• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Tutorial RPGM Guide: Effortlessly Runs Windows Games And RPGM On Linux With Steam Runtime+Proton-GE+Other Stuff That You Might Care About.

arsioxy

Jul 25, 2021
An it just werk tutorial on how to run video games and Japanese rpgmaker titles on Linux by using Steam Runtime + Proton-GE, this guide will also teach you how to hook rpgmaker titles to Textractor and, as an extension to that, it will also teach you how to install the required runtime packages (RTP) for your rpgmaker titles. This is my first time making a tutorial, please excuse the sloppy writing.

All commands listed on this post are for Arch Linux but the processes are quite similar on other Linux distros.

1. Requirement:

Graphic cards that support Vulkan. You need it to be able to run games that utilize dx11, 10 and 9. To see whether your graphic card supports Vulkan or not, check this website:

Note: First, check if you have all the necessary drivers installed

Second, make sure you have Japanese font and Japanese locale is enable, it's very useful for those Japanese Visual Novels or just Japanese games in general. You can install Japanese font with the package manager of your distro and enable Japanese locale by editing /etc/locale.gen with either nano or vim, or a text editor of your choice.

2. Japanese font and Japanese locale:

• Install Japanese font with this command: sudo pacman -S noto-fonts-cjk
  • To enable Japanese locale, open your terminal and type sudo vim /etc/locale.gen, the terminal will then ask you for your password, type it in and then press i key on your keyboard to get switch to insert mode, move around by pressing your arrow keys.
  • Look for the line that has ja_JP.UTF-8, uncomment it by removing the # sign in front of the line that has ja_JP.UTF-8.
  • Then, press ESC on your keyboard to exit insert mode, type :, then type wq!, then hit Enter
  • Next, run this command on your terminal sudo locale-gen
  • Tada, your Linux box can now run applications in Japanese. You can check it by using these two commands, locale -a and LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8 ls --help

3. Install Steam Runtime:

First off, you need to enable multilib repository, multilib contains 32-bit software and libraries and Steam is one of them. To do so, you need to use this command:
  • sudo vim /etc/pacman.conf and then uncomment the multilib section
    Code:
    [multilib]
    Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
  • Save the file with :wq!
  • Now you can install Steam Runtime.
  • sudo pacman -S steam
  • For AMD graphic card, pick vulkan-radeon when prompted.
  • Run Steam through your app launcher or run it directly by typing steam on your terminal and hit Enter
  • Let it run a bit, then login.
  • Go to Steam > Settings > Steam Play > check the box at "Enable Steam Play for all other titles".
  • Steam will then ask you to restart the application, restart.
  • (optional) Install Wine-staging:
    sudo pacman -S wine-staging

Note: Remember to download a free Windows game and run it after you have done all the steps above to make sure Steam got all the necessary components.

4. Get yourself the latest copy of Proton-GE at:

• Alternatively, you can use this handy application for easy installation and management of Proton-GE, called ProtonUp-Qt:
  • Download the latest .AppImage from the github page.

• Before you give the file execute permission, please install fuse2 on your system because AppImage needs it to be able to run. On Arch Linux, you can install fuse2 by using this command:
    sudo pacman -S fuse2

• Now you can go to the directory where the AppImage is located and then give it execute permission with chmod. Usually it's located inside of your Downloads directory.
    chmod +x $HOME/Downloads/*.AppImage
  • Now you can run Protonup-QT by double clicking it or run it straight from the terminal. The application is fairly simple to use.
  • Choose Steam from the install for section, then click add version, then choose Proton-GE in the compatibility tool section, then pick the latest version of Proton-GE, finally, let it install the latest version of Proton-GE for you.
  • Restart your Steam if it's running.

Congratz, now you are about to be able to play your vidyas on Steam, just a couple more steps and you are ready to go. Now, you have to add the game you want to play into the Steam Library. Click on ADD A GAME at the left bottom corner > Add a Non-Steam Game...

After all of that are done, the game will be added in your Steam Library, right click it and choose properties > compatibility > force the use of a specific steam play compatibility tool... > choose GE-proton instead of the vanilla one. You can now execute the game by clicking Play.

5. Hooking your game to Textractor on Linux (only useful if you want to play obscure Japanese RPGmaker games that no one bothers to translate.)

Install protontricks:

You can install it on Arch via the AUR:

• Use yay to install AUR packet:
  • Execute this block:
    Code:
    pacman -S --needed git base-devel
    git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/yay.git
    cd yay
    makepkg -si
  • After yay has been installed on your system, run
    yay -S protontricks-git
  • Press Enter whenever it gives you the diff prompts

Fires up your Non Steam Game on Steam (You have to run the game before you do the steps below. From my testing, Steam refuses to boot up the game when the shell of a game is up). Then, on the terminal, run:
protontricks -s <the name of your game>
to find the appid of your game(the prefix of the game)

Example: if I name my game "a-cool-game" when I add a Non-Steam Game to Steam then the command will be something like this protontricks -s a-cool-game

Copy the appid of your Non-Steam Game and then execute this command:
protontricks <appid> shell

Example: says my appid is something like this "123456789" then the command will be something like this
protontricks 123456789 shell

Now you're in the shell. All you need to do is running Textractor, please use this command:
WINEESYNC=1 wine /path/to/your/Textractor/Textractor(dot)exe

Almost there, open another terminal and use:
protontricks <the game's appid> --gui
Then, > select the default wine prefix > run taskmgr > check the game's process id > copy paste it to Textractor and the game will be hooked to Textractor. And there you have it.

6. Installing RTP for your rpgmaker titles on Linux

Search for the game's appid:
protontricks -s <the name of your game>
Enter the shell (prefix):
protontricks <appid> shell
Then, while you're in the shell, execute this command:
WINEESYNC=1 wine /path/to/your/RTP setup/setup(dot)exe
Install the RTP.

7. Tips:

1. When extract the zip file you got from dlsite, or some other Japanese sites, use this command:
unzip -O shift-jis /path/to/your/zip/file(dot)zip
Otherwise the extracted files will be nothing but a bunch of gibberish.

2. "Please run a virus-check and reinstall the application" error in Japanese RPGM VX ACE titles, simply change the folder name to something in English and run the game again. The folder's name can be anything as long as it only contains English characters.

******Please contribute to the thread by letting me know whether this works for you or not, and let me know if I'm missing something.******

Last edited: