Great site

dokcherry

Jan 3, 2019
Wow! I wish I had know sites like this existed before now.

I've been considering making my own game, and I haven't been able to figure out how to make a city map.

Does anyone have any idea what software would work for that?

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Maybe check out either of these two threads...

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Welcome! :D

Besides free assets on line, you can always use free tools such as gimp, inkscape, or blender to create custom art assets.

You say city map so I am assuming you just want a basic map with clickable icons, that just takes a bit of knowledge about the type of game engines you want to use, where typically the map without clickable icons act as one saved image, and each icon is a unique image (some times several image of the same icon, each with different effects such as being highlighted), which the game engine will place on the map and use like a button. How that happens depends on your game engine.

The links @79flavors shared should be a good starting point. Once you have some more specific questions feel free to come back, there are plenty of technical and experienced users willing to help out.

Glad you found us!

Reactions: dokcherry

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
One of the other approaches that people have taken to the actual graphics of a city map (if what you're looking for are the streets) is to find some obscure city on Google Maps and then file off the street names in PhotoShop or GIMP or something like that. I know of at least one game whose city map was done that way.

Reactions: dokcherry

dokcherry

Jan 3, 2019
One of the other approaches that people have taken to the actual graphics of a city map (if what you're looking for are the streets) is to find some obscure city on Google Maps and then file off the street names in PhotoShop or GIMP or something like that. I know of at least one game whose city map was done that way.
Yeah I looked into that, and it seems like an interesting approach, but not really what I'm looking for. I'm more interested in something that you make from icons. There is a game that caught my eye. I'll post a example of what I'm looking for.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
The map looks mostly 3d, the water looks like it was a post background image and the trees behind the town map title looks like they could have been photoshoped in. you can always start with Blender for the 3D stuff. 2.8 beta is out and it is more user friendly than older versions of blender.
heres some collection of houses you could use

(more cartoony buildings)
and you can search for more free things ready to be used by blender. they include things like trees, terrain, car's, etc.
you can also search other sites, but most other sites are not blender focused, so it takes a bit more work to import the files.

dokcherry

Jan 3, 2019
The map looks mostly 3d, the water looks like it was a post background image and the trees behind the town map title looks like they could have been photoshoped in. you can always start with Blender for the 3D stuff. 2.8 beta is out and it is more user friendly than older versions of blender.
heres some collection of houses you could use

(more cartoony buildings)
and you can search for more free things ready to be used by blender. they include things like trees, terrain, car's, etc.
you can also search other sites, but most other sites are not blender focused, so it takes a bit more work to import the files.
Thank you. I didn't even think of using Blender.