Great art vs. outstanding/ top tier art (post work)

DonJoe

Jul 15, 2019
There are a lot of great artists here, and I consider myself as somebody who is able to take everthing Daz Iray is willing to give (havn't tried layers/exr though).
But there are a few games with really outstanding art, and it has to do with perfect lighting and sharpness/ blurriness in exact the right spots.
The style looks similar and I guess they do at least two separate renders for characters and background, I'm sure layer masks/ adjustment layers and layer styles are involved too. :)
But I also think they don't spend hours for a single pic. :unsure:
So any tips or/ and links to tutorials to create an outstanding pic based on a good quality render (in no time ;)) ?

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
From my understanding, for really outstanding work and light years away from what I can do, most pros canvas/channel/layer render every scenes and do all the post-work on PS.

I think this video explain more better, even if he uses Vray for Sketchup, it's the same for Daz Iray :

I guess in the end, it's all matter of practice, and with time people should be able to do it within a reasonable time (find shortcuts, avoid unnecessary/optional tasks)... But it's quite overwhelming to say at least o_O.

For myself, as I hate post-work, I just use Luminar for quick adjustement/corrections :ROFLMAO:.

Last edited:

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Unless you are an arty type post work is only going to fix things, not really help you get outstanding results. I have been using photoshop for years, way before DAZ, I still only do one of the same 4 things to brighten pictures up. Apart from using it to fix things using the clone tool or healing brush, thats about it. I know how in theory to do some flash things but I am a hack, not an artist so I can't get them to look right anyway. I'm with no__name I hate post work.

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
From my understanding, for really outstanding work and light years away from what I can do, most pros canvas/channel/layer render every scenes and do all the post-work on PS.

I think this video explain more better, even if he uses Vray for Sketchup, it's the same for Daz Iray :

I guess in the end, it's all matter of practice, and with time people should be able to do it within a reasonable time (find shortcuts, avoid unnecessary/optional tasks)... But it's quite overwhelming to say at least o_O.

For myself, as I hate post-work, I just use Luminar for quick adjustement/corrections :ROFLMAO:.

DAMN !!!! I must find my jaw on the flor.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Unless you are an arty type post work is only going to fix things, not really help you get outstanding results. I have been using photoshop for years, way before DAZ, I still only do one of the same 4 things to brighten pictures up. Apart from using it to fix things using the clone tool or healing brush, thats about it. I know how in theory to do some flash things but I am a hack, not an artist so I can't get them to look right anyway. I'm with @no__name I hate post work.
I think it really depends on what your are doing and your workflow, and I assume that most of the devs here work alone, at least on the render part. I mean if you're working on a typical "sand-box" type game, where you will use the same render over and over again, I don't think it's a bad idea to put extra work into these renders. Now if you go for a more linear VN, where most renders are seen only one time, the amount of extra work is astonishing (and once you set a quality bar, it's gonna be hard to deviate from this, or it's gonna looking weird).