P4000 or P5000

I can't help you with premier I never used it

CaramelCowboy

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2020
The webm plugin for premier is out of date and not the best thing to use, I export them out as a mp4 on convert it with handbrake. The video looks like a crappy video rather than a crappy render. If the still images look fine its not the render, its the way they are displaying in the video.

Render it out as a different file type at a high quality and you prolly won't see it then.
Can I ask what render settings you use for your image series?

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Personally, I usually rely on the "image quality" setting, and set it to 90%. So, I'm relying on Daz to make sure that areas have converged reasonably well. I do not use the denoiser. These settings do, however, tend to generate a lot more iterations than you were using. (I'm using dual 1080's, which works out close to your 2070 brute-force-wise, I think.)

Frequently, I'll render the background as a single JPG, and then render the animated parts as a PNG with a transparent background, and composite afterwards. That cuts down on re-rendering the background over and over and over, meaning that the 90% is devoted to the pixels in the "figures of interest." Does present issues with shadows if you're not careful, however.

But, that being said, I know everybody has their own recipe. What works for me may not work for you.

• Love

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Format H.264

Video settings are blanked out I assume because of the format

In the video settings scroll down to encoding settings

Performance - Hardware

Bitrade encoding CBR
Target Bitrate 65
Use Max Render quality
Interpolation Free Sampling

That are just fudged and I have no idea what half of it means :D

Overall though my animations are similar to yours, most of them are 300 iterations with the denoiser set at 299 though, that's on a 3060ti but I used to use a 2070 with the same settings, just took longer.